Country
    Singapore

Fire-Bellied Newts in Summer Camp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there,

I have been planning to set up an Emmersed Plants Tank for quite while and finally proceed to set it up on Sunday. This tank will also double up as a backup Vivarium Tank ( Summer Camp ) just in case I need to do some work on my current Newts Vivarium Tank.

I'm starting with some simple plants: downoi, HC and Cryptocoryne wendtii.

More will be posted at the Plant Talk section for further discussion on plants issue.

Yesterday, I actually transfer 5 of my 6 newts over for a one night stay. Here is some pictures that I have taken of my newts.

The one of the left is actually my biggest and fattest alpha Newt.

So far, I don't see my newts fighting over any territory. I actually observed them laying on top or next to each others quite often during lights off. They even shares the same cave as provided using Bamboo Charcoal. The one on top in the right is actually my skinniest and smallest newt.

And finally, a picture just taken from my Newts Vivarium Tank...

To bro Thirteen, I actually took out the newts to check on their health status after looking at your post... It has really been a while since I had taken them out of my tank and I seldom see them out in the open all together. There is actually one more hiding in a cave under the water, but he just refuse to come out, so I had to leave it alone..
    Last edited by Merviso; 13th Mar 2008 at 21:28.

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice newts you have, bro!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Merviso View Post
    Hi there,

So far, I don't see my newts fighting over any territory. I actually observed them laying on top or next to each others quite often during lights off. They even shares the same cave as provided using Bamboo Charcoal. The one on top in the right is actually my skinniest and smallest newt.

You mean he's minute....hee hee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi dwgi32, thanks, I'm trying my best to keep them happy...

Hi sithspawn, hahaha... actually I always like to see them fat and chunky... So in this case, I was hoping to see him smallest but fattest...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    those newts are so fit-looking! looks like most of your newts preferred being on land than water? Do they have hunger-strikes too? My Mr. Skinny is on strike for more 1week i think. Going to pass it to Altum-lover to try care for it tomorrow.

by the way, are you able to determine the gender of your newts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Thirteen, it is always a challenge to try to feed them. Sometimes they eat and sometimes they are just not interested. Some eat everyday while some just never seems to eat. I just try to leave some live tubiflex worm inside the water area so that they can hunt for it when I'm not around.

Out of the 6, only 2 stays in the water most of the time. Another 2 may go in once in a long time.. and the last 2 simply hates water...

I have not try to sex my newts yet. Read somewhere about the different but never take much notice...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I feed my newts every 2 to 3 days. 1 out of 2 always eat. The other is always on hungerstrike. Read about FBN (fire bellied newts) feeding timing is around 2-3days online. Newts are not really very very active creatures so i guess it is reasonable.

Got the following reply from another forum.

Males have a squarish head, a larger cloacal opening, and a flattened fin like tail. Females will be more robust and their had will be slightly smaller. They have a smaller cloacal opening, and their tails aren't flattened much.
    In the wild, Fire Belly Newts will often breed after resting during the cool season. It is recommended to duplicate this when attempting to breed in captivity. Prior to breeding, it is recommended to lower tank temperatures to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Breeding tanks must be equipped with plants. Once ready to breed, temperatures should be increased. Males will initiate breeding by fanning their tail at the female. The fanning motion releases pheromones to attract the female. Once the female is interested, the male will hold the female around the neck; a process called "amplexus". The male will then drop a spermatophore on the ground and move the female over it. The female will then take the spermatophore into her cloaca. Once pregnant, the female will deposit her eggs on the plants within the tank. The eggs are fairly large and easy to see. The eggs will take somewhere between 12 and 17 days to hatch.

Another website with interesting info. on Fire Bellied Newts. Hope can bring your hobby to higher interest level =)
    http://www.reptilechannel.com/frogs-...-bellied-newts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think different newt have different characteristic. I just try to feed them everyday, and when they don't felt like eating, they just turn their head away.

Thanks for sharing the link and information. Don't think I will want to put them inside a freezer... But if they are interested to mate, I will try my best to facilitate

So, will you be adding more companion to your lonely one later...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i do not really wish to keep a lonely newt. Hence, i'm going to give it to brother altum-lover soon, i hope.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well.. Unless you are going to add new companion to your newts, giving it to someone already keeping a few will be the best option..

Anyway, you can get always some Paddle Tail Newts at Pasir Ris instead...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice tank!!! Do you have a cover or anything to prevent the newts from escaping? One last question, does your newts trample and destroy your plants?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    HI Quincy, yes, any tank with the newts must be covered. They are very good at escaping! On the plants, the newts are usually not very active and the damage, if any, is very minimum.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    i do not really wish to keep a lonely newt. Hence, i'm going to give it to brother altum-lover soon, i hope.
    got them today from junliang. The fellow ate like he has never eaten before when he was transfer into a holding tank and wallop up a full cup of tubifex.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hahaha... that's great! It's always very stressful for me to see them not interested in eating...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I knew the pro can do it somehow..even without doing anything. LOL! guess the newt is too picky. Never taken a single bite at the frozen bloodworm i fed. Hope he can grow to a healthy size.

Thanks and best regards again to the kind Altum-lover.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    jun liang,

Sorry merviso use the thread for once...

mind ask you this Fire Belly Newts can be keep under my 4ft planted tank fill with lampeyes, galaxies, shrimps and rummynoses? Will that water lizards whallop them?
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    jun liang,

Sorry merviso use the thread for once...

mind ask you this Fire Belly Newts can be keep under my 4ft planted tank fill with lampeyes, galaxies, shrimps and rummynoses? Will that water lizards whallop them?
    don't think so cos my fbn are with my fishes in my planted 2 feet but they need land area though.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi eddy, no problem, you are most welcomed to use it as much as possible, we are here trying to poison more people anyway...

BTW, my observation is that newts are not very strong swimmer, and they will need to swim up to the surface to breath air, therefore, putting them in a deep tank might be stressful for them. Worse, they might drown if they are not able to reach surface in time...

As for your fish, unless it is staying still in the water, the newts just can't keep up with their speed. My cherry shrimps sometimes even climb on top of them and they are multiplying in my Newts Vivarium...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've witness newt eating small fishes before. Incident rate of that in your tank should be very low as the newt will have difficulty snapping up one of the swifty fishes. However the environment is not suitable for newt. They need land. The MOST IMPORTANT thing about keeping newt is..you need to cover the top of the tank. Yes, put a weight on an acrylic piece with holes is the best. The piece must also totally cover any gaps.. Newts are good escapers and climbers..I learn it the hard way...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would prefer the paddletail to have somewhat of a slight deep tank. 2ft the most. I really love to watch them swim, just like a crocodile but a miniature version. Anyone know the habitat of these newt?

If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast