Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Calcium carbonate tablets

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, any of you use the CaCO3 tablets to beef up the kH? I'm thinking of switching to the tablets but do not know the dosage and any effect caused by the tablets. Anyway I'm quite tired of adding baking soda all the times into my tank and the constant supply of CO2 always overcome the buffer, causing pH to drop.

If you have experience, please share the information.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, any of you use the CaCO3 tablets to beef up the kH? I'm thinking of switching to the tablets but do not know the dosage and any effect caused by the tablets. Anyway I'm quite tired of adding baking soda all the times into my tank and the constant supply of CO2 always overcome the buffer, causing pH to drop.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pH will always drop with injection of CO2...it is up to us to control how much to add so as to reduce the drop to a acceptable range. Really dunno what you mean by your problem..? (As long as bubble rate is constant..i don't see why your pH will continue to drop everyday unless some of your plants are using carbonates directly causing your KH to drop.)
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/21/2002 2:49:25 PM

----------------
    Jason, how about trying coral chips? Tie some in a mesh and put in your filter or hide somewhere in your tank. Observe and test to see if it helps.
    The theory is this: CO2 makes water acidic >> Coral chips dissolves faster >> kH and pH rise >> pH become neutralised by CO2 again resulting approx neutral pH and higher kH.
    My previous tank has coral chips in abundence in the substrate. I never have problem of low kH and pH. It's always high -- at least 5 dkH and pH 7.0 to 7.4. Coral chips has Mg and Ca. Good for plants as well.
    Problem with this method is you can control the kH only via water change. It can get very high like 11 dkH if no water change is done. And some plants seem to prefer lower kH.
    Yeah - my new tank always low in kH. I am going to try the coral chips soon. Tired of adding Baking Soda like you.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter, sorry for not stating the problem clearly. My CO2 tank solenoid is spoiled, so I let the gas pump into the tank all the times. CO2 supplied is already 1bps, guess cannot go much lower. So my problem is the effort required to maintain sufficient kH in order that pH will not fall below 6.5.

Koah Fong, you got pm.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wks...maybe can go for 1 bubble per 3-10 seconds? Why don't get a new solenoid? Anyway, mine is at 7 bubbles per 10 second...mmmm..[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How do you do that?[:0]My control is not accurate below 1bps. Anyway I have checked the solenoid price with Chan from NA and other sources, its too expensive. Chan mentioned that CO2 can be released into the tank all the times, in fact he showed me one of his diaplay tanks has CO2 supply running 24 hours.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wks...get a good needle valve and you adjust bubble rate less than 1 bubble per second. I did seen in this forum that Festo sells solenoids at $15-25...why don't you drop by there with your regulator to test fit for one.... Anyway, did you ask chan what is the bubble rate for the tank which has CO2 for 24hrs? Any fishes inside?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter you got pm.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wks you have pm. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have my CO2 running 24 hours continuously at about 75bubbles/min... no problems with my fish. I actually bought a solenoid, but strangely enough never used it...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What size is your tank? As long as O2 is in abundance before lights "off" and CO2 level during the night does not hit so high such that the fishes cannot respire..should be no problem.