Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to feed fishes if going away for few days to few weeks???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

How to feed fishes if going away for few days to few weeks???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello, just asking we guys if finish our national service, we need to go for reservist every year. How do we actually look after them when we are gone and there's no one around to help feed the fishes??? If few days still acceptable, can feed them heavily before hand but what if we are going for few weeks inside camp can't book out??? Really having trouble now becase i'm going back on 31th of march till 12th of april Wahaha TOTAL 13 days of in camp training.... Super bored!!!
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    get an autofeeder and ensure that batteries are fresh?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    autofeeder, or get a relative to help? alternatively, what i did for my peruvian angels was to dump all my low grade cherries (tons) into the tank before i left for two weeks. when i reached home, cherries 0 peruvians 1.
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Turkey
    if you have a heavily planted tank you don't need to feed,

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Burky View Post
    if you have a heavily planted tank you don't need to feed,
    huh? i don't understand what you mean by heavily planted tank you don't need to feed?
    Is it that i plant my tank heavily with plants they will create foods for my fishes? Hope after 13 days in-camp training my fishes will still be around.

autofeeder
    Alot of you guys use autofeeder? but i have eight tanks which means i have to get eight autofeeder? Wah..
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think what Burky means is that a heavily planted tank, resembles nature cycle.This means you do not have to feed the fish.however this is not full proof.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    with so many tanks, the best would be to ask a trusted friend or relative to help. that's what my retired uncle did for my 6 tanks when i was away for 2 weeks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
    TOTAL 13 days of in camp training.... Super bored!!!
    13 days..
    no book out? no stay out?

If really like that, then I suggest you request your family members to feed those fishes.
    Prepare/pack the pellets/food and wrote down feeding instruction.

Or you can transfer the fishes to your fish friends. Ask them help you take care.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ben,

Acutually, you can forsake feeding of your fish for up to 2 weeks maximum. Make sure your fish are pretty well-fed and healthy before you leave for the camp(live food will be good, takes longer time to digest in my opinion).

You can check out the advise by Shirly Sharpe : Vacation Fish Care and Feeding as well.

On top of that, if you happen to comm several species of predatory fishes(including cichlids), do make an effort to partition them before-hand. This is because when fish becomes ravenous enough, they may go all out to attack, kill and consume one another for survival.

regards,
    zhan
    Last edited by Ah_ZhaN; 10th Mar 2008 at 15:39. Reason: Fixing the URL of the link

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Auto feeder is a good option

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you're planning to let them go on a fast, it really depends on what type of fishes you are keeping. small fishes would be safer. if you're keeping fishes like red tail cats or gulper cats, you may end up with lesser but fatter tankmates when you return home, if you understand what i mean.

but i would still recommend you to get auto feeders or get external help nonetheless. not worth the risk. ICT already got enough things to worry about.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Exclamation Look At This Reply!!!

I think if you go to almost any pet store you will find feeder blocks, little slow release food pellets about the size of your palm or smaller. You can buy a pack with a couple of them in it so its ALOT cheaper than buying an auto feeder so try it out. you can get one for a couple of days, or a couple of weeks, your choice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
    Hello, just asking we guys if finish our national service, we need to go for reservist every year. How do we actually look after them when we are gone and there's no one around to help feed the fishes??? If few days still acceptable, can feed them heavily before hand but what if we are going for few weeks inside camp can't book out??? Really having trouble now becase i'm going back on 31th of march till 12th of april Wahaha TOTAL 13 days of in camp training.... Super bored!!!
    can do heavy feeding few days before the the last day.
    last day of departure do not feed your fish, just do a 100% wc.
    after your long holiday than come back and feed.

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bee-fin View Post
    I think if you go to almost any pet store you will find feeder blocks, little slow release food pellets about the size of your palm or smaller. You can buy a pack with a couple of them in it so its ALOT cheaper than buying an auto feeder so try it out. you can get one for a couple of days, or a couple of weeks, your choice.
    The pellets you mention wont create milky substance in your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Interestor View Post
    last day of departure do not feed your fish, just do a 100% wc.
    100% wc

I don't agree with this. 100% wc can be deadly to the bacteria.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am not too comfortable with those feeder blocks or slow release food pellets. There is not guarantee that those slow release food blocks/pellets will release/expose food at a fix rate. Under different parameters, they may be released faster than expected, and there will be surplus of food in the tank. If not eaten up in time, it will deteriorate the water chemistry and quality instead. All the livestocks will definitely be affected, even leading to death!

cheers,
    zhan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it depends on what fish you are keeping really.

i used to travel alot when i was keeping arowanas and other monster fish.

i simply throw in like 2 big packs of platties into the tank and just leave for my trip...travel as long as 3 weeks without feeding and they are fine..

the only concern i got is power failure....thats why i always have UPS attached to my tanks and also a wireless IP Camera so I can log in any part of the world to monitor my fish and give a call if something is wrong with them or i cannot access my camera (potiential power failure)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would ask my son to drop in about 10 pieces of (Tetrabits) granules into my 3ft tank each day. It's been working thus far... feeding less is better than over feeding~. For my shrimp tank, i'd drop in a little more Mosura Bioplus and than usual before i report in. ICTs sure have 1 or 2 days break in between unless overseas. So can take that time to do some clearing-up (if you still have the mood and energy to do so!).
    Next project: Converting my 3ft freshwater fish planted tank into a shrimp tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wink

I always use the holiday food. (slow release food pellet). I only put in half the recommended serving. Upon returning, do large water change. No casualties so far.

The starving method (feed well before leaving & starve the fish for a week) didn't work well on me. I lost my entire patch of Ultricularia Graminifolia. Not even the root was left!
    Last edited by uklau; 11th Mar 2008 at 07:12.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I condition feeder fish for my fish, i don't usually like feeding feeder fish, but i will have to be going away for a week and it is the only option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast