Images
    Country
    Singapore

guppies in office

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, intend to set up a small cube tank with guppies in it at office.
    No filter, aerators etc. Reason being that not allowed to run all these electrical devices. Risk of fire.

I saw most LFS display their guppies in small cube tank with no aerators. Once ask owner of C328 and was told that need only change water once a week.

Bought 2 the other day and set up in office but fish dead in 2 days. Seen them swimming near surface all the time.

Advice appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There can be a couple of reasons (brothers and sisters out there can add in any that I might have missed)

1) Your water chemistry in the tank proved to be deadly to the fish. Did you use dechlorinated water or straight from the tap?

2) Did you acclimatize your guppies to the new tank?

3) Any water plants? Since you have no air pump..amount of dissolved oxygen is in the water is quite low I guess. Might wanna get a small and hardy plant like nana to give your fishes a fighting chance!

4) Might wanna do a fishless cycling of your tank before adding the guppies in. For more info on that, search AQ article database

5) Usually livebearers like the guppies like a bit of aquarium salt in their water too.

6) Parasite attack?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i doubt it is due to the dissolved O2 problem. As i said, I seen LFS putting 6 to 7 guppies in a small cube w/o aeration. BTW, How do these manage to survive?

Could be the cycling not done long enough.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    dont compare LFS way and yours

got add water conditioner ?

got left over food ?

where you got your guppies ?

you work in HDB is it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree with vstudio on everthing. Just know that when you add salt, the water stinks quite fast.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    guppies usually dont require alot of aeration. in your case might be due to the water parameters. like not adding anti chlorine, water not stable etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You must understand that LFS has high turn over of fishes, fishes get sold and new ones comes in. Where as you are keeping it long term, though guppies are hardy fishes, I think at least get a internal bubble filter.

If really that bad, then I suggest you rear a betta. You can tell your boss stagnant water breed mosquitos

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by alechim View Post
    You must understand that LFS has high turn over of fishes, fishes get sold and new ones comes in. Where as you are keeping it long term, though guppies are hardy fishes, I think at least get a internal bubble filter.

If really that bad, then I suggest you rear a betta. You can tell your boss stagnant water breed mosquitos
    stagnant water breed mosquitos but the fish will eat the larvae

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    think i must consult the boss at C328 in detail what is the water quality that he used to keep his guppies in stagnant h2o.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    as long as you got good water conditioner, keeping guppy is as easy as ABC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think there's a kind of colourful stone/product that is supposed to release dissolved O2 into the water...
    Next project: Converting my 3ft freshwater fish planted tank into a shrimp tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald Ho View Post
    I think there's a kind of colourful stone/product that is supposed to release dissolved O2 into the water...
    Colourful tiny bubble-like pebbles yes, release dissolved O2 no.:P Not in the strictest sense as they are just a kind of substrate that act as biological filters I think Qian Hu has this product. About 6-8 bucks for a bottle The name of the product is a bit misleading though...'Mini Oxygen Crystal Balls'....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by alechim View Post

I support the betta idea too! Bettas are very beautiful and hardy labyrinth fishes which can thrive even in stagnant water. So aerators are the least of your worries:P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by d2hpeter View Post
    i doubt it is due to the dissolved O2 problem. As i said, I seen LFS putting 6 to 7 guppies in a small cube w/o aeration. BTW, How do these manage to survive?

Could be the cycling not done long enough.
    The LFS is showcasing the small cubes, not the guppies my friend!:P Those poor fishes could be very uncomfortable there and might not 'survive' very long for all we know:P I've seen some LFSs overcrowding their tanks with fishes and then scooping up dead ones now and then....sad and angry too

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just another point to add.
    Most LFS do not feed the fish.
    Only select ones (i.e. expensive) get fed and then very minimally.
    This allows them to get away with what they do as ammonia buildup is minimized.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Without filter, I would suggest adding plants to help in the eco system.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i thought plants take in oxygen too, when there is no light

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Could it be office aircon too cold, once tried keeping platties and red tail sharks in office, in the end, all are flashing and need to transport them back home

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am doing another round of fishless cycling.
    Will put in some moss too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Damn it ! I can't imagine myself desperate till looking for a battery operated air pump. Sound really silly!

btw, anyone seen the cute Tetra whisper pump in LFS [bottom pic]. Though ac operated, might be a good decorative to go with nano tank.