Thread: Hair Algae control

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    If you add non-limiting nutrients and CO2 with good water movement throughout the tank, you shouldn't be having algae issues. I have not had hair algae for a very very long time. You would some elbow grease work to eradicate it via lots of trimming and maintain good conditions so that you do not trigger the germination of that species again.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually to say low light less algae might be too general a statement to make. It actually depends on what kind of plants the tank have right? Say if you have fast growing plants and provide low lights than most likely algae is going to have the upper hand right because the low light is limiting the uptake by the plants?
    WaterH2O
    <Fish are Friends, not food>

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dosing Seachem Excel can solve hair algae problem?
    Ariel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    An emphatic NO. Learning to grow plants will help solve more than 1/2 the problem.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a minor hair algae problem. No succcess so far in getting rid of it. I can however share what ive tried so we know what doesnt work.

SAE - Does not eat hair algae
    Cherry shrimp - does not eat hair algae
    yamato shrimp - does not hair eat algae
    (I know some bros here recommend Yamato as a soloution, but it hasnt worked for me or my frens tank.)

All of them actually eat is BBA. I had a tonne of bba on one of my filters, after 3 days, all gone!

Will now try to get my nurients right and manual removal and get back to u guys and see if it works.

I got a :
    2 feet tank,
    ada aquasoil,
    no fertilisers added,
    C02 injected and 2 bubbles per second
    50ish watt light
    lots moss and some hair grass

abt 15 cherry shrimps
    2 SAE
    1 yamato, initially had 5 but 4 of them perished after 3 weeks

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Rosy barb will eat hair algae, but it will also eat your moss.
    Hair algae is very plant like. If the infestation is minor, you can ignore it as SAE/Yamato can keep it under control. [trimming does too]

If you want to rid of it once and for all, try restarting the tank and ridding off as much moss and other plants as possible. Soaking whatever plants you want to save in 1/19 bleach/water with the hair algae in it. As soon as the hair algae is starting the lighten in colour to a transparent green/brown you can remove your plants and soak it in anti chlorine water. If you remove it too quickly, it will come back. But if you do it for too long, the more sensitive plants will also die.

Expect die off, but the new growth would be free of hair algae. How to manage what's left in the tank is another problem. Do I dump everything?
    A hard decision, Aquasoil/Gex is not cheap! I dug up everything and created emerse setup for plants with the soil and bleached the whole tank overnight!

Not for the fainthearted, enlist buddies to help.

Been there done that, now I still have some hair algae in tank for thinking wasteful to throw/bleach kaw kaw all the plants. But can live with it, the only problem is I cannot exchange plants with anybody from that particular tank. I have one other tank without hair algae, this tank used small bits of moss that are algae free and slowly culture till there's a big enough mass for back up. took over a year. After this ADA comp thing I will thrash the main tank and start from scratch....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, Hair Algae defeated

Ok folks now to conclude my from my previous post on hair algae removal. I did 2 additional things which defeated the hair algae. I started to dose NPK as Ive heard that lack of P and K will cause Hair algae. I also intoduced 10 Malayan shrimp into the tank. I did notice that the shrimp immiediately started picking on the Hair algae. I believe if bros use this method, you will be rid of your hair algae. Point to note, starving my shrimp ( i have cherrys, yamatos and Malayan) induced them to clean up the whole tank of algae. If you dont starve them, they will simply wait to be fed. I normally starve them for 2 days and it seems to work.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

interpet Anti Hair Algae

Hi,
    Came across this in C328, has anyone tried this? If possible some feedback please.

Thanks.
    Last edited by chiller; 2nd Jun 2008 at 20:49. Reason: add pic.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    Hi,
    Came across this in C328, has anyone tried this? If possible some feedback please.

Thanks.
    I havent tried it yet. But I will definitely buy it if the label show a shrimp instead of a discus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking my thoughts

hihi just wanted to share with you my experience with anti-algae solution, i once dose the recommended amount from a brand which i don't think i should mention. What happened was that some of my fish (maybe those less-tolerant) couldn't make it the next morning and the algae are still there. i'm currently facing BBA in my tank which i usually spray the affected parts with seachem excel. For the mechanical parts (plastic) i'll take them out and soak them in boiling water, because i tried the bleech treatment but will a little worried that there might still be traces of bleech when i put the plants back in. If you soak them in bleech too long (poor judgement of time like me), the plants might shrink and die. just my 2 cents worth

cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by catohcat View Post
    I havent tried it yet. But I will definitely buy it if the label show a shrimp instead of a discus
    I share the same sentiment too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro Jungle-mania once had a troubled hair algae issue and did his own experiement. Here's his thread on how he went about rectifying it.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=31873

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by catohcat View Post
    I just dosed this in my office tank today.

Will update.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by carlfsk View Post
    I just dosed this in my office tank today.

Will update.
    Hey guys, updates!

This product cleared my tank of staghorn and some hair algae within days of dosing the recommended dosage. No harm is done to my java fern, tennellus, and cryptocoryn. But somehow, it seems to have stunt the growth of the japonica. Not very sure the japonica, because before the dosing, they seems to have poor growth anyway, and I wonder what is lacking. Maybe light is lacking for them.

Oh, the shrimps are living a normal and happy life in there as always.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks bro,
    Sounds wonderful! Will give it a try.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My tank now is bad infested by hair algae, from tank wall, moss wall, flame moss, plants and even moss ball!
    However, I discovered some very strange, no hair grass grow on my mud rock!
    Any people can help to explain?

????

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Try blackout for a few days it may help. Actually i have the same problem as you. Mine is worst all my moss have hair algae but i manage to eradicate it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    This is common problem for shrimp tank without SAE to take care of the fuzz/hair algae.
    Last edited by StanChung; 5th Jul 2008 at 12:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    From the 5 pics, i am guessing you are missing the fast growers in your balance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by moss_guy View Post
    Try blackout for a few days it may help. Actually i have the same problem as you. Mine is worst all my moss have hair algae but i manage to eradicate it.
    Bro, how did you eradicate, care to share? Blackout for a few days does it affect the shrimps?

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    From the 5 pics, i am guessing you are missing the fast growers in your balance.
    Thanks bro, will get some fast growers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast