Images
    Country
    Singapore

White spot medication and fry

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How harmful is white spot medication to fry? I have a batch of apisto fry swimming with their parents now, but i suspect their parents have white spot and want to take preventive/corrective action asap. will the medication kill the fry? would i need to medicate the fry too anyway to prevent them from being infected? or should i just use a heater to keep the water (it's a nano tank so a heater may be risky) at 28-30 degrees and hope that the parasites get killed by the warmer water?

also, what's a good and effective white spot medication?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Compare medication to increasing the temperature. I feel that medication may be more of a risk as it may be too strong for the underdeveloped organs of fries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how effective is increasing temperature in eradicating white spot completely?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had a pretty bad experience with medication many years ago (brand was also highly recommended, even plant safe).... followed the instructions and was even stingy about the dosage. 1st, it stained my tank and eventually killed almost the whole tankload except leaving for 1 or 2 survivals.

Slightly 2 years ago kena again from some new fauna I bought. Tried slowly increasing the temperature. The ick, sort of dried up then dropped off the bodies of fauna... sort of like chicken pots. Comparing both incidents, I've become an advocate of increasing the temperature.

If I remember correctly, it took about a week for them to recover. Or maybe slightly less...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ok thanks! will head down to c328 this evening and hopefully they will have a heater for nano tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yixiang,
    sorry to hear your beloved apitos got white spots.
    White spots use to plague my luo han in the past.
    Heat doesn't really kill the parasite, it will hasten their life span.
    They die before they can breed.
    I use plenty of salt and raise temp to 32 degrees.
    Hope that helps.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    salt's not currently an option due to the fry currently in the tank i'll try and get a small heater at c328 this evening, failing which i'll just buy medication

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i just read that the white spot parasites cannot survive beyond 30 degrees celcius...so will raising the temperature to that level for a week exterminate them without the use of medication?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    im not exactly sure about 30 degs being the "kill" point
    and kinda lazy to go read and find out

but im quite sure using a heater 28-30 degs for a week or less should do the job
    salt will help but then again like discussed in your other thread, adding anything in is not really an option

unless you want to remove the fries...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks =) i got a rena heater already so let's see how it goes. the odd thing, though, is that i bought a thermometer and it's telling me my tank temp is already about 28 degrees...wasted money on a heater?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yixiang,
    28 degrees is no use. you must hit 31 or 32 degrees to be effective.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha must raise slowly ma richard going to up it 1 degree every hour till it hits 30

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    heater has been set to 31 degrees as of 11pm last night, with the thermometer showing 32 degrees. Hope this kills off the white spot without the need for medication. One thing i note, however, is that besides the white spots on the fins of the apistos, they do not exhibit any other signs of the disease such as flashing or listlessness...in fact, both fish are really lively and defending their brood (as of last count, they have collectively killed 1 zebra oto and 3 marbled hatchetfish...with 1 more zebra oto missing so i don't know if he's dead or hiding...very expensive brood of fry!!). is parenting giving them the extra adrenaline boost to be active despite the disease?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yixiang,
    you sure those are white spots? I know white spots spread quite fast and usually it will cover the body as well. Anyway it's good to hear that they are not sick
    Richard

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    looked like white spot to me...white spots on the fins, what else could it be? after putting the heater, most of the white spots are gone now, left 1 spot on the female's dorsal...will keep the heat treatment up for a week to be extra sure

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yixiang,
    glad to hear the good news
    Richard

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fantastic news...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the best part is that most if not all of the fry are still alive. i read that at high temperatures the entire life cycle of the white spot parasite is over in 48 hours, so if after today the fry don't die en masse, i think they are safe! just need to keep the temperature high for another 3-4 days after that to make sure all the parasites lurking in the water are fully killed, then i can remove the heater

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    >3 days with the temperature at 31-32 and the female still has white spots on her fins...am i misdiagnosing? the fry are still alive too

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ive used aezoo white spots medication on my group of guppies once when i first started, was advised by LFS owner to push temperature to 30 degrees then dose medication and changed water. Seriously if you ask me, they really dont work at all. I lost 80% of them. I pretty much gave up and quarantine the remaining 3 into a small tank, changed water every 3 days and fed them hikari fish food, the one that have anti-botics and vitamins. But i did this minimally, 1x small portion per day.

The white spots surprising disappeared after about a week. Till date i didnt know what i did correctly and how they managed to survive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast