Images
    Country
    Singapore

My Apisto agassizii problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got a pair of A. agassizii "red-gold" about 2 weeks ago. So far, I have problem with the male fish.

The male fish seemed to be very picky on food. So far, I have tried granular food, frozen bloodworm, frozen mysis shrimp and live brine shrimp. The female fish will eat all type of food. The male fish is only responding to the live brine shrimp, but is not eating as much as the female.

A few days ago, the male fish is starting to hide from the female. The male fish keep hiding in the hole in the driftwood or under the E. ozelot. I have ran out of live brine shrimp for the past few days. Now the male fish look so lean that I worried that he may not last long. The female on the other hand is very active. She always try to go near the male, but the male keep chasing her away or run away from her.

Any advice from experienced apisto keepers out there.

Another question: is there any difference in the female A. agassizii from the differ color strain? They look all the same to me.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for my experience, all my apisto accepts bw readily without any probs.. perharps there is something wrong with the male..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had a similar xperience wif my male. 2 cut a long story short, it has dropsy. Seeing an adult agas has dropsy, wif all the scales popping out still make my hair stand. Suspected it has been 2 days until I discovered it's condition n now I am worried it would spread 2 my onli adult eli.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bclee, r u willing to try another female? I got one single red gold female if u want... I supposed some males r just too timid/shy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sigh[] ... The fish jumped last night... so sad.

I guess it was really intimidated by the female fish. When the male fish got cornered by the female, it acted very agitated. Maybe that's why it jumped.[]

Is it because the female is too agressive? I do not want to lose another apisto when I try to get another one next week.

Thanks for the advice.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have read that if the female is yellow, it is ready to spawn. Mine is yellow. Does that explain the behavoir?

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bclee, how big is yr tank btw?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The apisto is in my 2ft tank.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The male is not ready? Wonder if the female is trying to rape the male..LOL [] Anyway..so sorry that you have lost the male.. Maybe next time you should beef up your male by giving good food to it before attempting to breed.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    really sorry u lost your male...feel really bad for u..better luck next time..[] since now its the rainy season and all,hope the next male you get will readily spawn with ure female...i just wish my female wouldn't be so dark/black and that the male would stop harassing her...maybe he's just angry at her for not taking care of the eggs/fry cos all died after 2 days of hatching. but tt was 3 weeks ago...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bclee,is the tank planted? u got enuff hiding places for them? r there dither fishes? its norm for the female we get aggressive during/after laying her eggs... during this period, she will be the boss ard the tank. but it really depends on the character of the male agassizii. Not everytime u see the female do the chasing, sometimes its the other way ard. quite problematic if I may say so myself

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The tank is quite heavily planted. The male was hiding quite comfortably in the driftwood under the E. Ozelot until the female invaded his territory. I guess the male was just over stressed by the "horny" female.[]

I guess I will try to get another male again next week. I will look for a strong one.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my offer still stand, if u like to try my female..

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 11/25/2002 3:46:25 PM

The tank is quite heavily planted. The male was hiding quite comfortably in the driftwood under the E. Ozelot until the female invaded his territory. I guess the male was just over stressed by the "horny" female.[]

I guess I will try to get another male again next week. I will look for a strong one.

BC
    ----------------
    I also encounter the same problem. Male one also in fishy heaven now. Initially the male was chasing the female all over the place, I was pretty sure she would die soon, then suddenly the male started hiding, became picky about food, soon he stopped eating and then died. The female then began swimming around the tank, she eats all kinds of food, occasionally whacking a few of my malayan shrimps. I'm wondering why the sudden change. Didn't notice any bloating etc. Sigh....

Feedback Score
    Like to add, this is my 2nd try at apistos, quite demoralising when other AQ members are breeding apistos, while I can't even keep one alive []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    scooby, dun worry, most of us had experience it too.. I had a macmasteri male twice the size of the female but still died from stress when the female was in breeding mood and chased him 24/7

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/25/2002 4:26:03 PM

my offer still stand, if u like to try my female..
    ----------------
    Thanks for the offer, Simon.

I think I have another go with a new male and the current female. If the female is still stressing the male, I will probably move her out temporarily until the male establish his territory. Hope that this new plan work.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you will like to try easier species like the cockatoo which is relatively problem free =)[]
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    I've got the opposite problem to yours, my female Juruensis is yellow but is always hiding in the inverted pot. She even try to seal the entrance with the fine gravel and seldom comes out. If she does, the male would start chasing and hitting at her, he's always prowling and waiting desperately outside her hiding spot. Hmm, not to sure when can they reconcile and start breeding

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    danny, remove the male first.. when the female is ready then reintro the male

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast