Country
    Singapore

DIY CO2 help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Hoe,
    I'm a newbie in planted tank, noticed that you are using DIY CO2, may you share with me your method of doing it?
    Because from many ang moh's website, they mentioned 2 cups of sugar to half-teaspoon of yeast, but how big is the cup, they never say.....
    So i tried but without success, so need your help. If it's working it should have tiny bubbles from the air-stone, right?

If i am using those 1.5 litres Coke bottle, half-teaspoon of yeast, then how much sugar?
    Then water is it 3/4 of the bottle?

Thank you very much, have a nice day

Fugo_88

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fugo_88,
    Hope you dont mind me posting your pm in the forum...its good to let everybody see, thats what sharing is about.

ok to answer your question:
    Dont worry 2 cup is equal to exactly how much sugar. It does not matter so much.
    How I do it? Very simple...I did not use cups. I added sugar bit by bit and taste it. When it turned very sweet (now dont ask me what is defined as very sweet!) that means the sugar is close to saturation and I stop adding. The other way way is to add until no more sugar dissolve. The amount of sugar in the water will affect the duration of co2 production, that all.

The important thing is the yeast added. That will affect the rate of co2 produced. When I first started DIY I added 2 teaspoon of yeast and a lot of bubbles (4 bubbles/s) came out....too much. 1/2 teaspoon is good which will give you about 1 bubble/ 3 s. It works very well for me. My plants grew so well after 2 months that I dont need it Co2 anymore.
    Give it a shake every few days to mix the yeast.
    Use 1/2 filled water cause the sugar will add about 1/4 volume to it. You should get bubbles within 3 hours.
    Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Hoe; 28th Apr 2008 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up

Hi Hoe,
    Many thanks to you & other bros here...
    Finally i got it fix, after adding more sugar to feed the yeast....

Thanks