Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by ADA SG View Post
    Hi Lee,
    as with all cotton threads, they will disintegrate after a period of time in the water. Based on our own experiences, normal white cotton threads will also disintegrate after a week or so.

In addition, the moss cotton assumes that the moss used clings to wood or stone, which generally are the Christmas moss, Taiwan moss or "Willow" moss which are used in ADA scapes. I am not very sure if Spiky moss falls into the same genus as those mentioned.

Our experiences with Christmas and Taiwan mosses showed that by the time the thread disintegrates, the moss have attached themselves to the wood.
    yeah i bought it purely for the disintegration ability of the ada moss cotton
    just didnt expect the thread to disintegrate before my plants fully caught hold of the wood/rock
    previously i used a china-brand black cotton thread and it lasted pretty long...around a couple of months before it disintegrated

i used to have spiky moss on wood in one of my old setups and it definitely sticks... 'cause i had difficulty peeling the moss off the wood when i tore the setup down
    and i have xmas moss on ada moss balls as well, and the moss came loose when the moss cotton disintegrated and the xmas moss had yet to grab onto the moss balls

well, im not saying the ada moss cotton is not a good product hehe
    just sharing my mileage with it

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Fei Miao View Post
    I'm impressed with the rock placements, any frontal shots?
    Thanks! Here's a FTS for your enjoyment

An angle shot.

Flora listing (bottom up):
    Hemianthus micranthemoides
    Glossostigma elatinoides
    Eleocharis acicularis
    Anubias nana
    Blyxa japonica (hidden behind rocks)
    Eleocharis vivipara

Anyone find the Eleocharis vivipara background messy?

The temperature shot up to 27.5慢 this morning

Quickly installed a fan to tackle the situation... by end day the water temperature is at a comfortable 24慢

But that's only achievable under air-con environment... it will be a problem during the weekends as the office is usually very warm and stuffy.
    Last edited by Fei Miao; 25th Apr 2008 at 14:06. Reason: merge posts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ADA SG View Post
    Hi Lee,
    as with all cotton threads, they will disintegrate after a period of time in the water. Based on our own experiences, normal white cotton threads will also disintegrate after a week or so.

In addition, the moss cotton assumes that the moss used clings to wood or stone, which generally are the Christmas moss, Taiwan moss or "Willow" moss which are used in ADA scapes. I am not very sure if Spiky moss falls into the same genus as those mentioned.

Our experiences with Christmas and Taiwan mosses showed that by the time the thread disintegrates, the moss have attached themselves to the wood.

To Jervis,
    great looking scape. Looking forward to the see the foreground being covered.

Due to the low plant mass currently, we will suggest an initial lighting period of only 3-4 hours, and incrementally adjusted by 1 hour till the required 8-10 hours.

In additional, a water change on the 3rd day is suggested as well to remove excess nutrients in the water.

Hope to see your tanks ready for the coming ADA competition!

===OMG, thio became ADA merchant complete with ADA logo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Jervis,

Wa, your small fan can bring down temperature so quickly meh ??!! Must be a very hardworking fan

At a closer look at your rock scape, I do notice a resemblance of a pot bellied guy louching comfortably, legs stretched out, arms apart and enjoying the horizons... cool man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Wa, your small fan can bring down temperature so quickly meh ??!! Must be a very hardworking fan

At a closer look at your rock scape, I do notice a resemblance of a pot bellied guy louching comfortably, legs stretched out, arms apart and enjoying the horizons... cool man.
    It's partly due to the air-conditioning... and you do have a set of very creative eyes... I am beginning to see it

Time to feature some equipments...

Eheim Pro2 2026 (the heart of the system) and CO2 system, shared with my 1ft cube.

Added a chiller today... set at 25慢 for a start

I am glad that the Eheim Pro2 2026 produce enough flow to run through the chiller

My tank going high-tech today... with Aquatronica pH probe and Water Level Sensor (able to automatically top up fresh water).

But they are such eyesore in a braceless tank
    Last edited by Fei Miao; 25th Apr 2008 at 14:06. Reason: merge posts

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Jervis, where do you get the seachem alert series from? Is that a sticker or something?
    New 2ft Project Coming Up
    Aquascaping since 2006-Present

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquascaping1982 View Post
    Hi Jervis, where do you get the seachem alert series from? Is that a sticker or something?
    Bought it from NA, it comes with a suction cap.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    My tank going high-tech today... with Aquatronica pH probe and Water Level Sensor (able to automatically top up fresh water).

But they are such eyesore in a braceless tank

Goosh... this is really high tech with water level sensor, do you connect this to a water tank? Been reading up your post daily on your 30cm and this 60cm cube. I must say it has been impressive. And you left your tanks in your office - are you the boss?

Keep it up!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by spgan View Post
    do you connect this to a water tank?
    Yeah will connect to a tub filled with water... will fix it up tomorrow

The Hemianthus micranthemoides are looking quite healthy

Thanks to a bro here... I am "misting" the tank with CO2

Last edited by Fei Miao; 25th Apr 2008 at 14:07. Reason: merge posts

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow... first time see a water level sensor.. eye opener!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi jevis,

It is good to have high tech like water sensor but there is the pro and con regarding to this.

The con is after topping up tap water automatically, can this guarantee the life of your fishes without any anti chlorine solution been add while you away?

I experienced all my 100 prized cardinals dead using the same method 2 years ago so i decided to tear it down to prevent this nasty catastrophe.

Unless you install "Diamond" filter system to eliminate chlorine for your prized ADA cube tank
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Hi jevis,

It is good to have high tech like water sensor but there is the pro and con regarding to this.

The con is after topping up tap water automatically, can this guarantee the life of your fishes without any anti chlorine solution been add while you away?

I experienced all my 100 prized cardinals dead using the same method 2 years ago so i decided to tear it down to prevent this nasty catastrophe.

Unless you install "Diamond" filter system to eliminate chlorine for your prized ADA cube tank
    My 3-stage DI filter will be able to remove chlorine... you use tap water without anti-chlorine solution? You don't need "Diamond" filter (a popular brand in Malaysia) to remove chlorine... mostly all water filters suitable for fishkeeping can do the task quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
    wow... first time see a water level sensor.. eye opener!
    Actually this Aquatronica "float switch" type of sensor is considered old fashion... Tunze uses infrared for their Osmolator set.
    Last edited by Fei Miao; 25th Apr 2008 at 14:08. Reason: merge posts

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    jevis,

Hmmm that good idea!

So you have everything planned, well done!

Tell me in pm how much do you purchase and the supplier for this amazing 3 stages DI filter? I'm seriously considering to lay my hands on it!.

thanks a million!
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bro you really are the envy of the hobbyist in this forum...i can kill easily my lunch time just following your thread. Bravo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tell me in pm how much do you purchase and the supplier for this amazing 3 stages DI filter? I'm seriously considering to lay my hands on it!.!
    I am using Crystal Pro. You can get the 1-Stage too.

For more information, click below:
    Protecting Your Aquarium from Toxins

But the DI filter will remove almost all elements... you may need to readjust your dosing/fertilizer regimen... and the KH and pH might be affected too. Proceed with caution

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    jevis,

The 1 or 3 stages DI filter , you connected from water supply(tap) direct to DI filter to tank?
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    jevis,

The 1 or 3 stages DI filter , you connected from water supply(tap) direct to DI filter to tank?
    Yupe... you might need adaptor though Go to any marine LFS... see the actual unit to figure out how to do the connection part.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    After 3 days of planting... say hello to Mr. Algae

So went out to do some shopping during lunch

Time to feature some equipments...

Eheim Pro2 2026 (the heart of the system) and CO2 system, shared with my 1ft cube.

Added a chiller today... set at 25慢 for a start

I am glad that the Eheim Pro2 2026 produce enough flow to run through the chiller
    more expensive toys....which model is the artica bro can share? whats the on and standby timing of the chiller with your current setup?

Quote Originally Posted by zoombee View Post
    more expensive toys....which model is the artica bro can share? whats the on and standby timing of the chiller with your current setup?
    It's a Arctica Nano 1/15hp. The only setback of this nano range is the 0.5慢 range. Other chillers are usually 1慢. I set the chiller at 25慢, meaning once the water reaches 25.5慢 it will kick-in and bring down to 25慢. The rate of kicking in is quite high but it takes about 10 min to chill 0.5慢 (room temperature at around 24慢 to 26慢).

One amazing thing about this baby is... I can't hear a thing! Gotto look at the LED light to check if it is running
    Last edited by Fei Miao; 25th Apr 2008 at 14:08. Reason: merge posts

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's a Arctica Nano 1/15hp. The only setback of this nano range is the 0.5慢 range. Other chillers are usually 1慢. I set the chiller at 25慢, meaning once the water reaches 25.5慢 it will kick-in and bring down to 25慢. The rate of kicking in is quite high but it takes about 10 min to chill 0.5慢 (room temperature at around 24慢 to 26慢).

One amazing thing about this baby is... I can't hear a thing! Gotto look at the LED light to check if it is running
    thanks..how long does it go into standby?

i am like contemplating to change to a better chiller after the thermostat in my resun broke down...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombee View Post
    thanks..how long does it go into standby?

i am like contemplating to change to a better chiller after the thermostat in my resun broke down...
    I do not really keep count of the timing... probably 1 hr or so (again depending on room temperature and equipment load)

Introducing my tank's first resident... got 2 Oto to help control the situation

Last edited by Fei Miao; 25th Apr 2008 at 14:09. Reason: merge posts

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast