Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Anyone into Range Finder cameras?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone into Range Finder cameras?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Will propably be exploring this type of cameras soon. Going back to film.

Anyone else here are also using rangefinders?

Cheers,

p.s. I know juggler is one of them..
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh yes. I have the Bessa R. And old screw mount lenses from Leica and Russian to use on it. Also have the vintage Leica IIIc, amongst other compacts.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I want a Leica M8 !!!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    These guys will be a good investment.
    Always wanted to start a collection but never quite got to it.
    And the prices keep going up...
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler View Post
    Oh yes. I have the Bessa R. And old screw mount lenses from Leica and Russian to use on it. Also have the vintage Leica IIIc, amongst other compacts.
    Hi KF,

Were you actively shoothing with them? Or it's just something you use once in a blue moon?

Anway, whilst the SLR has served me well over the last 20 over years, I've decided to explore other ways to capture images. Rangefinders are know to be fairly lighter than some if not most SLRs and can be relatively quiet. Options for focal length is restricted to 12, 15, 21, 24, 25, 35, 40, 50, 75, 80 and 135 mm (primes only) and macro is limited and at best, 1:3 magnification. Still, it seems like and interesting option.

So, I was looking at the Bessa and have settled for a R3M instead of R3A. These are M mount bodies so it should be fairly easy to find lenses (cheap or otherwise) for them. Incidentally, where did you get the Bessa R from, they weren't exactly to find in Singapore only until recently.

I know the name Leica will be popping up everywhere, but I don't think I'll go in that direction. It screams "Mug me" in many places. Besides, what I pay for a Leica MP/M8 and two lenses is enough for me to build up an entire system using other brands. If I enjoy this system enough, it's compatible with Leica for a seemless 'upgrade' later anyway.

With a film scanner, I think my new journey back into film will not be confined to dusty 4R photo albums in the back of a cupboard somewhere. We'll see. Or perhaps I'll give it all up in a few weeks. Ha!

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    I want a Leica M8 !!!
    Need help? I give you good price!

Quote Originally Posted by celticfish View Post
    These guys will be a good investment.
    Always wanted to start a collection but never quite got to it.
    And the prices keep going up...
    Somehow, Leica cameras are more than just cameras. There are folks out there hogging limited editions and unsed cameras/lenses as investments. The prices of used items are also going up, together with new ones. But it seems that this is only perculiar to Leica. You don't see the same for Canon/Nikon/Minolta, etc.

If I were to invest, I'll probably start with an Leica MP rangfinder body. Best if it's one of the limited edition ones. Goodness, what am I rambling about!?

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 10th Mar 2008 at 12:07.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the only reason I wanted an M8 is because it is digital.

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Anway, whilst the SLR has served me well over the last 20 over years, I've decided to explore other ways to capture images. Rangefinders are know to be fairly lighter than some if not most SLRs and can be relatively quiet. Options for focal length is restricted to 12, 15, 21, 24, 25, 35, 40, 50, 75, 80 and 135 mm (primes only) and macro is limited and at best, 1:3 magnification. Still, it seems like and interesting option.
    don't forget that an RF is a completely different way of seeing the world and capturing it. I am not sure why you would use an RF to do macro.

I don't think you can find an SLR that is smaller and lighter than RF or quieter either.
    Last edited by benny; 10th Mar 2008 at 12:07. Reason: merge posts
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    don't forget that an RF is a completely different way of seeing the world and capturing it. I am not sure why you would use an RF to do macro.

I don't think you can find an SLR that is smaller and lighter than RF or quieter either.
    No... I won't use the Range Finder to do macros. It was just what I found out from my early exploration into this subject.

As for cameras, I thought the Canon EOS 400D/450D is very small. In fact, smaller than some rangefinders. But you need a compact lens to go with that and then it's probably 50 mm f/1.8 only. As for quiet operations, I can only recall the Canon EOS 100 (film camera) can probably rival the non Leica RF cameras.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think RF are "by definition" quieter because they have no mirror.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Benny:

I do use them often enough. Some more than others. Mostly with b/w film and process them myself. No time to print or scan yet.

I got the Bessa R from ClubSnap. Comes up once in a while and should be out of production since it is one of the earlier models. I like it because it can still function w/o batteries which is only needed for metering. It is screw mount and can't take M-mount lenses. No problem as I won't be going for more lenses anyway.

I think RF is useful for candids, not macro. Another option if not using film is the digital Epson R-D1s.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler View Post
    Benny:

I do use them often enough. Some more than others. Mostly with b/w film and process them myself. No time to print or scan yet.

I got the Bessa R from ClubSnap. Comes up once in a while and should be out of production since it is one of the earlier models. I like it because it can still function w/o batteries which is only needed for metering. It is screw mount and can't take M-mount lenses. No problem as I won't be going for more lenses anyway.

I think RF is useful for candids, not macro. Another option if not using film is the digital Epson R-D1s.
    Woah! You actually develop them yourself? I've long forgotten how to do that. Maybe you can teach me!

The Epson R-D1s is nice. It's a discontinued already since it's introduction in 2004. I'm actually looking for one to compliment the system. We'll see if I get lucky.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm using rangefinder.... retired/sold off (almost my entire) dslr gears a year ago and
    went into rf.... a whole new world for me.... love its compactness and stealthy factor
    though still weighs like a brick...haha... also fell in love with b&w film, slides, rf lenses
    & street/abstract/people photography.....and of course there's the leica draw, initially
    anyway...:-p

imo, many rf lenses almost always bring out the "3rd dimension" in a photograph
    when shot wide open and that's a big draw to me...

hope you'll find the joy in rf too....
    Last edited by benny; 18th Mar 2008 at 02:00. Reason: spelling
    What da fish!