Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: moss at NA

Feedback Score

moss at NA

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone, 2 months back I bought some taiwan moss from Chan, until today, the moss has not grown. The progress is zero. Anybody knows anything about his moss? He said that the moss can grow at 29 -30degrees. It's been acclimatize.
    Any advise on how I can make the moss grow? Thanks.

Feedback Score

moss at NA

Hello everyone, 2 months back I bought some taiwan moss from Chan, until today, the moss has not grown. The progress is zero. Anybody knows anything about his moss? He said that the moss can grow at 29 -30degrees. It's been acclimatize.

Feedback Score

moss at NA

Feedback Score

moss at NA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Any dosing of liquid fertilizer? Enough CO2?
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Low temp is quite important. Not sure what is the lighting requirments.... mine turned brown initially but seem to bounce back now.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    I use v30, E15, A1 and Gold 7. Co2 is 3bps. I suspect its either temperature or lighting too strong. I guess what I need is patience. Will see what happens after another month, if still zero growth, will stop dreaming of planting moss for the time being.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Your best bet is temp. my tank is 29-31. It's struggled and eventually melted away. CO@ is impt and moderate light should be enough. If your temp is 27 or lower, I think you stand a better chance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Any fish like SAE? Mine like to feed on the moss. []
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh dear, mine is also Taiwanese Moss from Chan - but Lorba said his grew very well after he added in shrimps - the browning stopped and the whole thing flourishing. Now keeping my fingers crossed...

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Use two dc fan(80mm) and blown it directly on top of the tank near the water surface will do. That what i do.
    No need for fert.
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    James,, I have 6 DC fans blowing over my moss wall - temp ~27 - 28C when the lights are switched on. Just hoping the moss can show signs of growth a little bit more obviously. hee [:]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, i bought the moss from chan too abt 3mths ago. No growth initially for me. But few weeks ago, i decided to turn my co2 supply higher, surprisingly, most of the moss has now lengthened by 0.4-1.0 cm, or at least show signs of new growth. The temperature was also maintained at abt 26-27 for the last 2mths.

As for the shrimps, i think i tied the moss too thick initially, and they die off due to insufficient light? The Shrimps might have help to clear the dead plants. But i do notice some new shoots growing out among the brown patches.

I am not using those co2 tank, but the plate reactor/diffuser instead, so can't really tell the diff as compared to bubble rate.

Anakin: what do you mean by fans blowing on the moss wall? Your moss is grown out of the water? I thought the fans should be blowing at the water surface to help dissipate heat through evaporation?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 11/11/2002 3:12:14 PM

James,, I have 6 DC fans blowing over my moss wall - temp ~27 - 28C when the lights are switched on. Just hoping the moss can show signs of growth a little bit more obviously. hee [:]
    ----------------
    Anakin, how big is your tank ? I have 4 fans for my 3ft and I can only get my temp down to between 29-30C, and my moss looks half dead. Am considering adding more fans if it can get my temp lower.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi scooby, mine is also 3ft and i am only using 1. Take a look at timebomb's homepage, i am using the kind of fan he is using. I position it at 45 degree over the water surface. temp of my tank is abt 26-27.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh you guys are saying that the moss from chan doesn't require a chiller? but my tank is not in an airconditioned room...
    i'm starting a 4 feet tank and will be having 4x36watts pl + 1x40 watts fl lights...
    how many fans do ya'll reccommend i get for the tank so i can grow the christmas moss?

btw christmas moss is the same as taiwan moss right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yupz, they r the same. I think christmas moss thrive in low temp. If you can keep it in cold env, it would be best. But to achieve 26-28, i guess u don't need a chiller. 3 fans for 4ft i think would be enough, huh? Just that you will have to top up water frequently.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What will happen to moss if lighting is too strong?(other factor ideal)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The Chritmas moss is not the same as the one called Taiwan Moss. Let me try and clear up the confusion. In the old days, only one fish shop in Singapore (Crowntol) had this beautiful moss and they called it Triangular moss. The Triangular moss later became known as Christmas moss. Recently, something like about a year ago, a new moss from Taiwan appeared in the fish shops. They look like Christmas but their fronds do not have the triangular shapes. This moss is known as Taiwan Moss and is also sometimes called Mini Moss. Someone also gave me a bit of moss he collected from a nature reserve in Singapore. He said he grows them together with the Christmas moss in his tanks and they look exactly the same.

A lot of confusion arises from the fact that when grown poorly, the Christmas moss looks like Taiwan Moss, or Willow Moss for that matter. Some people even say the Christmas Moss looks exactly the same as Java. In such cases, it's usually because they have adult SAEs in their tanks. Adult SAEs will eat the Christmas moss and prune them in such a way that only the branches are left uneaten, thereby giving the wrong impression that Christmas is Java. Cherry Barbs are also known to eat moss too.

If you are using cooling fans, you have to let them run non-stop before you can bring the temp in your tanks down to 28 degrees C. If you are not getting that temperature, it would probably be because your fans are too small. I once used 4 three-inch square cooling fans and they didn't even lower the temp in my tank by half a degree. Now I use 3 four-inch square fans and the temp hovers around 27 to 28 degrees most of the time. The lowest temp ever recorded in my tank was 24.7 C on one very cold December morning.

To grow the christmas moss well, try and add a bit more iron into your tanks. It does not matter if you are using high or low lighting. Even CO2 injection is not that important. Soft water and low temperatures are the 2 things that helps the moss grow well.

Take a look at my homepage at:

http://www.geocities.com/aironfire

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/11/2002 5:08:05 PM

The Chritmas moss is not the same as the one called Taiwan Moss. Let me try and clear up the confusion. In the old days, only one fish shop in Singapore (Crowntol) had this beautiful moss and they called it Triangular moss. The Triangular moss later became known as Christmas moss. Recently, something like about a year ago, a new moss from Taiwan appeared in the fish shops. They look like Christmas but their fronds do not have the triangular shapes. This moss is known as Taiwan Moss and is also sometimes called Mini Moss. Someone also gave me a bit of moss he collected from a nature reserve in Singapore. He said he grows them together with the Christmas moss in his tanks and they look exactly the same.

A lot of confusion arises from the fact that when grown poorly, the Christmas moss looks like Taiwan Moss, or Willow Moss for that matter. Some people even say the Christmas Moss looks exactly the same as Java. In such cases, it's usually because they have adult SAEs in their tanks. Adult SAEs will eat the Christmas moss and prune them in such a way that only the branches are left uneaten, thereby giving the wrong impression that Christmas is Java. Cherry Barbs are also known to eat moss too.

If you are using cooling fans, you have to let them run non-stop before you can bring the temp in your tanks down to 28 degrees C. If you are not getting that temperature, it would probably be because your fans are too small. I once used 4 three-inch square cooling fans and they didn't even lower the temp in my tank by half a degree. Now I use 3 four-inch square fans and the temp hovers around 27 to 28 degrees most of the time. The lowest temp ever recorded in my tank was 24.7 C on one very cold December morning.

To grow the christmas moss well, try and add a bit more iron into your tanks. It does not matter if you are using high or low lighting. Even CO2 injection is not that important. Soft water and low temperatures are the 2 things that helps the moss grow well.

Take a look at my homepage at:

http://www.geocities.com/aironfire

Loh K L

----------------
    wow!!!
    thanks for your reply man!
    will jbl ferropol do? or will i have to use the more expensive ferts like dennerle? this is for the iron i mean...
    btw where did U get your fans from?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast