Country
    Singapore

Melafix Plus introduction of Amano Shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys

I just started treating my tank with Melafix yesterday and according to the label need to do this for 7 days.

I am thinking of getting some amano shrimps but can they be introduced to the tank during this period. If not, how long to wait before it is safe to put them in ?
    WaterH2O
    <Fish are Friends, not food>

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My yamato shrimps have no problem with this medication. Shrimp safe. I would belive that you can introduct the shrimps into your tank if you wish.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i have had no problems with melafix and sakura shrimp either. i think it's the copper in some medications that kills shrimp, and melafix uses a tea tree oil extract instead of copper so it should be safe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks guys
    WaterH2O
    <Fish are Friends, not food>

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterH2O View Post
    Hi guys

I just started treating my tank with Melafix yesterday and according to the label need to do this for 7 days.
    A question for the expert brothers here. If the label advises a 7-day treatment, what happens if it's not followed through for 7 days?

I've discus in my quarantine tank being trated with Melafix for eye problem, and the problem's gone away and eyes are recovering, but only after two treatment of Melafix dosed 4-5 days apart with water change.

I'm not a fan of the Tea-tree smell that comes with Melafix, and worried about the carcinogenic warning on the label, hence not wanting to handle the stuff too often. So, what do the experts here think? Should Melafix be treated like an anti-biotic and carried through for an entire prescribed period?

Feedback Score
    Country
    New Zealand
    If you don't follow through with full treatments of any medication you run the risk of increasing resistance in the disease organism. If this happens your fish may not respond to treatment if/when the get sick again.