Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help, shrimps die within 30 mins

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a planted tank with fishes. The tank has some green algae on the wall and rocks so I bought some otos and yamato shrimp to clean it up.

Problem is once I introduced the oto or shrimp into the tank, they swim around like crazy, try to jump the tank and then just turn over and die. All these within 30 minutes of putting them into the tank.

Is it because of lack of oxygen? Or high ammonia/nitrate in the water? I don't have use an aerator, relying instead on the plants to produce oxygen. So far my 50 tetras and 3 loaches are doing fine. I have a 3 foot tank and an external filter.

Please advise.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How do you introduce them to the tank? did you do proper acclimatation?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by greenaqua View Post
    I have a planted tank with fishes. The tank has some green algae on the wall and rocks so I bought some otos and yamato shrimp to clean it up.

Problem is once I introduced the oto or shrimp into the tank, they swim around like crazy, try to jump the tank and then just turn over and die. All these within 30 minutes of putting them into the tank.

Is it because of lack of oxygen? Or high ammonia/nitrate in the water? I don't have use an aerator, relying instead on the plants to produce oxygen. So far my 50 tetras and 3 loaches are doing fine. I have a 3 foot tank and an external filter.

Please advise.
    Next time you introduce sensitive fauna like shrimps, you can try this method at http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=14740

Good luck!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Both oto and shrimps are known to be "more" sensitive than your usual fauna and if you introduce them the same way as you did for your tetras, they will sadly die.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Arrgh, this morning both the SAE that I bought same time as the Yamato shrimp last night also die. I thought it might be low oxygen since I don't use an aerator but leave it to my plants to produce oxygen. However when I put in an air stone to "rescue" them, they also die. So I am suspecting maybe the water condition is the problem.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how old is your setup?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Did you plant any new plants just before introducing the shrimps and fishes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Most like ph dipped or stress

SAE and most type of shrimps are prone to ph problem
    well, most like water condtion my be poor also can result in fatality
    I recently use volcanic sand ( crush from volcanic rock - from jakarta)
    and it works very well especially cherry shrimp as thir colour remains red througout

Please advise.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had the same problem after setting up my tank.
    the first fauna I dropped in were otos and yamato shrimps which swam around in agony before dropping dead an hour later. Managed to save 2 yamatos and 4 otos before they died. Put them in fresh "aged dechlorinated water" which restored them to normal behaviour in minutes

I'm not so sure what was the definitve problem but I can tell you what I did

One problem was the C02 was turned up pretty high - that can drop ph to 5.0 in unbuffered water. Tetras live in acidic waters so they might tolerate it better. Shrimps are from alkaline waters mostly.

I also measured ammonia levels which were present but not high and nitrite levels were negligible.

I turned down the C02 a little, changed water about 25% and floated a bag with the shrimp and otos in the tank to allow them to acclimatise to temperature. (fold down the top of the bag to make a life buoy type )

Bubbling on the plants slowed down.

I dribbled in water in 10-20 mls amounts every hour into the bag. After a while when tank water went in the animals didn't react much which told me they were acclimatised or my water quality was better...

Introduced the animals without incident about 3 -4 days later

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks. I will check for pH and Nitrite/Ammonia. I turned off the CO2 the day before but introduced new plants.

So maybe need to slowly acclimatize the fauna over 1-2 days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I would suggest using the following AQ format, it is difficult to provide definite solutions for indefinite scenerios.

Liquid fertilisers Used: Seachem Excel and Comprehensive
    Fertilization regime:
    Other fertilisers : Ferka (root fert cannot remember name, use all 10 capsules)
    Other additives: None
    Type of Filter: Fuval 304 canister
    When was the filter last washed : Yesterday
    Filter media used : Bio-ring, Biohome, Glass ring.
    When was the media last changed : All new media
    What was changed :Nothing.
    Age of setup : 1 month +
    Water change frequency : 2 weeks ago
    Amount changed :100%
    Water surface movement (None/gentle/turbulent) : gentle
    Circulation (None/gentle/turbulent) :gentle
    Tank Temperature :25C
    Chemical Properties (Fill what you can)
    -------------------------------------
    KH (dKH): 0
    GH (dGH):
    pH :6~6.5
    NH4 (ppm):Not measure
    NO2 (ppm):0.5ppm
    NO3 (ppm):0
    PO4 (ppm):Not measure
    Fe (ppm):Not measure
    Bioload (Number and type of fish and plants) Mostly moss, DW and Ferns. One oto and 20 shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So maybe need to slowly acclimatize the fauna over 1-2 days.
    I drip-acclimatize my local-bought otos at least overnight. Same treatment for imported killifishes (when I was obsessed with them) for two days.

Your casualties more likely a case of TDS* than pH shock.

*a 3-times difference is usually lethal. They will jump as if in hot soup and then do 'torpedo spins' before dying within the hour.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From the look of it... all you need is proper acclimatization

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just did a check...

GH is 120 ppm
    KH is 0 ppm
    pH is 6.5
    Nitrite is 0 ppm
    Nitrate is 160 ppm, guess time to change water...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    160 ppm Nitrate? how do you get that high? did you over dose your fertelizer?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i had the same problem. its due to the high nitrate from your soil. you did not cycle your soil enough therefore, the release of nitrate causes ammonia poisoning for the

more sensitive shrimps. try to add in more plants and wait for a week or two, at the same time increase the flow rate of your filter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    160ppm, you got to be kidding. How heavily planted is your tank to uptake this nutrients ? Since riltz have highlighted, how long have you been cycling your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have been planting new plants and adding pellet minerals to the substrate. Probably disturbing the substrate has stirred up the nitrates in the soil.

The plants have started to take root and grow, will they remove the nitrates over 1-2 days if I maintain a high light and CO2 regime?

The tank/filter has been running for about 6 months and I added a pinch of Biozyme and 2 spoonfulls of bacteria on a monthly basis to the tank.

BTW, does dosing with mineral pellets add nitrates? I thought the pellets should have everything except phosphate and nitrates? My ignorance.
    Better to have a quick water change yah?