Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Setting up a breeding tank for Dario sp.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Setting up a breeding tank for Dario sp.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a small tank around 12g which been miserably sitting in the corner of my office empty for over a year and after visting a friend who had just aquired some Dario dario, i thought the tank would be great to set up a little breeding tank for a type of Dario or small Badis sp.

I have actually kept Dario dario before in a high tech planted set up but they didn't last very long probably down to me dosing KNO3 (potassium nitrate) which i later found they arn't very fond of nitrate levels higher than very low.

I have a few questions,

What would be the best number of individuals to keep in my tank?

Also i have found conflicting advice on the internet about water parameters I've read they can live in water from 18-28 degrees C and ph 6-8 and soft to hard water. So what are the best levels to aim for, for breeding.

Thanks for any help.
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    They are actually pretty easy to spawn, but I would suggest to go for a low-tech planted setup for easier maintenance. Provide some easy plants like Anubias sp. or Microsorum sp. for hiding places, and also some moss. I am of the opinion that the dimmer lighting would help the fish be more comfortable with their environment.

If the intention of setting up the tank is just for breeding, then I would go with a pair or a trio. They are egg scaterers. After spawning, I would suggest to remove them as they may eat the eggs or newly hatched fries, and leave the fries to grow up in the tank.

If you intend to just leave them for nature to take its own course, then you can stock more fish, probably six fish (3 pairs or 2 trios). For this setup, use as much moss as possible, so that the fish will find it more difficult to reach the eggs/fries and also provide infusoria for the fries. Then you can leave all of them in the tank.

They aren't all too fussy about water, but I am not too sure about the high pH and hard water. I would go with a pH of 6.0 to 7.0 (or lower). They spawned for me in a plastic tank, with lots of moss, sponge filter and no adjustment of water parameters at all (the pH is probably close to 7.0 on either side).

As mentioned, they are not difficult to spawn and in my experience, the most difficult part is raising the fries, which I admittedly neglected them too much to ensure their eventual survival.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Quixotic & afrotuft,

I read with interest your thread on Dario sp. breeding tank. I am planning to start a tank for Dario Dario aka Badis Bengalensis. Not sure if the same as Dario Sp. However, I cannot find the female of this fish. I got 4 males very active and cute. Now they are in my community tank but am planning to transfer them to a species tank and perhaps try to breed them. I have read many write-ups on breeding Dario Dario, including your thread of course. Perhaps we can share our experiences in breeding this fish. Do you know of any LFS in Singapore where I can find the females of this fish?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    (Edit: I have consolidated your sighting request in this thread, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=39984, good luck)

The abbreviation sp. stands for species. Dario dario is one of the species in the genus, other scientifically known species include Dario dayingensis and D. hysginon.

Their husbandry is rather similar, basically really shy fish, so plenty of hiding places or plant cover would be good for the fish. Not sure if you have read this, but here is a previous discussion which includes their husbandry and how to differentiate the sexes.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ighlight=dario

Most, if not all, of the D. dario sold in our LFS are normally male specimens because the female is not as colourful. However, sometimes they may be accidentally included, but you may have to gamble on them if you are not familiar with sexing them.

Choose the least colourful specimen you can find in the tank and there are chances that it might be a female (even those that are showing some faint bars). So you probably need to go Dario hunting from LFS to LFS to see if you are able to pick up some, unless you post in the Marketplace to purchase known females from fellow hobbyists.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 21st Apr 2008 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Quixotic,

Got 10 D.dario today. Managed to get one definitely female; keeping my finger crossed, and a few paler ones but am not too sureWill update on the success or failure of my experiment in breeding them.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 22nd Apr 2008 at 16:23. Reason: Remove immediate quote