Images
    Country
    Singapore

DIY fan set for 4X2X2 setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Did this for my 422. manage to lower the tank temperrature to 26 and below. Lowest recorded thus far(after 1 week) is 24.6 degrees celcius.

Cost is less than SGD$80. Power comsumption is lower as the loading for the fan is 1 AMP. Operating voltage is 12 v. only set back is that it is pretty noisy.... Can hear the fan sound even from my master bed room but once door closed it is quiet. Comments please. Also the evaporation rate is high. Every day top up 2X 1.25 liter bottle. But i think as compared to chiller, the savings in turns of electricity is rather high? Please correct me if i am worng with this assumption.
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 12th Apr 2008 at 00:45.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is the thing that you have shown in the picture?

I saw a fan in the middle but can share what is the other item at the near end?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lme View Post
    What is the thing that you have shown in the picture?

I saw a fan in the middle but can share what is the other item at the near end?

i believe you are referring to the inverter. Available at simlim tower, third floor.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i thougth buying a chiller but if ur DIY project work i thin i will invest one on my 3ft shrimp tank

mind sharing what are the parts required and how to do it....
    especially the invertor portions.

tks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wsw View Post
    i thougth buying a chiller but if ur DIY project work i thin i will invest one on my 3ft shrimp tank

mind sharing what are the parts required and how to do it....
    especially the invertor portions.

tks
    should we meet up for coffee?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Materials needed:

Air con trunking, 12v dc fan, inverter, lengths of wire, drill and drill bit, plastic cutter and time.

on the inverter over at the dc out put portion, there is 2 set of Vplus and command post. I utilise only set and connect the fans in parallel. the total amphere loading that the inverter can take is 5 amp. The is also a voltage adjuster on it BUT don't touch that. Total time of fabrication is about 1.5 hour. Cost may be higher than MR Aqua Super Tornado fan but the satisfaction of putting together a concept is rathe fun and shiok.
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 16th Apr 2008 at 23:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi,

What is the purpose of the inverter?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lme View Post
    Hi,

What is the purpose of the inverter?

Convert the incoming power supply of 230VAC to the 24 or 12V DC required to run the fan.

Cool setup, but I am worry about all the exposed wires especially in such a damp environment.
    Would be good to do a housing or cover for the exposed electrical parts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    Did this for my 422. manage to lower the tank temperrature to 26 and below. Lowest recorded thus far(after 1 week) is 24.6 degrees celcius.

Cost is less than SGD$80. Power comsumption is lower as the loading for the fan is 1 AMP. Operating voltage is 12 v. only set back is that it is pretty noisy.... Can hear the fan sound even from my master bed room but once door closed it is quiet. Comments please. Also the evaporation rate is high. Every day top up 2X 1.25 liter bottle. But i think as compared to chiller, the savings in turns of electricity is rather high? Please correct me if i am worng with this assumption.
    I took a closer look at your wiring.

You have your brown wired connected to the ground terminal of the inverter (DC power supply) and the green/yellow wire connected to the live terminal (L).

It would be good if you could adhere to common electrical practice (for safety purpose) where the brown wire is connected to Live and the green/yellow wire to ‘ground/earth’.

You might need to do so at your plug as well since your whole system is already in running condition.

Cheers
    Nicholas

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Another consideration :-

Are you drawing air into the tank or out? Swapping the red and black wire connection at the terminal of the fan would reverse the air flow direction.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by nicktc View Post
    I took a closer look at your wiring.

You have your brown wired connected to the ground terminal of the inverter (DC power supply) and the green/yellow wire connected to the live terminal (L).

It would be good if you could adhere to common electrical practice (for safety purpose) where the brown wire is connected to Live and the green/yellow wire to ‘ground/earth’.

You might need to do so at your plug as well since your whole system is already in running condition.

Cheers
    Nicholas
    thanks for your inputs. will do it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by nicktc View Post
    Another consideration :-

Are you drawing air into the tank or out? Swapping the red and black wire connection at the terminal of the fan would reverse the air flow direction.
    The fans are blowing air into the tank hence the rapid evaporation.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi David,

Good job! Too bad you didn't take pictures of the construction process. (Or did you?)

Cheers!
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I do have some input to share too.

There are 80mm and 120mm silent PC Desktop fans out there sold in Sim Lim Square and Sim Lim Tower.
    These are often used by computer desktops enthusiasts building their rigs.
    Just look for those with lower decibels (dB) and high CFM output fans.
    If you do not understand what I'm trying to explain here please look at one of these fans
    Noctua Silent Fans

These fans are designed to have good airflow and low noise, the normal voltage is from 5v to 12v.
    Also high speed = loud noise and it does not equals better cooling it is the airflow we are concerned about.
    You can add a voltage dimmer control to help you adjust voltage input of the fans, lower voltage = slower fan speed = lower noise output, think it like a dimmer for the lights.
    Last edited by heeroyu16; 17th Apr 2008 at 12:02.
    Jonathan ~Sith code~
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength,
    Through strength, I gain power,
    Through power, I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm having fans with such a dimmer put in for my t5ho lightset to cool the ballast. i think the dimmers are cheaply/readily available and good to have to reduce noise while still providing some airflow

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the inverter comes with a voltage adjuster. as for the fans, i am aware of them . it's jusdt that i don't have time to go and get them. so for now, i will have to close my room door whn i sleep...

BT. i didn't take photo of the construction.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    inverter is a device that converts dc power into ac power. it is not the correct term to be used for your dc power supply. a more precise term is switch mode power supply.

and the voltage adjustment allows a narrow range adjustment range. the lowest voltage should be around 10~11v. the reduction in voltage will not help much in reducing fan noise.

from the picture, it looks like both the live and neutral terminals are not covered. there is a risk of electrical shock if someone accidentally touches the terminals.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it fits so nicely.. looks professional also...
    is that Air Con trunking that you used? if it can be fully covered and only holes at the fan area with a mesh covering the fan area , and if colour of casing is black in colour, it will look more professional ..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Really a nice piece of DIY project. But I feel that the inverter is too close to the water. And since your AC input is not water proofed, many things can go wrong.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice! I went to sls to look at the fans and inverters before seeing this thread, now to get my hands dirty...

(maybe put the inverter out of the tank, any comments?)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    other then using the inverter, can we just use a DC adapter? so that the power source is away from the water..

roughly what is the cost for the inverter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast