Thread: Clear water

Feedback Score

Clear water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Folks,

It has been about 2 weeks since I have set up my 4 ft tank but the water is still cloudy...not very clear as yet. I have done about a quarter tank water change about 3 times per week. I know that I must be patient before it clears but any tips to make it clear faster?
    Many thanks.

Ivan

Feedback Score

Clear water

Hi Folks,

It has been about 2 weeks since I have set up my 4 ft tank but the water is still cloudy...not very clear as yet. I have done about a quarter tank water change about 3 times per week. I know that I must be patient before it clears but any tips to make it clear faster?
    Many thanks.

Ivan

Feedback Score

Clear water

Hi Folks,

Many thanks.

Ivan

Feedback Score

Clear water

Hi Folks,

Many thanks.

Ivan

Feedback Score
    Try biozyme.It will help to kick start your biological filter material if you are using it in your canister filter.The nitrogen cycle take up to 1month plus to take effect.Once that happen,your tank will be crystal clear.Changing water so frequently will not help at all.It might have detrimental effect instead.Can go C328 to look for the biozyme solution if you living in the west side.Most LFS has them too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do water change only if the water is extremely cloudy.

Whaty's you tank details (light, CO2, fert, fish, plants, filter, etc)? Maybe we can tell you more based on that. Scoop up the water and view it against a white background... if it looks greenish, it's the early stages of green water, if not then it's probably a bacteria bloom.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    do you have a spare filter? if not put the first bottom most of your canister filter, add some fine filter floss, add some flocculant (ie: those crystal clear kind of products)..

provided of course you didn't use kitty litter a substrate. heh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/17/2002 11:41:40 PM

Hi Folks,

Many thanks.

Ivan
    ----------------
    If there's no fish or not much fish inside, you may like to try Ocean Free Crystal Clear solution. It worked for my tank. See Effects of using Ocean Free Crystal Clear.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ivan,

I had bad experience with cloudy water in the past. There are basically 3 reasons:
    1) bacteria boom caused by new setup (high nutrient seep out from the base fert)
    2) fine unsettled particles that filter cannot trap (except diatom filter)
    3) green water just started

I had fighted this problems (I have all of them[] ) for months. Why so long? Because I used all kind of methods like:
    1) chemical to bond them, so that filter can trap them. It helps only the symtom, cloudy will be back in 2 weeks.
    2) change only 25% water.
    3) keep cleaning the filter
    It was a nightmare that I even thought of giving up the hobby altogether. Until I found this magical thing called UV light. I bought the JBL 11 watts type which works just sufficient for my 4x2x2 tank. I think a step higher in rating (UV lamp) would be better. It kills both the bacterias and the green water algae.

How to just a clear water? Look through tank from the front(short) and from the side (long). They should nearly the same quality.

I hope this help.

Feedback Score
    Hi folks,

Thanks for all the reply. It looks cloudy but can be too sure if it's the early stage of green water.

It's a 4x2x2 ft tank with 304w lights and the temp has been about 26 - 27 degrees celcius. The light is on about 6 hrs a day.

I'll probably go look for some biozyme and hopes it help. Dun wanna try the crystal clear as there's fishes in the tank. As for teh UV....that'll be the last resort...dun believe that I can't have this licked as I have been in this hobbies for years

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ivan,

I had tried that too (from Dupla) but still fail. UV light and change water (up to 50%/week). I know it is costly, ask NA's Chan why he has it on all his tank (that cost him alot too).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Does that mean all planted tank MUST have a UV installed if not u'll get green water or bateria boom?
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope. The best way, imo, is still by nutrient control and algae eaters. But it's easier said then done.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So what are the methods for clearing green water without using UV?
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Blackout method...no more than 3 days though...or it will hurt your plants. [] ...
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Before applying blackout method, you need to figure out what's causing the nutrient imbalance and fix it, else GW will come back after the blackout. Also do a massive water change before the blackout to reduce the amount of GW algae.

If the tank has no fishes, dump in a bag of water daphnia. They will eat up all the GW. After which they become food for your fishes.

Feedback Score
    Folks,

Thanks all for the kind advice. I've purchased Ocean Free A-Z bacteria and I hoped that I can at least see some results by this week end. My fingers are crossed

Another great news is that I have noticed that my app. agga. are leaving my yamatoes alone...hope that it carries on. Wonder if that means that I can introduce bee & tiger shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/19/2002 11:56:57 PM

Another great news is that I have noticed that my app. agga. are leaving my yamatoes alone...hope that it carries on. Wonder if that means that I can introduce bee & tiger shrimps
    ----------------
    I'm not suprised.... mine left the yamatos alone too and my tank was overloaded with apistos.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]