Images
    Country
    Singapore

Advice needed on a Camera Body & equipment

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm new at photography.... overwhelmed by what to choose or where to start with. Basically, I'm budgeting about $1.5k to get a 2nd hand SLR camera and probably some equipment. Photos that I would like to take are like family outtings, nature and macro shots.

Do hope you may shed some light as I've kindda lost my direction on which one to get, be it brand or anything . But being a noob, I'm quite set on getting a 2nd hand just to play around till I at least get the foundation corect.

Another school of thought is the different functions, provided by different makes and models...

Please try to use layman terms with your replies as I've read some of the treads and tried cross referencing on the terms/jargons used but only to get deeper and deeper into the Land of Sotongs...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There lots of canon user here at AQ

Canon DSLR entry level is 400D, the price should probably/hopefully go down once 450D is out (very-very soon). Not sure if IT show start selling 450D.

It was my first DSLR, bough it December'07 2nd hand with kits lense for $900 with more than 6 months warranty left. I send it to Canon service center for checkup and sensor cleaning. It is not suppose to be free, but somehow I don't need to pay anything. maybe because still under warranty
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    with that budget, you will be good for the 350d+420/430ex+100mm macro.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think you can get a hands on of the Canon EOS 450D at the show.

Their show offering is listed here.

http://www.canon.com.sg/itshow/ITshow-2.html

Going into used equipment is a great way to maximise your budget. I would suggest either a used Canon or Nikon entry level camera and focus more of lens and flashes. Grow the sytem from there to suite your needs.

A basic used system will usually include a camera body and a kit lens. That should get you started already. You can opt to add a used flash or a used macro lens and still be within your budget.

Oh... and it's the skills, not the gear that gives you great pictures. And learning on internet is free and shooting in digital is almost free.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There lots of canon user here at AQ

Canon DSLR entry level is 400D, the price should probably/hopefully go down once 450D is out (very-very soon). Not sure if IT show start selling 450D.

It was my first DSLR, bough it December'07 2nd hand with kits lense for $900 with more than 6 months warranty left. I send it to Canon service center for checkup and sensor cleaning. It is not suppose to be free, but somehow I don't need to pay anything. maybe because still under warranty
    Wow! That seems like a good buy Robert. Hope I'm as lucky as you. I was told that for Nikon, the entry level seems cheap but the gadgets are expensive, whereas for Canon, its the opposite. Moreover there are more Canon users which related to more support and hopefully more spice in the camera marketplace.

Thanks for the url Benny. Its conclusive now that I'm aiming at the a 2nd hand to stretch as much as I can for what I have. Skill, its something I don't have at the moment... initially I was thinking of 'eating snake' by the usage of functions or probably not.

How much would you reckon a pre-loved 350d+420/430ex+100mm macro would cost Simon?

But a major risk I would potentially be facing in 2nd hand goods is how to check it for its quality. Would really appreciate if you may give me some pointers... thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    looking at second hand prices
    350d - ~550-650
    420/430ex - 200-300
    100mm - ~700

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    By the way, do a search for pictures by hristo's (AQUASAR). He has amazing pictures taken with a 350D, 2 flashes and a 50 mm lens that will put many other photographer with much more extensive/expensive gear to shame.

Also have a look at Andreas Werth's thread about close up photography with a 50 mm lens.

These folks and their works are proof that gear is secondary to skills.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaculture View Post
    But a major risk I would potentially be facing in 2nd hand goods is how to check it for its quality. Would really appreciate if you may give me some pointers... thanks
    For flash, I usually not really care as long as the price is right
    For Camera body and Lense, I look for the one with warranty sill left. The reason is because I'm also total newbie, better let the service center do the checking
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With the 450D already out, I'll be real lucky to find a 350d under warranty. I'm a noob too, am thinking of pumping in a little more dough for the assurance of a 400d warranty card...though the estimated figures provided by Simon is really attractive. Hristo & Andreas Werth's photographic skills are really superb.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yours is definetely a good buy Robert. Am surfing and found a out of warranty selling for $1050...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356872

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Found a 350d for sale. Really appreciate if its a good buy as it comes with a warranty. If yes, I'll contact the seller. Thanks.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355169

Greatly appreciate your advices.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought its already sold?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo View Post
    I thought its already sold?
    Which thread are you referring to Billy? I really don't know the status of both. Its the 1st time I ventured into that forum. I'm a handicap with pre-loved camera condition... a warranty for now is my only assurance.
    Last edited by Aquaculture; 7th Mar 2008 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The last thread mentioned that the camera is already sold.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May I know what is a shutter count? I assume its rather important as buyers seems to ask that same question. Here's what I found out;

Canon
    XXXD series - 40,000 shutter count.
    XXD series - 100,000 shutter count.
    XD series - 200,000 or 300,000 shutter count

What happens after that?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaculture View Post
    May I know what is a shutter count? I assume its rather important as buyers seems to ask that same question. Here's what I found out;

Canon
    XXXD series - 40,000 shutter count.
    XXD series - 100,000 shutter count.
    XD series - 200,000 or 300,000 shutter count

What happens after that?
    After that go to Canon Service Centre and change the shutter.
    Once the shutter reached it's limit it might not work properly.
    One point to note if you are getting the Canon 100mm Macro lens, make sure it's the USM model. The earlier model doesn't have USM.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Germany
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by trident View Post
    After that go to Canon Service Centre and change the shutter.
    I fear, that for entry level dslr this won´t pay of.
    In Europe you get a 400D body for less than 470 Euro. Some years ago 300D invented DSLR for 1000 Euro and pulled down a price limit. So today you get a better camera for less than half the price. The kit lens isn´t a bad start and well worth the small extra charge. My suggestion for additional gear would be 1) EF-S 60/2.8 and 2) a (used) 420EX/430EX/550EX/580EX flashgun in good condition. Either with a cord or better with infrared transmitter ST-E2.
    I´m not sure whether how much that would be in your country, here in germany it would be around

530€ - new 400D kit
    320€ - new EF-S 60/2.8
    175€ - used 420EX
    a) 185€ - new ST-E2
    b) 55€ - new Canon Off-camera Shoe Cord 2
    ====
    a) 1210€ = 1790$
    b) 1080€ = 1600$

In Europe there are Cashback Promotions as well...
    You could keep expenses even smaller by getting some of the gear above used.

I´m sure there is a similar Nikon combination as well, but I know Canon equipment better and Nikon should answer somebody else, maybe Eric ;-)

Whatever brand you take, go to a store and try the get the camera into your own hand, making some test shots...
    Last edited by Andreas Werth; 7th Mar 2008 at 23:09.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish (Douglas Adams)
    andreas

andreaswerth.net
    aquarienfotografie.net

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advice Andreas & trident. I'll be on the lookout for second deals on the 350d. Slowly upgrade as I learn...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May I know what is the buying culture at Clubsnap photography? I noticed that a seller states a price then potential buyers come and and sort of start bidding, thought there isn't any indication that its an auction.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah, it is like that a bit abiguous. Even if it is a bid, there is no closing time. So what I do usually is either post or PM the price that I'm willing to pay.
    -Robert

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast