Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: SAE ok for tank planted with Glosso?

Feedback Score

SAE ok for tank planted with Glosso?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Read much about SAE in this forum...Wonder if it's alright to put them into my tank planted with glosso.Afraid that this fish might get too robust when big.By the way,mine is a 4ft tank.Right now I having beard algae on my substrate.The 20 plus Yamatos don't seem to be able to eradicate the algae.Can the SAE do a better job?Also read somewhere in the forum about Rosy barb eating BBA like spagetti.Did anyone try out yet?Will keep the forum posted if I get any Rosy barb into my tank...and if it works!

Feedback Score

Read much about SAE in this forum...Wonder if it's alright to put them into my tank planted with glosso.Afraid that this fish might get too robust when big.By the way,mine is a 4ft tank.Right now I having beard algae on my substrate.The 20 plus Yamatos don't seem to be able to eradicate the algae.Can the SAE do a better job?Also read somewhere in the forum about Rosy barb eating BBA like spagetti.Did anyone try out yet?Will keep the forum posted if I get any Rosy barb into my tank...and if it works!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ACE, from my own exp, Otos are more hardworking and amiable towards your glosso - SAEs have a habit of 'whipping' themselves away from the glosso when they are done cleaning with a leaf - so some may get dislodge - it's ok as long as you are willing to re-plant them or put in the SAEs after the glosso has estb themselves firmly in the substrate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But, Otos won't help you with the BBA.

Anyway, don't depend on algae eaters to rid you tanks of BBA if you do not do anything to make the tank conditions disadvantageous to BBA. Unless you put in a battalion of SAEs or Yamatos, the BBA will grow faster then they can eat them.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do not both trying out the rosy barbs! I was a fool to try it out only to realize later I have a glutton in my tank. This fish eats a lot and fast too! It even started to eat or perhaps pecked on my shrimps until my shrimp population declined!

As for SAEs, keep them only if you are not keeping moss inside your tank. Otherwise, they will munch away all your new growth tips leaving your moss "bald". In my opinion, it is unnecessary to put in SAEs or algae eating fishes. There will always be algae around and the only way to control it is through your water parameters. It is good to have lot of shrimps to finish up uneaten food to maintain good water conditions.

So, save your $$$ and spend them on shrimps or plants instead!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz
    But, Otos won't help you with the BBA.

Anyway, don't depend on algae eaters to rid you tanks of BBA if you do not do anything to make the tank conditions disadvantageous to BBA. Unless you put in a battalion of SAEs or Yamatos, the BBA will grow faster then they can eat them.
    How about Apple snail? I notice that they're good and eat a lot the algea on the glass. It will help a lot..can try!
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Frankly, in my opinion, the SAE is over-hyped. It's definately okay for you to put in the SAE ACE.

There are much better ways to deal with BBA than adding yet another fish into your tank. Do a search at the fertilisation forum, there are probably a few hundred threads on BBA there.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my suggestion is put different algae eaters, namely yamato, pencilfish, sae, otos. If its BBA you trying to combat against then SAE or in the matter, those I mentioned above would not be of any help. Benny mentioned that cigar fish do eat BBA. But like some of the guys mentioned in their earlier replies. Best to solve with fertilisation

Star-flog, apple snail leaves behind whitish reside (poo) and snails are quite prone to crawling out of the tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    my suggestion is put different algae eaters, namely yamato, pencilfish, sae, otos. If its BBA you trying to combat against then SAE or in the matter, those I mentioned above would not be of any help. Benny mentioned that cigar fish do eat BBA. But like some of the guys mentioned in their earlier replies. Best to solve with fertilisation

Star-flog, apple snail leaves behind whitish reside (poo) and snails are quite prone to crawling out of the tanks
    Well, the apple snail reside could well be good for the plants (to promoto plant grows) ? I asked the LFS, apple snail will not crawling out of the tank but others such as zebra snail certainly will.
    The More You Share, The More You Have