Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

A Question About This Section

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I was kind of shocked and find this part of your forum rather curious. In all of the forums I am a member of{alot} some of the posts put here would be kept private for only moderators and administration to see and discuss. What purpose does it serve to put people's mistakes and past transgressions on display in such a manner? Wouldn't you think most of them are most likely just young people? Are these members given warnings?{I have found that many times a good explanation of proper behavour can turn a person around}
    What if they realize their mistake, are sorry, and want to make it right? Wouldn't it be too embarassing after being put on display for all to see and mock? I don't think one of us is beyond making mistakes, and it's easy to be brave behind the guise of a keyboard. Or stupid...whichever happens first..
    Just some thoughts...I find it very interesting and wondered why you do it?
    Last edited by waterfaller1; 26th Jun 2008 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Waterfaller1,

Apologies for the late approval and reply to this thread.

We do handle many, many cases behind the scenes, via private messaging, email and sometimes, where warranted, we even call to explain and discuss matters. And you are right that often these matters are settled quietly that way. Sometimes we even delete the offending posts so that the member can continue with a clean slate.

We only publicise cases where we feel it is important for the members to be aware of. For example, when we feel that there is a threat of cheating or bad faith.

In other cases, the offending member is unrepentant, persists in offensive behaviour and actually bring matters in to public view themselves. In such cases, we have no choice but to respond publicly. This was the case for the last 2 major 'public hangings'. Metaphorically, those 2 members bought their own rope and built their own gallows. (In one of these cases, the member could not post on the forum so he proceeded to PM and email his complaints to other members.)

In all cases, we prefer to handle matters quietly behind the scenes.
    Last edited by vinz; 26th Jun 2008 at 09:52.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Thank you for the reply Vincent. I understand about relentless posters, somehow some think they have some sort of 'right', don't they? In fact, perhaps your method may be effective in preventing some from even considering such nonsense.I was really more curious, as it was the first time I had ever seen this done. It certainly lets people know you won't tolerate offensive posts. Good job!
    smile~ Carole

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
    Thank you for the reply Vincent. I understand about relentless posters, somehow some think they have some sort of 'right', don't they? In fact, perhaps your method may be effective in preventing some from even considering such nonsense.I was really more curious, as it was the first time I had ever seen this done. It certainly lets people know you won't tolerate offensive posts. Good job!

I guess this is a very Singaporean way of doing things. This web site requires tremendous resources to run and maintain (a.k.a money) and it's only fair that all abine the rules and civilities as to make this place pleasant for everyone. You know... how things go wrong when a slavo is fired, then all come to add ammo and things go haywire, just like in real harsh daily lives.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I guess this is a very Singaporean way of doing things.
    I totally agree. Just like the ruling party. Efficiency. Order. And an obsession of keeping things under control. We like it here this way!
    AquaticRemainder

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I love too. It's so safe in Singapore compared to, say Bangkok or some European cities. But there it is more freedom. If only.... there is a selector switch to have some times control and some day freedom, best of both world.

The ruling party and all the things implemented can only be good if the economy keeps growing.

I dat a bit worry next year when world outlook not rosy and then a lot of things will be challanged by people. ERP, housing policies, foreign talents, education etc.. a long list