Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snail

snail

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Those damn snails are driving me crazy. I tot already got rid of them after I introduce 12 loaches

Then now everynight I see them in my CO2 reactor, then once I see that I take the reactor out soak in hot water to kill them. Then maybe 1 hr later you see snails again.

I am thinking if it is possible for them to hide and reproduce in my filter but as you know the filter has filtering materials inside, how can they ????

I'm short of buying of snail away products.

snail

Those damn snails are driving me crazy. I tot already got rid of them after I introduce 12 loaches

Then now everynight I see them in my CO2 reactor, then once I see that I take the reactor out soak in hot water to kill them. Then maybe 1 hr later you see snails again.

I am thinking if it is possible for them to hide and reproduce in my filter but as you know the filter has filtering materials inside, how can they ????

snail

snail

I open the filter and saw more than 200 snails inside, sucks, no choice. I soak all everything in hot water, kill everything

Now my filter under recycling again *sian* but I guess the gravel in the tank itself and plants should be able to absorb the excess Ammonia.

Strange after I put back everything my plants are bubbling crazy, never see them like this before especially the red flame. Cool.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You cleaned your filter, but what about those from the tank? They will come back to haunt you again []

I don't see anymore from the tank. If still got I'll get those snail away medication. Wonder how effective they are???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Weileong: Are you talking about those round Ramshorn snails? I have success at keeping their population under control by keeping those normal Glass Shrimps (feeder shrimps). My 4 Clown Loaches I put in more than two years ago have grown to 5" but they had never eaten the snails.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

----------------
    On 11/9/2002 4:57:25 PM

Weileong: Are you talking about those round Ramshorn snails? I have success at keeping their population under control by keeping those normal Glass Shrimps (feeder shrimps). My 4 Clown Loaches I put in more than two years ago have grown to 5" but they had never eaten the snails.
    ----------------
    yes yes right, those bloody Ramshorn snails. Hmm.. glass shrimps ??? those big size ones is it? If this is the case I'll go out and grab 5 pcs, is it sufficient for my 4ft?

I bought 5 clown loaches but 4 had died left one only. I actually see them eating when I just introduce them to the tank, now don't see them eating anymore.

I think I'll have to resort to the "snail away" if all fails. Have anyone of you tried and it actually works?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Snail away may not be good for your plants... I think better find out more before you use it.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

yeah, I'll try the grass shrimps 1st, where can I buy it? I think most of the place will have right?

okie, after trying out puffer fish (died after 2 weeks), clown loaches (after sometimes seems like they don't eat snail anymore???). Wash filter in boiling water, I still see those snails, pull out the old leaves and saw them hidding at the lower part of the plants. Yesterday I bought the JBL snail killer. Added to the tank according to the instruction.

Last night I still see some snail crawling around but this morning I saw some dead already. The instruction says to change 50% of the water 2 days later. I will do that then follow with a 2nd dosage to ensure I get rid of the last bit of snails.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I still say stick with the puffers... get another one if yours is dead... my lone puffer kept my 5 ft tank snail free... I know this cause once I removed it, I started to see snails again. Loaches don't help much, had a couple of them but they didn't do squat. Snail away stuff is probably bad for your planted tank.
    Allen

----------------
    On 11/12/2002 9:58:14 AM

I still say stick with the puffers... get another one if yours is dead... my lone puffer kept my 5 ft tank snail free... I know this cause once I removed it, I started to see snails again. Loaches don't help much, had a couple of them but they didn't do squat. Snail away stuff is probably bad for your planted tank.
    ----------------
    Hiak....... I'll monitor the situation and see how it goes, no good for planted tank also already added it in liao, if after sometime the snails come back again I'll get a puffer, actually they are quite hardworking, swim around you see them biting at the leaves of the plants and I presume they are eating those very small snails that is hard to see.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Hiak....... I'll monitor the situation and see how it goes, no good for planted tank also already added it in liao, if after sometime the snails come back again I'll get a puffer, actually they are quite hardworking, swim around you see them biting at the leaves of the plants and I presume they are eating those very small snails that is hard to see.
    ----------------
    Unless you happened to buy the only vegetarian puffer around...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to get lots of these ramshorn snails, now I don't have anymore, I want to get somemore.. lol...

(pakistani loach..)

if you want to stop snails from getting into your filter, why don't you put a filter sponge (those sold x 3 for the otto series) over your water inlet, act like a prefilter

Unless you happened to buy the only vegetarian puffer around...

----------------
    Got meh? The one I bought is small small one. Very cute actually and I see that it tried to chase after my tetra's tail but it's too slow, I meant the tail so small how fast can it swim but the eyes keep looking here and there looking for snails heheheh.

if you want to stop snails from getting into your filter, why don't you put a filter sponge (those sold x 3 for the otto series) over your water inlet, act like a prefilter
    ----------------
    If I add those prefilter then the filter inlet will always got choked. Somemore I am running the surface skimmer so there is a chance that the snail might crawl in from the surface inlet as well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange... I don't get any snails in my filter... the only live things that get into my filter are shrimp...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi people,

Greetings. Deepest sympathy on your snail-infested tank, weileong. Our 4ft tank has also started to show signs of numerous small snails. We see snail, we crush it with tweezers and feed crushed snail to our resident betta. He seems to enjoy this snack.

But if we do get a puffer to help, which species works best against snails? Would be glad of any advice. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast