Images
    Country
    Singapore

low light planted tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've just setup a low light planted tank. its halfway planted now.
    i've got anubias nanas and barteri in it along with java moss and crypto willinii. could you ppl recommend any other low light plants that i can use?
    i'm going to get java fern soon.
    the tank is 2ft and running on very low lighting 15w.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

low light planted tank.

i've got anubias nanas and barteri in it along with java moss and crypto willinii. could you ppl recommend any other low light plants that i can use?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

low light planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

low light planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Crytos family are low light plant.
    Cheers!

Benetay

but somehow I always keep to my view that these plants are low light but do quite well in high light conditions too. I really wonder if its true that typical low light plants only thrive in low light. my nana (or issit anubias, not sure, those smaller leaved ones) and the crypts I got from benetay, all do quite well in my 72W 20G tank with new leaves growing all the time. when I started out, I had the usual 18W single FL tube light and nanas hardly grew (but never KO either). I"ve a small 5L tank that I use my desk light (I think 11W) and the crypts I transplanted from my main tank (courtesy of benetay) actually bubbled. and this tank has only moss, 1 guppy, zero filtration, zero CO2 injection!

sorry didn't really answer your question, I think you can try the various species in each low light plant family (I think that's bene's point) like crypts got many kinds, moss also got xmass moss, nana got many kinds. Cuz plant families tend to have similar characteristics. I don't know if its true but I"ve always tot that those plants that come attached to driftwood sold in LFS normally are low light and very durable plants. have experiences myself with such plants, fairly indestructible! plus some look quite nice!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe low light plants are tolerant with low light and doesn't die in low light while high light plants may suffer more then the low light plant in a low lighting tank.

For my tanks i never like using low light cos plants doesn't really grow , i interprete low lighting plants be able to grow in low light while they'll thrive in high light.

Low light plants like moss cannot tolerate high temp in your tank, so if u're going to do a low lighting tank be sure not to inject too much CO2 and add 1-2 AC to cool the water down.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi bentay, i dun intend to inject co2 at all.
    wad i have in mind is to get the different types of low light plants,
    crytps, moss, and anubias.
    i have 2 large driftwoods which have barteri attached on them with some crypts at the foreground. i intend to plant the whole foreground with crypts.
    do you think they will survive in a 15w? i've tried higher than that and my anubias developed green spot alage. in fact, my previous nanas had green spot in 15w and very tinted water.
    i'll try to get a pic of what my tank looks like if i manage to get a vidcam.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nana will get green spot under direct light, for good and healthy growth, Co2 injection for me is very impt and i make sure every planted tank i have will have Co2 injection. Co2 is a fert which allows the plants to photosynthesis under light.

Without Co2 your crytos are not going to spread fast enough to cover your tank, if u'll get emerse cryptos i don't think they will transform into the submerse form IMO even it does it will not look as good with CO2 injection. If you think you can't afford another CO2 system then you can at lease DIY CO2 for them. Having CO2 is better than not having .

It's best to plant nana in shaded area well away from direct light source.I have cryptos that grew very low and well under a 150watt MH , i presume low light plants can tolerant low lighting conditions but will do better in high light. low light plants don't perish under high light they even thrive better in high light then in low light. When low light plants are concern i make sure i'll have high light and not forgetting Co2 injection.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ok. look like i've to make another diy co2 for the tank.
    one more thing, there's no base fert under the sand substrate do you think that will be a problem?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I know that E. tenellus can grow under low light. But how low I'm not sure. So can Java ferns.

In low light conditions, you do not have to add liquid fert like what you do with normal planted tanks. Just a bit will keep things going.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If there is no base fert, use root fertisers like root monster, flourish tabs, etc.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Do note that nutrients like fert, light and co2 all work in tandem to give growth, hence all must match in amount, like if no fert, not much light, got lots of co2 also useless, and vice versa for the others, so if you want growth must balance all 3!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hello everyone,

from experience, some low light plants don't really grow very well in high light. eg. my nanas grew very small leaves and attracts spot algae in high light. in low light with good ferts and CO2, they grow healthily.

there's also a post in APD recently about light limiting.
    here it is:
    http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00560.html

hope this helps.

Wahboy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    personally, i find crypts grow better with strong light
    however, they are much more prone to algae
    if your water conditions are balanced for the strong light, there is no good reason that crypts cannot do well in that kind of light
    that said and done, it is a very common sight to see low light plants not doing well in strong light due to bba, green spot etc

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i had some nanas tied to driftwood in my tank and they're spreading all over the driftwood. i'm not home most of the time so the lights are on at irregular intervals. but strangely, my nanas and crypt. wendtii are still doing fine.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.