Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Pleco Newbie!

Help! Pleco Newbie!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    I'm looking to get few pcs of small sized plecos.
    Just wondering which are the ones that are <6" when full grown. If possible, if you've seen it anywhere, can post the LFS here with the approx price also?

Thanks a million!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    I'm looking to get few pcs of small sized plecos.
    Just wondering which are the ones that are <6" when full grown. If possible, if you've seen it anywhere, can post the LFS here with the approx price also?
    ----------------
    Vican, Check out Ancistrus and Peckoltia species coz' max. ize is < 6 ". will update u if I come across any of the above species, cheers !

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Thanks!

BTW, are black plecos with white spots < 6" ? Saw some at C328 and Petmart that I thought of getting.

What to feed them? Generally, there are some brown algae, greenspot algae and the food that goes in includes market prawns, bloodworms. Do I need to put in cucumbers, algae wafers etc?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    BTW, are black plecos with white spots < 6" ? Saw some at C328 and Petmart that I thought of getting.

What to feed them? Generally, there are some brown algae, greenspot algae and the food that goes in includes market prawns, bloodworms. Do I need to put in cucumbers, algae wafers etc?
    ----------------
    Vican, the black pleco with white spots is either LDA033 or L248, L248 is definitely <6" but LDA033 can grow slightly >6".
    Plecos have different diet, some are Carni, Vege and
    Omni. So the food depends on which species you're keeping. Check out www.planetcatfish.com for more information. Cheers !

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

I always though LDA33 = L248? Anyone to differciate them other than the max size they'll grow to?

Hey, thank!

I like the LDA033 or L248. Maybe pop by C328 or Petmart to get them. Are these 2 carnivores or herbivores?

Do you quarantine the plecos that you buy from C328 or Petmart? Just afraid of them passing disease into the tank[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    I always though LDA33 = L248? Anyone to differciate them other than the max size they'll grow to?
    ----------------
    think LDA033 ( from to view ) the head is boarder and L248 is narrower - quite a big difference in the adult ! cheers !

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    I like the LDA033 or L248. Maybe pop by C328 or Petmart to get them. Are these 2 carnivores or herbivores?

Do you quarantine the plecos that you buy from C328 or Petmart? Just afraid of them passing disease into the tank[]
    ----------------
    Vican, both are Omni. Think u better Q them ! more so if they're wild caught ! Cheers ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

Just got my LDA033

I'm Quarantining it in a plastic tank with a sponge filter.
    But I'm not too sure what antibiotics I can put into the tank.

Are those for Discus ok for plecos?

Pleco very sensitive to medication, I think you can try Melafix!

This pleco has been at Gan's for a week. If I don't put medication, is there any point in Q the fish?

It doesn't seems to be eating algae wafers, market prawn bits or bloodworms. What to try next?

cucumber! My LDA33 loves it! But its quite shy always eat it when i not looking or in the dark!

so far, I think my L033 hasn't eaten at all. I've tried bloodworms, market prawns, cucumber, algae wafers.
    But it is pooping out normal black poop though. Just afraid that that is its food store only.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    vican, what do you keep your LDA033 with? can it be eating during the nights, so you didn't see? or has food been left untouched overnight?

majority of my plecos were from gan or C328 (gan's too), i've never quarantined them (lazy) and all's still well. (have had 2 casulties, both bought from another farm...)

anyway, better watch your LDA033. do you see a sunken tummy?

my snowball goes for the veg i've tried before (cucumber, romaine lettuce and potato), sinking tablets, but is most active (it's hidding most of the time, but can still be spotted) when there're frozen bloodworms.

hope this helps. keep us informed.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Well, my snowball is from Gan's. He chose it himself and was kind enough to show me that the stomach of this pleco is not sunkened at all.

So far, I've seen that food is left behind in it's tank.
    I'm using a 1' plastic tank with 1 sponge filter running inside to try to quarantine the fish for a week or so.

I intend to put it into my 5' tank, where there are 6 other clown loaches and 5 SAEs and 6 otos. If it's so shy, I'm afraid that it can't get food from the rest of the fish.

Also, there is a 10" arowana in the tank. But this aro doesn't eat fishes. Time tested.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well, my snowball didn't understand the word 'shy' when i first got him home. i kept it with my corys & tetras then, and the only other pleco was a L200. it's first at the slice of cucumber and worst, it went round and started digging and sent the gravel flying! it's only now that it's with the other plecos and lots of hidding places given that it's a bit more 'quiet', during the day at least.[:]

(i'm no expert, but just trying to share experiences here.) i can only think that your snowball is shy if your q tank only has a filter... no hidding places/plants/driftwood? maybe the environment has something to do with it. is it like pretty exposed now? stress? just to be sure, i personally will put a few frozen bloodworms (count how many ) before bedtime and see what happens next morning...

actually, i may also decide to just put it into its 'real' home after that... [:] if it's been eating at gan's, i can only think it's environmental now...
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    i can only think that your snowball is shy if your q tank only has a filter... no hidding places/plants/driftwood? maybe the environment has something to do with it. is it like pretty exposed now? stress? i can only think it's environmental now...
    ----------------
    Flor ! " Spot on ! ! " it's the environment ! the poor chap is stress up coz' no hiding place ! think better drop in a drift wood ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

I've just put it into my big tank, should have enough hiding places for it. As I was cleaning out the Q tank, noticed that a thin slice of cucumber that I had put in yesterday only left the circumference 'skin'. Guess it did eat when it was dark and quiet.

At least in my big tank, there's algae. Just hope that the clown loaches leave enough food for it. Maybe I should drop in cucumber everyday...

I tried to take some pictures, but it seems camera shy and keeps hiding behind the vals. But the color is nice and black and extremely contrasting white spots, guess it feels OK now

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    allen-pleco-king! now then you 'come out'! [:0] []

anyway, thanks for your assurance, cos i was afraid to have given any misleading advices! [:]

vican, i'll actually suggest that you put something in that your snowball can hide behind/under. it can then call this 'home'. for example, i've these porceline green bridges that some of my plecos like to hang outside down under it. or a piece of driftwood, near where it likes to hang around. it's also be easier if you want to concentrate on feeding it anytime in future.

snowballs are omni, so algae (if enough!) and cucumber is not enough. you may like to keep an eye on its eating habits these couple of days.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    allen-pleco-king! now then you 'come out'! [:0] []
    anyway, thanks for your assurance, cos i was afraid to have given any misleading advices! [:]

snowballs are omni, so algae (if enough!) and cucumber is not enough. you may like to keep an eye on its eating habits these couple of days.
    ----------------
    Flor ! I have confident in you lah ! coz' you're getting better ( pleco knowledge ) each day ! []

Vican, flor is right ! if your tank is planted, think you better keep " both watchful eyes " on him ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast