Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ID: Is this worm a leech?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Saw one worm which looks like the one below (see link) in my shrimp tank. Size around 4cm. It's black and kind of flat and move quite fast (kind of difficult to catch it). Burrows itself in the substrate and wriggles like a tubiflex worm. What is it ? It's a leech or worm and will it harm my snails or shrimps ? Thanks.

YouTube - Leech
    Last edited by vinz; 1st Mar 2008 at 14:46. Reason: Convert youtube link to embedded video.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to AQ.

The clip is rather blur but it looks more like an eel than a worm...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it just might be a leech that hitchhiked into your tank. I don't think shrimps and fishes are at risk, but that's just guessing. I suppose it's best to catch it out.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think it's a leech. Errr... tape worm?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Well, i think its most likely a leech. I saw it alot here, where I got netting in the river, always being suck by them. Put a salt, and they will die.

Leech feed on blood, by sucking, attach to their pray such as human and event fish. I would strongly advice you to remove it from your tank.
    Regards,
    Flashout
    http://www.flashout.net

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks alot bros. Be it either a leech or a worm, I will definetly want to catch it out. But my tank is quite heavily planted with moss and drift woods and that bugger move really fast. Once it notice you gonna catch it, it will burrows itself into the substrate and disappers. Smart fellow haha..

Quote Originally Posted by flashout View Post
    Well, i think its most likely a leech. I saw it alot here, where I got netting in the river, always being suck by them. Put a salt, and they will die.

Leech feed on blood, by sucking, attach to their pray such as human and event fish. I would strongly advice you to remove it from your tank.
    If I'm gonna add salt into the tank, will it harm my shrimps as well ? I've crs, cherry and tigers in the tank. How much salt should I dose then ? Thanks.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 3rd Mar 2008 at 21:28. Reason: SMS lingo: 'u'

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Try creating a trap... look into the DIY section.

For me, few thing can use to control them. Try to reduce the feeding of fish food, introduce fish/ loach that can eat them such as puffer fish.

IMO, i prefer this method rather then using chemical.
    Regards,
    Flashout
    http://www.flashout.net

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by trevally View Post
    Saw one worm which looks like the one below (see link) in my shrimp tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by flashout View Post
    Try to reduce the feeding of fish food, introduce fish/ loach that can eat them such as puffer fish.
    Loach/puffers/some fish aren't shrimp safe though.

trevally, I could be wrong, but doesn't that "shrimp tank" look more like a bowl? If it is a bowl, then keeping shrimps in a such kind of "tank" can prove to be difficult, where keeping the water conditions clean and stable can be a struggle. I would suggest to tear down the "tank", transfer the shrimp to at least a 30 cm cube tank. Not only do you get rid of the "alien", the new setup will provide a much better environment for keeping your shrimps successfully.

My 2 cents worth...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    Loach/puffers/some fish aren't shrimp safe though.

trevally, I could be wrong, but doesn't that "shrimp tank" look more like a bowl? If it is a bowl, then keeping shrimps in a such kind of "tank" can prove to be difficult, where keeping the water conditions clean and stable can be a struggle. I would suggest to tear down the "tank", transfer the shrimp to at least a 30 cm cube tank. Not only do you get rid of the "alien", the new setup will provide a much better environment for keeping your shrimps successfully.

My 2 cents worth...
    That video from youtube doesn't belongs to me. I was searching the net for something that resemble the "worm" that I seen in my tank. It's difficult to take a pic of that "worm" as most of the time its hiding in the substrate. Finally I managed to catch one out and confirmed its a leech but there are still quite a few leeches in my tank.

Bro flashout, I think a trap will do the trick in catching those leeches. Wish me successs.