Country
    Singapore

Clown Loaches with ICH!!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi to all here,

My 8 clown loaches have contracted ich, and I know that most of the conventional ich medication are not suitable for the loaches, as well as salt treatments. Anyone can give me a solution to this problem? The tank has also 5 angels and 9 cherry barbs, how should I treat the tank to prevent the ich from breaking out again.

Note: The loaches have already been seperated from the main tank.

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Conventional treatment for loaches is to increase temperature. Add salt, but not too much, as loaches do poorly with salt in the water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have used protozin on my tetra with positive results on a 6-days course as prescribe on the bottle. I have a clown loach in the tank as well. All's well after the medication. Maybe you can give this medicine a shot. Good luck and hope all's well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok, 3 of the the most heavily infected loaches have passed away. I have only 4 more left, will try the protozin medication on them

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro,

Clown loaches are tend to be the most vulnerable and prone to ich attack.

Try to add a heater and increase the temperature to 30 -32 deg C. I had experienced the same problem with my 3ft rocked tank for Mbuna cichilds, clown loaches and upside catfishes. All of them were heavily infected with ich out break.

I had quarantined or isloated all of them in another tank for methylene blue treatment with only air aeration and a heater( warm the tank to 30-32 deg C) for at least 3days. And for the rock tank, i had to sterilized the entire rock tank, filter canister( all entire medias replaced) and all pieces of equipments used for this tank with at least 25litres boiled hot water to prevent another ich outbreak.

And all my fishes didnt die on me after difficult incident.
    So i understand that your worry, but at least you will able to detect the very first signs of trouble and deal with any problem before it turns into a catastrophe.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I used Oxycure the last time round. Works! Afterwhich I did a 50% water change a week after all the symptoms disappear.
    Next project: Converting my 3ft freshwater fish planted tank into a shrimp tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for everyone help, but my loaches have all passed away. Now my tank seems pretty ok, and I do not see other fishes with signs of Ich, but is there any medication that I can put to prevent an outbreak?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thats a question i want to know too. Currenly having an outbreak in my 2ft. But i was thinking, is there really a need to sterilized the whole tank plus equipments....thats alot of work man.
    Zack

Planted tank: Melanotaenia Lacustris, Melanotaenia Parkinsoni, Melanotaenia Praecox,
    Glossolepis Incisus, Melanotaenia Maccullochi, Melanotaenia Boesemani, Iriatherina Werneri, Barilius Canarensis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi bros,

So this vast majority of fishing keeping problems are causes by something we aquarists have done or not done! rather than by an outside organism or pathogen. When this pathogenic diseases do occur, they can be real nusiance because they can remain dormant in a tank for long time until a change in the environment that suddenly creates an ideal conditions for them to flourish and that suddenly we guys faced with ich outbreak! Ich are a highly infectious parasites will increase number of spots very rapidly over 48 hrs period.If this ich is allowed to spread to the gill area,the condition can be fatal.

That parasites will delevop maturity after 48 hrs period and will affect plants or even good bateria in your filters, and also possible for this parasite to be transferred on nets, hoses and all your pieces of equipments, so it better to isolate the affected fishes in a hospital tank for medication treatment. So that why i choose to sterilize the whole tank.

I know just to administer a number of treaments may takes several days to destroy that parasites during its free swimming stage if the whole tank is not sterilize.Another method, turn the heater to maximum to raise tank water temperature to 30 -32 deg C. The ich parasite will be weakened at high temperature and will not able to carry out its life cycle.

Just to prevent this outbreak , install an UV sterilizer, is an effective unit to kill all free swimming pathogens diseases, parasites and alage blooms .

Hope this will help you.
    Last edited by eddy planer; 16th Mar 2008 at 02:13.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    hi bros,

So this vast majority of fishing keeping problems are causes by something we aquarists have done or not done! rather than by an outside organism or pathogen. When this pathogenic diseases do occur, they can be real nusiance because they can remain dormant in a tank for long time until a change in the environment that suddenly creates an ideal conditions for them to flourish and that suddenly we guys faced with ich outbreak! Ich are a highly infectious parasites will increase number of spots very rapidly over 48 hrs period.If this ich is allowed to spread to the gill area,the condition can be fatal.

That parasites will delevop maturity after 48 hrs period and will affect plants or even good bateria in your filters, and also possible for this parasite to be transferred on nets, hoses and all your pieces of equipments, so it better to isolate the affected fishes in a hospital tank for medication treatment. So that why i choose to sterilize the whole tank.

I know just to administer a number of treaments may takes several days to destroy that parasites during its free swimming stage if the whole tank is not sterilize.Another method, turn the heater to maximum to raise tank water temperature to 30 -32 deg C. The ich parasite will be weakened at high temperature and will not able to carry out its life cycle.

Just to prevent this outbreak , install an UV sterilizer, is an effective unit to kill all free swimming pathogens diseases, parasites and alage blooms .

Hope this will help you.
    That could be useful. However, this method can't be applied to a heavily planted tank thats for sure. Can't be to tear down the whole nicely scaped tank and perform a sterilization job right? So that method is out of the question. Same goes to the heater method which will kill all the nice plants you have.
    Zack

Planted tank: Melanotaenia Lacustris, Melanotaenia Parkinsoni, Melanotaenia Praecox,
    Glossolepis Incisus, Melanotaenia Maccullochi, Melanotaenia Boesemani, Iriatherina Werneri, Barilius Canarensis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, the UV light sterilizer is the best choice for planted tank to prevent future ich outbreak and other pathogenic diseases.

I do not encourage to use heater to warm up the tank's temperature nor sterilize the whole tank (planted aquarium) but this method is only apply to rocky tank ( Lake Malawi tank) or goldfish tank where vegatation is almost nil except for artifical plants.
    cheers
    eddy planer