Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yamato,akiller?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just purchase a few yamato shrimps(4cm),and let them in my planted tank,later i notice they are chasing after my drawf puffer and other smaller yamato.I also find out that they are going after food(frozen blood worm) during feeding time.Will they start to kill my fishes and smaller shrimps when they are hungry?Aren't they algae eater?Please advice.[:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yamato,akiller?

Just purchase a few yamato shrimps(4cm),and let them in my planted tank,later i notice they are chasing after my drawf puffer and other smaller yamato.I also find out that they are going after food(frozen blood worm) during feeding time.Will they start to kill my fishes and smaller shrimps when they are hungry?Aren't they algae eater?Please advice.[:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yamato,akiller?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yamato,akiller?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nope.. they r savagers, so u can rest ensure they wouldnt touch yr fishes and of coz provided u got yrself the correct shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dun think they wil actually kill fishes... the most I've seen is they go after dying or dead fishes.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/17/2002 11:05:19 PM
    later i notice they are chasing after my drawf puffer
    ----------------
    Your yamato were chasing the puffer? wow that should be interesting... I think your shrimps are on steroids...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess it's because the puffer somehow hovers on the certain spot for too long and the yamato thinks it's a free lunch and decided to take on it.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe it's glass shrimps. Tell us where n how much u bought it.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    difference in Yamato and glass shrimp is, Yamato has dots horizontally on the body while the glass shrimp doesn't, glass shrimp have big claw like pincers.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My yamato shrimp eats blood worms and sinking wafers, not algae. If I don't feed them, they will go after the smaller malayan shrimps. Juggler was witness to one such carnivorous act. The larger yamato shrimp just pounce on the smaller shrimp and carried it off for a meal. No wonder my malayan shrimp population is shrinking rapidly.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 11/18/2002 10:42:32 AM

No wonder my malayan shrimp population is shrinking rapidly.
    ----------------
    Yeah, the yamatoes in my tank completely wiped out my malayans. Like in a matter of a week! And they are pretty aggressive going for the food as well. The main problem is that they're still eating some of the plants!

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm I've not seen them in action, but I have noticed a couple of dead malayans... or at least their shells... nothing else in my tank is capable, so I guess the same is happening in my tank.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anybody seen large Yamatos attack smaller Yamatos?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 11/19/2002 9:26:30 AM

hmmm I've not seen them in action, but I have noticed a couple of dead malayans... or at least their shells... nothing else in my tank is capable, so I guess the same is happening in my tank.
    ----------------
    maybe they just moult (change shell) mine yamato are cute loving creature that always ate up my gold 7 ferterliser. its my ghost shrimp that is eating up my bee shrimp, again they may just be eating their dead bodies.

ken

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm currently left with the bigger yamato the smaller one just died one by one. But it did not turn red. Also noticed that the smaller one are always hiding in a group at one corner of my tanks while the bigger one is roaming aound the tank.

Can anyone explain why? thanks. [:] [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe its another species of yamato shrimp or a mutant shrimp that eats only meat instead of algae.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do watch it....

they are opportunity feeders. Have seen them try to go after my sick fishes.... And my malayans and bumblebees are all gone.... location unknown, even my leopard cory also dissapeared... Still wondering where it went...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not a mutant but a cannibalistic?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Today, just witness another Yamato shrimp carried off a malayan shrimp. Also saw a large Yamato shrimp trying to catch my 4 cm oto for a while. And I discovered my small Chocolate Gourami was attacked by a Yamato. Don't think it will survive. And best of all, the Yamato shrimps are more interested in hanging around and waiting for bloodworms than clearing algae.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast