Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

First Vivarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    just like to share my little Vivarium with you that i just made :P need to cut the top but i think it has gone well for a beginner at vivs

Last edited by Justikanz; 21st Apr 2008 at 17:03. Reason: 'u'
    Brendan Hsieh Lung Chua

Check Out My Blog http://hsiehlung.squarespace.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    if you notice i havent done mine i will add some nana and other plants going to cover the background in black and place the moss a bit better ...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 21st Apr 2008 at 17:26. Reason: 'u'
    Brendan Hsieh Lung Chua

Check Out My Blog http://hsiehlung.squarespace.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro, any update to share?

I notice that your filter outlet is shooting out directly on the mosses... What I have done for my tank is to aim the outlet at the driftwood and let the water slowly run down along the driftwood. This will keep the wood and the moss moist at all time and also increase the humidity of the tank thru more water evapouration..

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Merviso,

What kind of moss are suitable for this type of wet-dry setup? I dont think all types of mosses can be used rite? Understand some are more tolerant than others.....im thinking of getting mosses but theres many types....christmas moss, taiwan moss, java, spiky etc....really confuses me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Occellatus, I have not tried much mosses also... so far Christmas and spiky moss is ok..

I'm now trying some mosses that I collected myself from around my office area carpark... Looks good for me too.. You can refer to http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=39288

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thats a superb piece of art you got bro!!! Real talented man....

I notice you have glosso as well.....they do well in semi aquatic environment? Didnt know most submerged plants are able to thrive in half wet environment also....really something interesting that ive learnt.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 21st Apr 2008 at 17:26. Reason: 'u'

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    And bro Merviso, I noticed your moss grows at the back of the foam background as well...have been trying to figure out how to attach these moss on the background without nets and stuff....really dunno how you guys managed to attach it during the setup stage man....
    Last edited by Justikanz; 21st Apr 2008 at 17:27. Reason: 'u', 'ur'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, learning most of the stuff from the sticky, and the rest is all trial and errors...

Glosso and HC are both OK for emersed planting, but I find the Glosso getting a bit messy growing up towards the light. I have just planted 2 Gu Jing on the land area and hope it will do well too...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh ya...glosso grows up when lighting conditions are insufficient....i remember during my planted days, i provided about 4 watts per gallon for them before they start to spread...not easy 'critter's they are. Whats HC bro?
    Last edited by Justikanz; 21st Apr 2008 at 17:27. Reason: 'rem', 'em'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That moss is a very special and interesting moss that I got from the carpark... more like jungle moss but I do not know the name yet. It is long and thick with the outer most part green and the inner part brown; looks like it's growing outwards.

Actually, between the egg crate and foam background is a piece of sponge to prevent my newts to get stuck in between. So I basically stack the moss up on top of the sponge... If this moss turn out well, haha, I still have a whole tree of it in the carpark...

HC is Hemianthus micranthemoides.

Oh, let not get out of topic in this thread. Let's go back to your thread to continue the discussion. Sorry about that, hsiehlung...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 21st Apr 2008 at 17:27.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Merviso View Post
    That moss is a very special and interesting moss that I got from the carpark... more like jungle moss but I do not know the name yet. It is long and thick with the outer most part green and the inner part brown; looks like it's growing outwards.

Actually, between the egg crate and foam background is a piece of sponge to prevent my newts to get stuck in between. So I basically stack the moss up on top of the sponge... If this moss turn out well, haha, I still have a whole tree of it in the carpark...
    The sponge idea is good.....im thinking of putting a layer of black sponge between the background and substrate as well..so that when the water flows down from the background, it does not directly disturb the Gex soil below....

Hmm...sourcing of the moss seems interesting.....i will go look for some...so when i see the type of moss that i want...what do i do bro? Just cut the entire thing up and lay in my tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

oops

HC is Hemianthus micranthemoides
    HC is Hemianthus callitrichoides
    HM is Hemianthus micranthemoides

Just a little error there

Graeme
    PS thanks Brendon for the HC you shared

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ops... Did it too fast, thanks Graeme for correcting me...