Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Cotton Wool Disease on PLANTS?

Feedback Score

Cotton Wool Disease on PLANTS?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've heard of cotton wool disease that happens to fish... but over the last two days or so, some cotton wool like material has started to appear on the top portion of my plants near the surface of the water. Those parts of the leaves have started to brown as well today. Any one else experiences that before?
    -----------------------------
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score

I've heard of cotton wool disease that happens to fish... but over the last two days or so, some cotton wool like material has started to appear on the top portion of my plants near the surface of the water. Those parts of the leaves have started to brown as well today. Any one else experiences that before?
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score

Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score

Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems to me like algae more than anything else. No such thing as cotton wool disease on plants though..just algae. (Too much light for low light plants? Or too much liquid fertilizer?)
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The cotton wool that you're refering to fish should be a fungus.

But for plants, it may be some nest built by some insect.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Are you using DIY CO2? Had some white jelly thingy when I used DIY CO2 for my 2ft tank.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    i had the same problem with diy co2 on my tank....if u have malayan shrimp,give them a few days,they'll clear it up for u...u can prevent this from happening by having another bottle and run the tubing into tt bottle with some water in it to trap inpurities and another tubing from the second bottle to channel the co2 into ure tank...works like a charm...[]

Feedback Score
    Must be the DIY CO2. It happened about 2 days after I started using it! Ahhh... you guys are genius![]

Oh one more thing... you know how the plants are sold in the plastic cup thingie with cotton wool stuffing? Is it ok to just plant the whole thing in or it is really necessary to take it out and plant the plants in the gravel direct?
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    i think its better to take out the cotton wool,leaving it there will hinder the plants taking root into ure substrate...and tt won't be good...thats just my opinion..not sure how true tt is...[] i'm still a newbie

Feedback Score
    Gosh,

I have done everything. Trimmed the leaves and removed all the cotton woolly stuff, the browning leaves, added a CO2 counter with water to "filter" the impurities from the DIY CO2 but it keeps on appearing![]

I've already trimmed off most of the leaves, my tank will be bare soon. And if that's not bad enough, the cotton thingie has started to spread to my Riccia. That means I WON'T be able to trim them

Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have those immediately after dosing Dennerle Gold 7. It looks like some bateria stuff. I think it is quite harmless. My SAEs used to gobble them up within a day.

I don't think the browning leaves got anything to do with the white stuff. I think you are refering to the Valisneria. The browning leaves was probably due to the cotton wool which you did not remove. Valisneria will take some time to establish. Initially most of the leaves will shed. After the roots are properly grown in, it will take off.

BC

Feedback Score
    Oh... never knew almost everything will be shed. I got pretty upset when they did... its been 2 weeks since and yes, the Vals are growing FAST!!! I put in 2 SAEs and 2 OTOs within the last 2 weeks as well. No more cotton stuff!

Thanks for the advice everyone!
    Clarence Hoe