Country
    Singapore

Plastic tubes and hoses

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

Any idea where I can find loose pieces of L-shape tubes and rubber hoses for aquarium use ? I'm trying to connect the outlet of my powerhead to a CO2 reactor. I saw some at Clementi in the past. Anywhere else ? Thks.

Cheers,
    Peter

----------------
    On 1/14/2002 11:20:03 AM

Hi folks,

Any idea where I can find loose pieces of L-shape tubes and rubber hoses for aquarium use ? I'm trying to connect the outlet of my powerhead to a CO2 reactor. I saw some at Clementi in the past. Anywhere else ? Thks.

Cheers,
    Peter
    ----------------
    Peter,
    Simply run the CO2 line into the main water INLET of your powerhead. Do not use airstones, or diffusors, just run the open ended tube into the water INLET of your powerhead. You'll be impressed with how tiny the CO2 bubbles are.

I've tried putting the CO2 into your powerheads outlet, and found that it was not as efficient as the above described method.

Here's a pic of my powerhead diffusor.

As you can see, no L-tubes, or fancyness required. I simply used small piece of UG filter stack and fed the line in so I can see the CO2 bubbles entering the powerhead. If you have good eyesight, you could simply run the tube directly into the base of the powerhead. But the bubbles being output can be pretty hard to see, you need keen eyes! I'll probably make this modification to my setup.

I Hope this helps...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I can't really implement your method because I'm using an overhead filter. Most of the water will flow up into a box filter and flow out the other end. If I put CO2 into the water inlet, a lot of CO2 will escape into the air.

Also, I heard that by introducing CO2 into the impellor will shorten the lifespan. There is a name to this condition ... forgot what it is.

Hope you understand now why I need to work on the outlet. Since the output is a mixture of water and CO2, I think all I need to do is to slowdown the output a little for eg. using ceramic rings in a PVC tube that connected to the outlet via a "L" shape connector. This setup is very similar in concept with the UP 402 CO2 reactor except that it is thinner and less obvious. But first of all, I must be able to find the fight PVC tubes !!!

----------------
    On 1/14/2002 5:26:22 PM

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I can't really implement your method because I'm using an overhead filter. Most of the water will flow up into a box filter and flow out the other end. If I put CO2 into the water inlet, a lot of CO2 will escape into the air.

Also, I heard that by introducing CO2 into the impellor will shorten the lifespan. There is a name to this condition ... forgot what it is.

Hope you understand now why I need to work on the outlet. Since the output is a mixture of water and CO2, I think all I need to do is to slowdown the output a little for eg. using ceramic rings in a PVC tube that connected to the outlet via a "L" shape connector. This setup is very similar in concept with the UP 402 CO2 reactor except that it is thinner and less obvious. But first of all, I must be able to find the fight PVC tubes !!!
    ----------------
    Yes, you are quite correct about it lowering the lifespan of the powerhead's impelleor. Especially an impeller that's under a load (ie pulling water thru a water filter). I am not a fan of putting CO2 into the input of your tank's main filtation process, especially if you don't have spare parts.

That's why I am using a simple powerhead (no filter, no load), just for the purpose of CO2 injection. This CO2 injector powerhead is not linked or required for my tank's main filtration process's, they are seperate! If this powerhead dies, I simply go grabb another powerhead, or simply keep a spare impeller on hand.

So far, however, I have not seen any signs of wear and tear on my powerhead's impeller. I attribute this to it's low load.

From your first post, I made the assumption that you were installing a powerhead specifically for the purpose of CO2 injection.

Anyways, if you fail to find the correct PVC, then you could try the setup I have, assuming you can get another powerhead, and don't mind another powerhead in your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey hey rtthomas

good to see you here.....welcome to the forum....can't wait to discuss the diy co2 thing that we left off....
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi rthomas

If i am not wrong, the dennerle internal filter works on the same principle as what you have done. Just that they ahave a seperate chamber for the CO2 and the current to mix just before leaving the filter.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks Thomas. A small and separate powerhead sounds like a good plan. I can even timed it together to turn on with my lights. Let me look see around for the pvc first. I was using an inverted container to trap co2 but find that it takes up too much space in my 2 ft tank. Space is a premium in my tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry Thomas ... what is UG filter stack ? Thks.

----------------
    On 1/15/2002 1:06:44 PM

Sorry Thomas ... what is UG filter stack ? Thks.
    ----------------
    UG filter stack means Under Gravel Filter Stack. If you look at a tank outfitted with an Undergravel filter, you'll usually see Two clear plastic tubes that rise to almost the top of the tank. They are usually located at the back corners. These are the UG filter stacks.

Using a small piece of UG filter stack is not a requirement. You could just poke the hose past the fish guard on your powerhead. That would also work quite well.

Regards,
    ---- Robb ----