Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Rams and small shrimps?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all, I've just introduced some tiny cherry shrimps into my 4 ft tank. will stock up with tetras in 2-3 weeks' time. Thinking of throwing 2 pairs of Butterfly Rams (aka. blue rams/ German rams?).

Heard Rams are sometimes good at eliminating small snails - will these go after my shrimps once the snail population is gone - just like puffers?

BTW, any one knows anywhere that sells Yamatoes. want to get them ASAP too. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Rams and small shrimps?

Dear all, I've just introduced some tiny cherry shrimps into my 4 ft tank. will stock up with tetras in 2-3 weeks' time. Thinking of throwing 2 pairs of Butterfly Rams (aka. blue rams/ German rams?).

Heard Rams are sometimes good at eliminating small snails - will these go after my shrimps once the snail population is gone - just like puffers?

BTW, any one knows anywhere that sells Yamatoes. want to get them ASAP too. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Rams and small shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Rams and small shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    anakin, its anyone's guess whether they attack yr shrimps,
    i believe it depends on individual character of the rams.

for yamato, u can try nature, petmart is closed on mondays,
    tiong bahru confirm dun have

Feedback Score
    Hi anakin,

my advice is not to put rams with any shrimps. I personally saw the rams attacking my shrimps when I put them together during transportation. I had to separate them after I brought them home cos there are already 4 casualties inside. Sadly, the rams didn't survive the ordeal in my tank due to excess CO2 and some shrimps joined them shortly after a power trip at home(no 02 supply for 2 hrs and water condition not very good).
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anakin,
    I had no problems mixing Rams with any fishes and shripms. They are genaerally quite peaceful except to thier own esp during breeding season. Of course there are some are abit fierce which is also quite normal behaviour for cichlids.

Dawn,
    It could be during transportation, they are a bit on the defence and thought the shrimps are a threat. Ramsa are pretty hardy and if they can survive your tank for the first 2~3 weeks, they would be able to live for quite sometime with proper water conditions.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Hi Anakin,

You could also try Keong Seong in Havelock road for Yamatoes. Not sure how much though. I think it's still best to get from Petmart price wise.

I have a couple of Rams, recently one of them have become real aggressive. Perhaps it's mating season or something. Anyway, the aggresive one occasionally chases my yamatoes and tetras during feeding time, competing for food. Otherwise, the Rams don't disturb the others just each other.

My snail population is in check though, so the Rams seem to be doing the job. I feel they are worth it, nice to look at also.

BTW, your cherry shrimps might get bullied by the yamatoes. You'll have to keep an eye on them. This might come about if the cherries and yamatoes are going for the same food and the yamatoes are bigger.

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    During the feeding time, my yamatos were more agressive than my Rams.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks all. Eugene, guess what? I called up Keong Seong just before I read the thread - and yes, they still have, so will go down to buy some tonight. Yamatoes bullying the cherries ah? could make things a bit complicated. would a big tank help? I have hardly anything in my 4 ft tank except for 20 bee/tiger shrimps, 11 cherries, Otos and SAEs. there ought to have enuf food to go around... maybe I just get 10 yamatoes first, and more of the other shrimps...

BTW, how big can cherries grow to? maybe can wait til they're bigger b4 intro Yamatoes?

As for the Rams, I think I'd put them on hold first. stick with tetras. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey anakin...
    remember i told you what happened to my rams and red cherrys?
    bought $50 of red cherrys from petmart=20 pieces...
    then put in 2 golden rams=$5 then rams eat ALL my shrimps and DIE soon after!
    heart ache!
    oh my yamatoes are huge and carrying eggs bought them from pet mart around july august i think... but they attack my malayans, which are bigger than red cherrys so i'm pretty sure they'll bully or even KILL your red cherrys...
    i think i'll add 50 tiger/bee shrimps from lebon and another 20-30 cherry reds into my 4 feet, but i'm gonna avoid yamatoes...
    how many ottos or saes u adding?

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 11/11/2002 2:10:26 PM

Thanks all. Eugene, guess what? I called up Keong Seong just before I read the thread - and yes, they still have, so will go down to buy some tonight. Yamatoes bullying the cherries ah? could make things a bit complicated. would a big tank help? I have hardly anything in my 4 ft tank except for 20 bee/tiger shrimps, 11 cherries, Otos and SAEs. there ought to have enuf food to go around... maybe I just get 10 yamatoes first, and more of the other shrimps...

BTW, how big can cherries grow to? maybe can wait til they're bigger b4 intro Yamatoes?

As for the Rams, I think I'd put them on hold first. stick with tetras. []
    ----------------
    The yamatoes bullying the cherries was something Chan told me about. He did say that if there are enough hiding places, the cherries should be ok, especially if there was plenty of food for all. I don't have any cherries myself, thought of getting some, but seeing that my yamatoes are pretty big and how all my malayan's got wiped out soon after the yamatoes showed up, I decided against it.[]

Oh, yamatoes are pretty hard working, mine do a pretty good job cleaning up the place

eggz