Country
    Singapore

Need advice on DIY mod job.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of modifying my existing custom built 20w FL light to accept the regular FL tube. The custom one is about 1 cm shorter and need to buy proprietry FL tube which is more expensive and not really brighter. As a result I can't use the brighter Hitachi or Philips Supoer80 Fluotone tube.

My problem is the end tube connector/holder are screwed onto a reflective metal sheet. To move them further apart I would need to drill new holes and space is really tight (2 ft hood). Thus I'm thinking of using loose connectors instead of fixed one and get those clips to hold the tube.

But where can I find such clips that hold FL tube ? For your DIY hoof project, how do you mount these clips without screwing right through to the roof of the hood ? Or you just glue them on ?

Appreciate your advice and any other suggestion.

Thks.

Cheers,
    Peter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of modifying my existing custom built 20w FL light to accept the regular FL tube. The custom one is about 1 cm shorter and need to buy proprietry FL tube which is more expensive and not really brighter. As a result I can't use the brighter Hitachi or Philips Supoer80 Fluotone tube.

My problem is the end tube connector/holder are screwed onto a reflective metal sheet. To move them further apart I would need to drill new holes and space is really tight (2 ft hood). Thus I'm thinking of using loose connectors instead of fixed one and get those clips to hold the tube.

But where can I find such clips that hold FL tube ? For your DIY hoof project, how do you mount these clips without screwing right through to the roof of the hood ? Or you just glue them on ?

Thks.

Cheers,
    Peter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Folks,

Thks.

Cheers,
    Peter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Folks,

Thks.

Cheers,
    Peter

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can find FL tube caps and clips at any electrical shop or DIY that sells.

If you glue them on to the cover, make sure:
    - the glue won't melt when the clips or tubes heat up
    - the glue won't turn brittle in the long run from the same heat
    - the glue is strong enough

One possibility is build in some kind of bracing and mount the clips to that.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Hi, when I modified my FL to PL, I simply superglued the holder to the casing of the light! works till now. I guess you can drill but to me its too troublesome, unsightly and not easy since you're trying to drill metal, need to hold the casing very steadily. anyhow I was thinking, since you're going to DIY, might as well upgrade and DIY to hold PL tube? price wise, the only extra you'll pay is a ballast and a PL tube? which will be under $20.

just my 2 rupees worth

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    agree with hoppinghippo.
    why not consider pl.
    36w compared to 20w, runs cooler, saves some electricity and shorter.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks guys for the tips.

an option to glueing is to use epoxy. those that you mix 2 parts into one and knead together like bluetac. very tough when set. almost like rock.

sorry for not filling in more background info.

my set came with 2x20w light. about 9 mth ago, i converted one of them to pl using e-ballast. all parts inc c-clips bought from nature. i recently converted the other ballast for the remaining 20w to e-ballast. the hood feels so much cooler. however i do need to warn that pl itself is not cooler. it is very hot ! due to its energy output in a small form factor, it melts part of the plastic cover.

i have about 56w in total. not the highend 72w for a 2 ft but more than enough for most plants. if i upgrade the other to pl, i think i have to throw away the factory-made plastic cover liao. not easy to replace this cover as it is being held in place by 6 clips.

it will be perfect now if i can use those regular 59cm 18-20w fl light. now i'm using a red so-called plant light. will continue to use it until i find a way to relocate the end-holders.