Country
    United_States

Nematoda / Worms

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,
    About a week ago I bought 4 Red Tiger Oscars. 3 Days after I bought them one started acting real withdrawn from the group and made his way down to the corner of the tank. He is breathing very heavy and is has been gasping for almost 3 days solid now. About 2 Days ago I noticed a white string coming from the anus. Did some research and while I do realize it is an intesinal worm of some sort I am not sure which exactly.

I quarentined him in his own tank and dosed it with Jungle Internal Parasite Guard. I used it because as I understand it, metronidazole is supposed to be effective on internal parasites and Jungle was the only thing I could find with it in it at the local pet shop.

Well now today after we got home from the pet store one of my other oscars is acting the same way the other started acting when it got sick. There is no white string yet but I have a feeling within a few days I will see one.

I need some help.

1) Is it hazerdous to my health to have my hands in the tanks ? Like am I gonna end up with some lil buddies in my body becasue Im coming in contact with the water and gravel etc..

2) How can I treat the sick one aside form the Jungle Parasite Guard?
    I have had a few people suggest Iron, to my undertanding Iron is usually only good for external worms and pests..

3) What about the big tank ? I understand these things potentially can lay eggs and they infest the tanl etc depending on what kind of worms they are .. What do I do ..

4) What do I do with the 2nd Oscar starting to act sick? Should I quarentine him with the other ?

I am truely upset these are honestly the best fish I have every owned personality wise. In the short week I have had them they have become my little buddies. They are the only ones happy to see me after work =D lol and I like seeing them as well.

Can anyone please help....
    I have been trying to get good pictures but none have come out to well..

Best I can describe is it started with a about a 1/2 inch whie thing coming out. So I moved him in the 5.5 gallon sick tank and doesed it. Next morning there was a longer one and it seemd to get longer through the day. Its about 2 inches hanging out of the anus. He is breahing real heavy and seems to want to eat but cant. He does swim to the front of the tank occasionally when I go to check on him as I try and spend a lot of time near the tank I dont want him to feel alone in his final hours if in fact he is going to die. I know that sounds dumb but I really feel like the lil guy knows Im there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Paul,

You have to prepare for the worst.... the symptom you describe sounds like your beloved Oscars been affected by gill parasites or gill flukes. This infestation is often fatal.

Try to use Sterazin treatment from your IFS but the situation has been too long, your Oscars been affected for long time and I'm afraid and sorry that your Oscars may leave not live long.

To prevent this outbreak, invest in UV light sterilizer to eliminate all pathogenic diseases like white spots(ich),fungus,velvet and so on...to protect your valuable fishes.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this