Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Lighting ? watts/gallon

Feedback Score

Lighting ? watts/gallon

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, recently I set up a 6ft planted tank and I'm not sure on how many watts per gallon I need.

Tank info:
    6ft - 125gal
    2-4mm gravel with root tab fertilizer with added iron
    1 x canister filter + 1 whisper 3 (for now)
    Liquid fertilizer added as per directions on bottle
    Plants:
    Dwarf anubias, anubias congensis (I think), java fern, java moss, hygro polysperma (green and sunset), twisted vals, crypts (brown?? + unidentified), echinodorus "marble queen", some sort of grass (5 cm tall), microphyllum wendlov, hairgrass and red tiger lotus.

I know that most of the above plants are low light level because that's all the lighting had allowed up until now. I also want to get some more of the more difficult red plants but I don't want to "upset" the plants that I already have. I'm building a new light cover and plan on using those compact fluro tubes but I am unsure of how many watts I need. Please help!

Thanks
    Leanne

Feedback Score

Lighting ? watts/gallon

Hi, recently I set up a 6ft planted tank and I'm not sure on how many watts per gallon I need.

Tank info:
    6ft - 125gal
    Plants:
    Dwarf anubias, anubias congensis (I think), java fern, java moss, hygro polysperma (green and sunset), twisted vals, crypts (brown?? + unidentified), echinodorus "marble queen", some sort of grass (5 cm tall), microphyllum wendlov, hairgrass and red tiger lotus.

I know that most of the above plants are low light level because that's all the lighting had allowed up until now. I also want to get some more of the more difficult red plants but I don't want to "upset" the plants that I already have. I'm building a new light cover and plan on using those compact fluro tubes but I am unsure of how many watts I need. Please help!

Thanks
    Leanne

Feedback Score

Lighting ? watts/gallon

Tank info:
    6ft - 125gal
    Plants:

Thanks
    Leanne

Feedback Score

Lighting ? watts/gallon

Tank info:
    6ft - 125gal
    Plants:

Thanks
    Leanne

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what the heck does auslicious mean???

Amano's show setups often feature such low light plants as yours together with reds like Eustralis, Rotala macandra, Ludwigia arcuata etc... and the lighting level would tend to cater to the latter, meaning something like 3W/G. The main problem for most would be algae, so controlled fertilisation (maybe half the recommended dose) would be vital.

Try Barclaya longifolia for a red plant that doesn't need as much light as most.... or the red echinodoruses like ozelot, red rubin, barthii, red flame...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    think green spot algae could be the main problem if you maintain balanced nutrient level.

you can go for 3w/gallon but limit the light hours to 8hrs at first. gradually increase lighting duration until there is noticable increase in green spot algae on slower growing plants. cut back a little and keep it there.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye on the algae (been there before).

and Auslicious means nothing, invented after a few too many one late night[]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ooo, another Leanne.

Anyway, when you get more lights, put the Anubias and Java Fern under the shade of taller plants or in darker parts of the tank. Anubias tend to get green spot algae while Java fern will develop brown/black spots under bright lights. Other then that, they'll be none the worse.

The rest will do fine under brighter lights. H. polysperma colours will probably change. Crypts might melt initially, but just snip off the dead leaves... they'll grow new leaves in a few days.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, what are the dimensions of your tank and the current light level? Any pics to share?

Feedback Score
    Hi Vinz,
    Here is a pic and info on my tank, it still looks very ordinary and one day I'll hope it will look as good as the tanks in the gallery!
    http://www.angelfire.com/weir/leannesfishnstuff/Tanks/6'.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Cool stuff. Anyway, welcome onboard and do hang around.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For lighting, might I suggest using Metal Halide pendants. 2 X 150W 6500K would be good enough..... I'm using that for my 4ft tank (115g). Like the results so far. You can view the lights in mytank gallery or here
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hello all,

well this isn't really plant related.
    erm... auslicious....

are you australian + babelicious????!!!![] [] []

just being cheeky... hahaa... hope you don't mind.

Wahboy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Sherwin,

Nice MH light. What is the brand name or is it a DIY? How much does it cost each? Is it hotter than Flourescent? How you keep the water cool (I see no fan)?
    [:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    FC, bought it at Veerasamy rd (opp. SL Tower). I will not recomend you the place as this guy has marked up his price since although I told him not to. PM or catch me on ICQ if you want to know the price and where else you can get the light.

The light get's pretty hot but I'm using a chiller to keep the temp at around 27 deg. For more info please refer to the My Tanks link which is located on the bar at the top of the page.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    hi,

I am fill with envy everytime i see ppl with big tanks. Anyway i think the front looks a bit bare. Would be better if you put some foreground plants.

ken

Feedback Score
    Sherchoo, I considered metal halide lights but hubby say's they are out of the question. I have enough trouble keeping my tanks cool in summer as it is, and he thinks those lights would make my living room like a sauna, so flouro's are the go. You have a beautiful tank

psst Wahboy, I am Australian and errr umm I guess I can dream on lol