Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Overgrowing plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I need some help in understanding the use of CO2 in a planted tank.

1)What does it do actually, is it a real need for plants to grow?

Look at my tank & the plants in it, they have been growing extremely well for about a year & a half. No liquid fertilizers added nor CO2, just lighting & lots of fish waste! I guess the plants get their CO2 from the CO2 cycle of the fish breathing.

I have given away many plants as they've overgrown over the year. The frequency is like once a month for plant pruning especially the frogbits (which I've stopped putting). Other plants are cabomba, java ferns / moss & those tall grass-like plants.

But what I do understand is if I have a CO2 addition, I would see bubbles which is pretty! Is that all its for?

2) Next; when I ask fish shop owners that I always need an air stone or else the fish ran out of oxygen for both times when the light is off or on, they will say planted tanks don't need an air stone as the plant supplies the oxygen. It doesn't work with mine, so does it mean I need a CO2?

3) Does anyone know where to get a the red eye sword tail in the middle of the 2nd pic? I got 2 from Jln Kayu but 1 died & the shop has no more of those.

4) May I know the name of the long grass-like plant overgrowing at the front of the 1st pic? I've cleared it in the 2nd pic.

Thanks, hope you can clarify.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1) plant grow need carbon, it can come form CO2 gas or organic compounds (Excell) are the moss common. From your decription, your tank seems to be low tech. How big is your tank and how many watt is your light intensity?

2) Depend on your bioload

4) Vallisneria
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    On the CO2, do take some time to read this, Carbon Dioxide in Planted Freshwater Aquaria by Karen Randall.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hahaha, bro, your plants are healthy and your tank looks great. If your tank has been running for more than a year with this low tech approach and you are happy, why bother going high tech? I am not against high tech, but I bet many can't run their tank as well as you. Pearling is not that important, healthy plant and a happy hobbyist is.

My advise to you is read and research aplenty if you are serious about going high tech. Once you start injecting CO2, you will need different maintenance routine and skills set to run your tank. So, read before you plunge.
    ~Loke

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Having enough surface movement and you would not need an airstone at night. Plants can add some oxygen but being a non-CO2 tank would limit the production since they are already CO2 limited and the only other way you can get oxygen in is via gas exchange at the surface via water movement. (You need this movement whether it is a CO2 or non-CO2 method since fish don't stop breathing as does bacteria.).

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    actually i agree with rwalker, no need to add anything new since you tank is already looking good. No need to repair something that isnt spolit.