1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Planted tank turned milky after CO2 injection

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Not sure why, water turned milky after 1 week of DIY yeast injection. Shouldn't be bacteria bloom as my tank is about 3 months old. Hairgrass and moss all doing well though.

Time to change water?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    i highly suspect that it might be a case of the DIY mixture escaping / seeping into the tank. I had such an experience before as my 2 ft tank seems to be like somebody poured a cup of Horlicks into it and i did a 50% water change.

The flora and fauna are alright.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Salphur; 23rd Feb 2008 at 12:24. Reason: change words.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most likely the yeast and sugar solution got into the water. Another possible thing is that there is free calcium ions in the water that forms calcium carbonate, that can happen if you use limestone or coral as substrate. Whichever it is, change the water.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    but how does it seep when i have check valve in place, and the outflow tube is right there at bottle cap level, so it doesn't touch the DIY yeast+sugar. I've however observed that the tube leading into the water is turning whitish instead of being transparent, its possible it could be the CO2 by product.

By the way, PH is quite low from 7.5-> 6 in a week.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    but how does it seep when i have check valve in place, and the outflow tube is right there at bottle cap level, so it doesn't touch the DIY yeast+sugar. I've however observed that the tube leading into the water is turning whitish instead of being transparent, its possible it could be the CO2 by product.

By the way, PH is quite low from 7.5-> 6 in a week.
    i have that experience before. the mixture managed to pass through 2 check valves and more than 2 metres of hose. all my shrimps died the next day even after massive water change. and my 50% WC continued for almost 1 week.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i just did a 100% water change. Will continue to monitor. That the good thing about having only a planted tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wah.. 100% ah??? i still dare not to do 100% yet. but continue to monitor the water...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    jason,

i have a plant only tank, so pretty much can subject my tank to massive changes without too much concern. I used to own a shrimp/snails/fish to manage algae previously, but found them hard to maintain eventhough algae was well controlled.

Now i have slightly more algae but no worries.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i see..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I have been monitoring my tank parameters for the past 2 weeks since it became cloudy after introducing co2 to the tank. Previously was dosing only excel and have only faced cloudy waters when i first started sometime in Nov, since then it was crystal clear waters all the way.

I have a matured planted tank of 4 months with no fauna. Tank parameters and DIY co2 is setup as the following.

Tank
    1- 9L cube tank
    2- japanese HG + tw moss only
    3- Gex shrimp and plant soil
    4- OHF with biohome plus-> gex default carbon filter-> ocean free filter wool
    5- 12W gex PL lights

DIY Co2
    1- yeast sugar sodium bicarbonate
    2- 1.5 L ->checkvalve -> 600 ML co2 containment -> check valve -> DIY nano internal reactor. See pics.
    3- Powerhead + lights programmed with theben timer

Basically these are my observations.
    1- Water became extremely cloudy after 2nd day of water change. Previous night, water was crystal clear.
    2- Water became more cloudy with powerhead off, and residual co2 gas bubbles are allowed to float up once they reach the partial unblock inlet for the powerhead.
    3- Water immediately became more cloudy with 700ML of water top up in just 3hrs during the 5th day.
    4- Only the clear silicone tubing into the water has gone all whitish, the rest of the tubelines are fine.

My questions.
    So even with this setup with the co2 containment bottle/ check valve, is the yeast still leaking into the tank causing the cloudy waters

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm, water is cleared this morning again..... this is the 2nd time within the week, water has gone from cloudy-> clear in 2 days.
    By the way, i dose potassium twice a week, and sera liquid ferts once a week.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A check valve is to prevent tank water from getting into the regulator which will damage it. NOT to prevent the DIY mixture from getting into the tank.

DIY CO2 can froth quite a bit. Maybe it is the foam in the head space getting in.

Either that or bacteria boom or green water. You will be surprised how fast bacteria can grow with a bit of dead bodies or over-feeding.

ck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks yeo for clarification. Mine is a planted tank, so no overfeeding. I dose 1 drop of liquid fert and 1 drop of potassium per week only.

So technically, bacteria bloom should be minimise coupled that my tank has already been cycled for 4 months. The cloudy water has been coming ON/OFF for the past 2 weeks, really headache, I really do not know what is wrong.

I will try to do a different 600ML containment bottle with the likes of a bubble counter and see the effects.

Will update again. Thanks yeo.