Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

New 1 ft tank for shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have just set up another 1 ft planted tank just for shrimps.

I have used the following:
    - 1 ft cube tank
    - ADA Amazonia soil
    - Undergravel filter system
    - 13W PL light
    - fan

Plants only seaweed at the moment. Intend to put in taiwan moss. Mini nanas.

Can any one advice,
    - using ADA Amazonia Soil, can use Undergravel filter?
    - this type of set up able to keep CrS?
    - hong long do I have to cycle before I can add the CRs if I do not have test kits? (I have added bacteria hoping to fasten cycle time)

Thanks for advices.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Since you are using ADA soil it is not recommend to use under gravel filter. As it might stop or interrupt the progress of the plant which it intend to grow.

For your set-up so far it's fine but since you are rearing CRS. The fan will not enough to cool down the water temperature to the desire temperature.

Well as for me how long do I need to cycle the tank, normally I would cycle for 1 week & as usual dose some bacteria, seachem prime etc etc...Than to play safe I might add some yamato to test the water parameter to check whether the water is safe for the shrimps. If the yamato survive than I would add the CRS in without burning my wallet a hole..

Hope my advice helps...
    New 2ft Project Coming Up
    Aquascaping since 2006-Present

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Any idea roughly how long we need to cycle the tank (in my case with Amazonia ADA soil) as I heard the substrate I am using has ammonia and a lot of other minerlals?

Thanks for advice.
    Last edited by kck; 17th Mar 2008 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    As what I have said, 1 week to 2 weeks will be fine. If possible do a 50% change of water on the 2nd week to prevent harmful ammonia or other minerals

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for you advice.

I have in the meantime read a lot of previous posts. Varying opinions on how fast can we cycle. Pretty amazed by how people can add fish in 2-3days.

Anyway, will be more patient this time round, currently changing water every nite about 30%, added some plants, used an old filter from friends tank. Will see how long I can wait before I gets too tempted and start to buy the shrimps!
    Last edited by Quixotic; 26th Mar 2008 at 00:20. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Kck,

Have to be patience, when come to cycling. The standard time for nitrogen activity usually take 4-6 weeks, although you can hasten this with BB introduction when you start the cycle.

Seems there is a thread of people trying to keeping CRS in tanks less than 1 FT? CRS requires low temp around 24-25, and there isn't any chiller in the market with correct flowrate designed for 1FT tanks without creating turbulence.

Larger volume of water=stabilty.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup patience is the key to success for your aquarium

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all your advices.

I was also at Biotope today, very friendly people and need layout. Thanks also to Thio and Raymond for their friendly advises.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kck View Post
    I was also at Biotope today, very friendly people and need layout. Thanks also to Thio and Raymond for their friendly advises.
    Thanks for your support too..
    Last edited by Quixotic; 26th Mar 2008 at 00:20. Reason: Formatting

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Finally I cannot tahan the wait, patience caught up.....I started adding crs last Wednesday, added more on Thursday then on Saturday.

I have used the following:
    - 1 ft cube tank
    - ADA Amazonia soil
    - HOB filter (removed Undergravel filter system on advices)
    - 13W PL light
    - fan

Plants
    - seaweed
    - taiwan moss
    - mini nanas
    - moss ball
    - 3 other plants I don't know the name.

Cycling 5days, adding bacteria, 20-30% water change daily for 1 week. Added an ADA bacter ball. This week water change 10%. Just purchase and started SeaChem today.

Do I need to do a 50% water change still in week 2?

CRS still looking active and fine till today. Do I need to do anything else?

Would like to upload some images, how can I do it without going through URL?

Thanks in advance for advices.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, a 50% water change on a 1ft tank is too much already. It is best to do water change 10% weekly because if a 50% water change in a 1ft tank will be disaster for the CRS.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Boo hoo hoo....so "pang tang" ......just say ok last night, this morning picked up one carcass.

So sad.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i think cycling 5 days is just not enough..mine is 3 weeks with bacteria.. still in the middle stage of cycling where Amonia = 0 and nitrite increasing

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Usually I would advise newbies to crs to start with a minimum 2ft tank, the parameters would be easier to control. As for cooling down of the tank, for a 1ft, a fan should do. A chiller would be an overkill but there's also the option to use a TEM 'chiller' (think the brand is dolphin).

For a 1ft, you would need to have frequent wc. You would then need to ensure that your water is aged properly and that it has almost the same properties as the water in the tank as crs are highly sensitive to changes and would collapse at a moment's notice.

You may already know that crs are a hybrid of Bee shrimp, it is actually a cheaper option to test the water using them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kck View Post
    Boo hoo hoo....so "pang tang" ......just say ok last night, this morning picked up one carcass.

So sad.
    Kck,
    Agree with agriculture, you posted here to get help from some of us, but you chose to go ahead and decide to get shrimps on your own eventhough you understood and knew your tank is not ready.

Not much we can say really. Like peter say some weeks back, we try and talk some sense but no one listens.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Torque,AC,AS,CC want to share start another LFS. With so many similar threads and same outcome, CRS is a possible GOLD MINE.
    Ask PIXLAR to do a similar movie about CRS like nemo and insects... we made a fortune.

Guys,..... Any deep pockets out there,
    Magic words "patience" , "constant" (or small changes) ...

- 1 ft cube tank @ ?? as AC says, bigger is more stable.

- ADA Amazonia soil @ Should be good start, read that it keeps PH low and stable- soft water also good for CRS. Wondering, if it is just peat and soil in a expensive fancy bag? But then water change becomes tricky, Sg's water not like Amazon basin.. Unless replace similar water, plsss do small frequent changes. PH shock will kill them fast. Or you see them trying to crawl out of you tank. Fish would be a little jumppy. Try running 2 km under hot sun then chill out in cold room 10 degree. You could get peumonia but wont die staight right. Your shrimp probably stop eating next couple of days......

- HOB filter @ HOB have mechanical motor which generate heat. Not to good for small and chillerless(?) tank. CRS need cool water? Better to have air driven sponge filter. 2 or 3 is best, can rotate for cleaning.

(removed Undergravel filter system on advices) @ --" tricky". You just leave it in the tank, fine. If you really remove it out, , then all the bacterial(long kang water) go back into long kang(drain). You should start from square one??? Another 1 or 2 months?

- 13W PL light @ low light plant and low wattage(low heat), should be ok.

- fan @ better than nothing. Hot day, maybe can add 1 ice

Relax bro, thought you say patience..
    Shrimp, especially CRS, not like most fish. Fish are more tolerant on new tank. Shrimps are light feeder and their tank easy to maintain, but not at all tolerant of spikes and changes, especially new tank. And after shrimp is in, do not add in any other fert, bacterial starter...
    Now just wait and see, and do not add anymore shrimp. If they survive, great , sit back and enjoy for the next 2 or 3 months. By then, you would have save enough to go for the fancy expensive ones

If not, after a few weeks, go for a pair of RAM or even apisto. You will definitely enjoy them as they just loves the low PH that your ADA provides. My 8 rams and 3 apisto (all nearly 1 inch) in a peat base tank constantly challenges my 2inch plus discus for just tetra bits. First few days hide and hide, now all waiting outside for food. And they will also help you cycle the tank ready for your CRS.
    6 months time, they will help your tank cycle real good. And you could maybe trade them(even could have given you some babies) for some CRS.

My 2 cents too many
    Sorry for being kay po and long winded, but like to see many successfull hobbist around.
    Cheers
    DT

GOD do not made you a GOOD man, it is what GOOD you did that made GOD looks GOOD.
    Hey, GOD and GOOD is just an "O" apart.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lesson learnt! Speechless, just wait and see if they can survive.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 26th Mar 2008 at 00:22. Reason: Remove immediate quote