Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fingerfish Nightmare!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just to share with fellow bros and sis. If you keep smaller fishes such as tetras and barbs, NEVER place fingerfish in the tank no matter how small they are. Seen how fierce they attacked my poor glowlights.
    Next project: Converting my 3ft freshwater fish planted tank into a shrimp tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm, i don't see anything..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What is a fingerfish??
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If not wrong, fingerfish is referring to Monodactylus argenteus, or other Monodactylus spp..

I am not sure why they are housed with tetras and barbs, but do take note that their requirements are vastly different from those for tetras and barbs.

Firstly, they are found in costal areas, so would require brackish water environments. Adults, especially, require those that are close to saltwater environment. Although they may be adaptable to freshwater tanks, these fish are more disease-prone when kept in freshwater tanks, so maintaining them under such conditions is not recommended.

Also, they prefer alkaline pH environment as opposed to general low pH for tetras and barbs. High levels of carbonate hardness are essential.

Here is an excellent resource on brackish water setup by Dr. Neale Monks, including the list of fauna for such environment.
    http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/aquar...hfaqindex.html