Images
    Country
    Singapore

HELP!! Corys with fungus!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bought 5 Corydoras aeneus on Sunday and they were placed in a 1 ft tank which had already been cycled for 5 days. They were doing fine until today. 4 have died and I am trying desperately to save the last one .

I do not know what is wrong, there seems to be fungus growing on its body and barbels. It's body appears to have what seems like scratches. IN fact, there seems to bu fungus growing on some of the fissiden that I tied to a piece of bogwood I put in the tank.

I don't have a picture as I took them with my handphone so they are blurry. I've placed the last cory into a separate contained of water with some salt.

Could anybody possibly tell me what happened?

1ft setup
    1 piece of bogwood with fissiden
    java fern tied to driftwood.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    5 days for a non-CO2 planted tank? Great way to stress fish out and kill them with nitrogen cycle.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They might have picked up the fungal spores in their original fish tank at the LFS, plus it was a bad move to throw the 5 of them in the tank this early in the cycle. If I was you I'd euthanise the last remaining fish. Fungal infections are a pain to deal with. I've lost some fish to fungus and almost always had to euthanise them.

By the way, 5 Corydoras aeneus is too much for a 1 foot tank. I would not keep more than a pair of these aeneus in a 1 footer. Best suggestion are dwarf corys, the habrosus, hastatus and pygmaeus do fine in small groups in 1 feet tanks. The bigger species don't really like the small spaces, plus they get less food in such tanks. If you don't feed them often they'll get malnourished, because they are constantly on the search for food.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Benk,

Is this the same 1FT tank you bought from qianhu or the tank with multiple deaths ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's the 1 ft tank from qianhu

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    you rush and gone out to fill your 1FT tank as well? There isnt a need to be impatient. 5 days cycle is too short as we have advise similarly for your 2FT.