Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What happen?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just set up my first planted tank(2').Using Eheim 2213,but don't know why whenever i off it to change water,the minute i on it(when its done),there's a lot of floating translucent things coming out from my rain bar.It clouds my water,floats around like small pieces of plastic bag?I'm using zeolight,,ceremaic rings and the filter media provided by the original packing,What could have been wrong?Please enlighten,thank you.[:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What happen?

Just set up my first planted tank(2').Using Eheim 2213,but don't know why whenever i off it to change water,the minute i on it(when its done),there's a lot of floating translucent things coming out from my rain bar.It clouds my water,floats around like small pieces of plastic bag?I'm using zeolight,,ceremaic rings and the filter media provided by the original packing,What could have been wrong?Please enlighten,thank you.[:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What happen?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What happen?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Zeolite is not good for planted tanks. It works like activated carbon and will remove trace fert from the water too.

The stuff coming out of the rain bar is stuff growing on the inside of your pipes. I'm told it's bacteria. Anyway, it's harmless. What I do is remove the pipes, connect them to the tap and flush out the stuff before I restart the filter. When you start using fert, it'll turn brown.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sims, it is your filter media. did you wash the filter media before setting up your filter? If you have not, it could be the particles from your zeolite or even ceramic rings or sintered glass. do advise.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear members,
    Thanks for all the advices,i did wash and soak my rings and zeolight before using.Is it true that the floating things are harmless?What should i use instead of zeolight?I am using geo liquid too.But after a few usage,the liquid in the bottle turns a bit blackish when i pour out.Me now scare to use it.[:] Please enlighten,thank you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I do have that "translucent thing" when I turn on the filter. Like vinz said, it's from the pipe and it's harmless. Fish will eat them! I use a cloth type net standing by the output pipe to catch it before turning on the power.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Instead of Zeolite, you might wanna buy some sintered glass... 2 of the better brands at biohome and eheim ehfi substrate... this is design to allow you to culture bacteria.

Alternatively you could just stick more filter wool where your zeolite used to be... I would go for the former option though.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For a planted tank, your filter media should not include any form of chemical filteration.

You need:
    • Mechanical filtration
    • Fine filter pad/wool (usually white), and
    • Coarse filter pad (Eheim filters usually comes with a blue one).
      Biological filtration
    • Sintered glass, or
    • Eheim EhfiSubtrate (also sintered glass), or
    • Biohome, or
    • Ceramic rings.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    are you certain ehfisubstrate is sintered glass? I always have a feeling (from touching it) that its just glorified zeolite.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yep. Read the product brief at the www.eheim.com.