1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Black Brush Algae (BBA) on my hairgrass

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys, knew this had been posted lots of time but i really need some advices. Currently having some BBA problem on my hairgrass. Mine is a 1.5x1x1 ft tank using an ehiem 2213 with rainbar and lighting is a 24w pl tube from Osram. KH is 5 and ph is 6.4. Is there anyting else I could add. Im dosing 1ml-2ml of excel everyday but the BBA just wouldn't go away.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quincy,

I can't remember if i posted the following link to help you. Lots of people of the late starting new tanks and are already facing algae problems.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thnks torque6, will try to overdose excel to see if it helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you can try spot dosing it since it is not a big tank. i had the same problem as you with around the same tank size and what i did was reduce water level until it is not covering the bba and then apply excel (double dosage) on the bba directly. after that you can top up the water again. it should work but if the bba is on some plants then the plant might get affected.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Leeson method would do, use a syringe if you want.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeson View Post
    you can try spot dosing it since it is not a big tank. i had the same problem as you with around the same tank size and what i did was reduce water level until it is not covering the bba and then apply excel (double dosage) on the bba directly. after that you can top up the water again. it should work but if the bba is on some plants then the plant might get affected.
    Actually you can do it under the water using syringe, no need to reduce the water level. What you need it direct contact between BBA and concentrated excel solution. You might need to do it once a day for 3 days. Some goes to all type of algae, you need to fix the source otherwise it will come back again.

The weird thing is you already use excel, maybe you need to increase the dose. By the way what fauna do you have? shrimps does not really like excel.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, I have tried the syringe method, but I think because I do not switch off the filters, it does not work as well as spotting directly on it without water Btw, when I use the amount of double dosage for spotting I do not dose further and separate addition of Excel.

I have yamatos, RCS and glass shrimps in the tank. Both the RCS and glass shrimps are breeding consistently. However, I am on a non-CO2 method (which explains why I have so many fishes) so I do not know the effect on a tank with CO2.
    Last edited by Leeson; 25th Mar 2008 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks guys, I did dose excel directly on my hairgrass too but only some turned red and die off. Majority of the BBA still surviving. I had increase the dosage to 8-10ml of excel today and will continue to monitor the situation. Intend to carry this dosage for a week to see if there is any improvement. Yes i do have shrimps in my tank and they are fine after today's excel dosage.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just trim the infected hairgrass and add more CO2 (make sure it gets well mixed in the tank.). Search around for the dropchecker method for CO2 measurement.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter, he is dossing excel instead of pressurize CO2.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Im having CO2 2, attached to an ISTA reactor

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    o.. you do? I miss understand you 1st post then. So you start dossing 1ml-2ml everyday after you found BBA in your hairgrass. If that the case then do as Peter said, by the way did you maintain you filter regularly?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Its okay i believed i didnt mentioned in my 1st post. For the cleaning of filter Im clearing it every 3mths. Will read up more on the dropchecker method.