Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help.. what is this long algae??!?!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help.. what is this long algae??!?!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

desperately need help...... I have a tank newly setup about 2 months ago.

Recently, I had notice this algae about 2 - 4cm long, that grows in strands on the edges of my plants leaves... it has attacked my wisteria, amazon broad sword plant, nana...etc.

It grows on the edges of the plants and is defintely not the dreaded BBA... I tried pulling it out of the plant but it appears to cling tightly to my plant...

regrets, I do not have a photo ready...will try get a digi cam to check..

fert regime..
    seachem potassium
    seachem iron
    lights is 4 tube of 55W PL for a 4 X 1.5 X 1.5 tank over a 6 hr period.
    CO2 is at 1.5 bubble per second

2 Question:

1) what algae is it and what is the cause?

2) What is the remedy for it?

thanks..

regards
    newcastle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it sounds like either hair or staghorn algae. i notice that you are not dosing Nitrogen (N), Phosphate (P) or micro ferts. that is likely the cause of your problem as plants need all of the above. Not dosing N or P is probably limiting the uptake of iron by your plants and as such hair algae is invading. my personal experience was that when i overdosed iron (as my micro formula didn't have iron in it), hair algae started invading. i changed my micro formula to one that contained iron in its pre-mix and was assumably not an overdose and the hair algae retreated

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Same problem I am encountering now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had the same algae on my plants as well in a my 3 ft tank. I thought it is hair algea but they are not green more like brown.They are also too soft to be staghorn so not sure what is it. Do not have remedy for this yet.

What I noticed is these grow mostly near to the top part of the plant where it is nearer to the surface of the water. I have trimmed of most of it.
    Test my tank.
    PH 7 and KH 4 and that translated to about 12 ppm of CO2 which should be all right.
    I suspect it is my fert regime that has some problem. I am only dosing Sera Flora.. about 10-15ml on a weekly basis (usually after wc).

If my tank lack nutrients can it also give raise to these kind of algea?
    WaterH2O
    <Fish are Friends, not food>

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How do you guys here does Nitrogen, Phosphate and potassium (NPK) into your tanks.

I keep seeing terns such as KNO3 coming up but have no idea what it is. Can elighten?
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterH2O View Post
    I had the same algae on my plants as well in a my 3 ft tank. I thought it is hair algea but they are not green more like brown.They are also too soft to be staghorn so not sure what is it. Do not have remedy for this yet.

What I noticed is these grow mostly near to the top part of the plant where it is nearer to the surface of the water. I have trimmed of most of it.
    Test my tank.
    PH 7 and KH 4 and that translated to about 12 ppm of CO2 which should be all right.
    I suspect it is my fert regime that has some problem. I am only dosing Sera Flora.. about 10-15ml on a weekly basis (usually after wc).

If my tank lack nutrients can it also give raise to these kind of algea?
    mine are everywhere near the substrate (I think because all my plants are foreground plants, mainly HG and HC). I am still figuring what could be the problem, right now I am re-designing my fert dosing regime and adopting all measures to rid those algae.

I uses ADA soil which alter's the PH level of my tank. Which is why I only a drop checker to verify my CO2 level in my tank is alright.

As for you dosing only Sera Flora, I am not so sure about its chemical %. Any experts can advise?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One thing for sure Sera Flora does not have phosphate and nitrite because on its label is says so. Reason given is phosphate and nitrite is abundant in an aquarium. Starting to doubt that.
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm not to question your statement, then again if PO4 and nitrite, why would people dose even during starting up a planted aquarium?

Now I introduce 10 Yamato shrimps and 2 SAE to clean up the algae, they are doing a exellent job now. But I have yet to master how to minimise or control my water parameters to prevent the algae from booming again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Forgot to mnetion that I practicing the "Sieasta" method of light control that is my lights goes off between 12 - 5 pm. May be that is the reason
    my algea is growing only near the surface.

Just need to know what I need to dose for my fert regime. Any idea I can start with?
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Forgot to mnetion that I practicing the "Sieasta" method of light control that is my lights goes off between 12 - 5 pm. May be that is the reason
    my algea is growing only near the surface.

Just need to know what I need to dose for my fert regime. Any idea I can start with?
    Aglae tend to hate alternate photo periods. I am doing a 2 hr intervals with only 6 hr photo period each day.

I was recommended to Lushgro by a fellow bro. Bought Lushgro Aqua, Micro and KH2PO4. As for dosage, i did alot of research and reading up in forums. You can refer to my thread http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=37846

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KH2PO4 is a name of the chemical. Does it has a brand name or it is just called Potassium Mono Phosphate?
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    KH2PO4 is a name of the chemical. Does it has a brand name or it is just called Potassium Mono Phosphate?
    all the fert i mentioned above are from Lushgro

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought 6 SAE and 10 Yamato to deal with the problem...

also did a 50% water change and trim off all plants with the algae...

this is a short term measure..

but need to find out why...

i am not dosing only SeaChem Potassium and ADA Shade Brightly which has nitrogen and phosphate.

hope the problem is settled..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    good luck to both of us

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    guys are your yamatos seen out in the open eating or are they hiding all the while.
    I introduce 10 but have not seen them out in the open gazing. They MIA. No dead bodies just disappeared. Any idea why?
    Has it to do with the other tank inhabitants? The only fish enough to scare them i think are the 4 torpedoes (Punitis Denosonii).
    Or have to wait for a while before they are seen in the open?
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    mine are always out everywhere gazing the algae. If no bodies are found, probably they are been preyed liao.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    All 10 of them being eaten up is unlikely. Could it be my water parameter not good for shrmps?
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There had to be empty shells if any of them die even without bodies.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I found 2 of them hiding behind my plants. most likely the rest are still hiding around. extremely good stealth skills these buggers
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    porbably mine can be seen as I provide no form of hiding place in the tank, only rocks with HG and HC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast