Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ammonia Poisoning..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys.. when a large (75% or more) water change is done in a tank.. will there be amonia poisoning..??.. if yes, can anyone give a short explanation ..

much thanks..
    Jerry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What I can think of is you kill the BB colony in the filter during the water change somehow.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    In a short span, there shouldn't be ammonia poisoning (unless you have disturbed the gravel during water change and caused the waste to free float into the water). as mentioned above, large water change may affect the BB colony and thus a chain reaction taking place, but this should take a longer time for the poisoning to happen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    AA24,

A water change resets the water chemistry in your tank. However, very large water changes > 75% will affect your resident BB colony in your tank. I am trying to understand where you are getting at? Is ammonia showing up in your test kits ? How much ppm are you looking at ? Does your water source itself contains ammonia some how ? If so where it is from ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks to All for your response..

I posted the above after I read this

"Symptoms of ammonia poisoning are gasping at the surface for quite a while before they succumb. So quick death without showing symptoms of gasping at the surface points AWAY from ammonia or CO2 poisoning. Any ammonia readings you get may be due to the dead fishes" ... by Vinz

in one of the post.. http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...nia#post321926

I had a recent incident where I had made a large water change and the water I used was conditioned for both chlorine and chloramine.. hence I discounted the death of the BB and the subsequent consequences of that..

After the water change.. many of the fish were breathing at the surface.. and after a couple of hours some were barely able to keep their balance..

I thought it might be a swing in the PH.. but I could not confirm it because I had not taken a reading before the water change..

Many of the fish died.. all within 6hrs.. Only the boraras brigittae had no casualty.. Oddly.. all my shrimp survived..

So..... I am perplexed....
    Jerry

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AA24 View Post
    Thanks to All for your response..

I posted the above after I read this

"Symptoms of ammonia poisoning are gasping at the surface for quite a while before they succumb. So quick death without showing symptoms of gasping at the surface points AWAY from ammonia or CO2 poisoning. Any ammonia readings you get may be due to the dead fishes" ... by Vinz

in one of the post.. http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...nia#post321926

I had a recent incident where I had made a large water change and the water I used was conditioned for both chlorine and chloramine.. hence I discounted the death of the BB and the subsequent consequences of that..

After the water change.. many of the fish were breathing at the surface.. and after a couple of hours some were barely able to keep their balance..

I thought it might be a swing in the PH.. but I could not confirm it because I had not taken a reading before the water change..

Many of the fish died.. all within 6hrs.. Only the boraras brigittae had no casualty.. Oddly.. all my shrimp survived..

So..... I am perplexed....

Hi. I've experienced the same thing also, surprised that only the shrimp survives. I was rescaping the plants and disturb the gravel. So ammonia strikes at that time, one by one the fish dies. But changing 75% water is ok, just add anti-chlorine will do.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi
    I think what Vinz later explained was that the chloramine undergoes a chemical reaction when conditioner is added to break down into chlorine and bound ammonia.

Under normal cirumcstances this bound ammonia is broken down by the biological filter slowly as it dissociates to free ammonia after it has been added to your tank.

Therefore a situation that may arise with aged water in which the bound ammonia has had time to dissociate into free ammonia in your storage container. Thus when added to your tank in a large enough volume you end up with a paradoxical ammonia spike that your biological filter may not be able to deal with, causing fish death.

At least that's what I understood

Most LFS pple hae told me that you should never change more than 50% at a go even in crisis, and usually 30% for a normal change.

Think 75% is rather drastic.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by properfool View Post
    Hi
    I think what Vinz later explained was that the chloramine undergoes a chemical reaction when conditioner is added to break down into chlorine and bound ammonia.

Under normal cirumcstances this bound ammonia is broken down by the biological filter slowly as it dissociates to free ammonia after it has been added to your tank.

Therefore a situation that may arise with aged water in which the bound ammonia has had time to dissociate into free ammonia in your storage container. Thus when added to your tank in a large enough volume you end up with a paradoxical ammonia spike that your biological filter may not be able to deal with, causing fish death.

At least that's what I understood

Most LFS pple hae told me that you should never change more than 50% at a go even in crisis, and usually 30% for a normal change.

Think 75% is rather drastic.
    What i do was slowly introduce the water instead of rushing the water, has being doing that recently for 2 weeks due to green water. Y618 boss also do that, he change 80% of the water, so long you introduce the water slowly. So far so good

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys,
    So let me summarised, you are experiencing poisoning upon water changes ? Do you guys aged water, test them before adding them to the main tank? I usually aged water for about a week adding sechem prime and sechem equilibrium.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I just added Nutrafin anti-cholrine before adding tap water. Was taught by NA! So far so good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Good, Chan gives very good advise most of the time and is vey helpful.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It happens to me before.

What I did was I go for only 10% water change. After 6+ hours, I go for another 10% water change. This goes on for 3 days.

At least there is some buffer time for the BB to regenerate during the 6+ hours. Not a lot of time, but at least it works.

Another simpler way out is just use the Ammonia down solution, available in all LFS.