Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help Needed! driftwood Leaking Tannin

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, i just did a 50% water-change on my 1.3L tank ytd yesterday and added a newly bought DW inside...do notice the water becoming a sight-yellowish colour...

1) Is it harmful to the fishes and plants inside? I heard it is acidic?

2) I soaked it in water before putting it inside....so far all my fishes are okay and feeding well....my PH meter stands around a medium blue...so i guess it should be about 7.2

please do advice...
    Last edited by bossteck; 26th Apr 2008 at 20:19. Reason: sms lingo
    I love my fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What fishes do you keep?

Most commonly kept fishes usually are tolerant or even do better in acidic water, though some (such as guppies, rift valley cichlids and brackish water fishes) prefer alkali pH.

Anyhow, a pH of 7.2 is neutral-slight alkali.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i keep runnie nose, priscilla, glowlight, headtail light tetras, pencilfish, paraquay tetras....otos, yamato, and a bristlenose pleco....
    I love my fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Those listed by you should be fine in a slight acidic water.
    WaterH2O
    <Fish are Friends, not food>

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    okay....now i suffer a casualty...my bristlenose pleco died.....the orange color type....will monitor the situation
    I love my fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm.. a 1.3L tank? the size seems a little too small to be real

anyhow... water conditions in small tanks are relatively difficult to maintain.. the 50&#37; water change might have been too drastic for the fish to take, maybe? also there seem to be a lot of livestock in the tank..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not 1.3L...its a 1.3 Feet tank.....almost 40L i beg to differ......all my livestock are doing well....except my pleco died.....otos n yamato still healthy
    I love my fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha thought so... 1.3L was a bit of an eyebrow-raiser.

hmm. then the death probably wasn't due to the dw i think

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    There are some steps in treating newly bought dw before placing them into tanks. This involves helping the dw leech out its tanin and other impurities. I soak mine in bleach -> hotwater ->dechlorinated water for about a week before dropping them into my tanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro you have about 9 species of fishes in your 1.3feet tank. Some of them requires to be in a min schooling quantity. So total no of fishes in your tank is how many?
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterH2O View Post
    Bro you have about 9 species of fishes in your 1.3feet tank. Some of them requires to be in a min schooling quantity. So total no of fishes in your tank is how many?
    well both my cherries died...and a cory also....weird thing is that my yamato and otos are still healthy....it have been a case in the past that whenever i add otos or yamatos they willl die the next day...but this situation nvr arise anymore le....now total death is 2 cherries, 1 bristlenose pleco and my cory....haiz....

just did a 1/3 water change again....must i get some fungi medication?

i notice that my fishes always seem to have a bloated belly....and when they die....i can see their bellies are like "exploded"....is it a kind of bacteria infection ?

lastly i now have 8 golden pencilfish, 2 otos, 1 yamato, 1 priscilla, 4 headlight tetras, 3 glowlights tetras and 10 cardinals...

i am not sure hw many would be a good schling quantity though...

please kindly advice bros....much appreciated here
    I love my fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro

Kind of pushing the limits on livestock in the tank. Schooling fish needs around min 6 per species ( not a rock casted rule but generally) I doubt you can add more fish in there.
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    shadyfish,
    if i recalled you had a similar problem with fishes dying back in Jan? Did you follow our method of aclimating fishes in the tanks they are going to live in or did you aclimate them in a separate tank with the same temp and PH ??

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    the bloated belly means that they have internal parasites, its hard to tell, but that is usally the case, the lfs should have medication for that, as for the driftwood i would take it out and soak it in 10&#37;bleach+90%water for 1 days, clean and scrub wood then 5%bleach+95%water for 1 more day, then clean and scrub wood,then soak in water{chlorinated-unchlorined doesn't matter}for 3 to five days. the bleach and water mixture is to get rid of the parasites and is for planted tanks with no livestock. But some of your fishes are sensitive to bleach so i suggust u just soak it in chlorinated water for 7 days that should kill all the parasites.