Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: DIY breeding tank?

DIY breeding tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Thought of DIYing my breeding tank for my molly.

Bought a 1 litre plastic tank selling at petmart for $1.50, cut away the base. Then add netting (with big holes of around 5mm) so that the fries will drop pass the net while the mother fish stay on top and cannot pass thru.

This tank will be immerse on top of another bigger tank. The mother fish will be left in the 1 litre tank with the netting. New born flies will drop down into the big tank.

Do you think this will work? Did one last night but no chance to try it out yet.

Why don't just buy the breeding tanks that float inside you tank? Probably costs $2-3 only?

where can I get one? Not that I wanna save but no time to go around hunting for one

Seems workable, why not? but pretty big, looks like you can contain even more.

But actually, why don't you buy those plastic bowls, you know those with plenty of slits that our moms use to wash vegetables.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Nowadays, a lot of shops also carry. I think Serangoon North and C328 sure to have.

actually I bought one from the shop in parkway parade quite sometime back. This breeding tank has fine netting all around but the problem with this is that the netting holes are too way and the flies will not drop out of the net.

I will go hunt again.

Nowadays, there are lots of plastic ones with built in floats at the side. There are slits and holes at the bottom so that the frys can drop out. But if your DIY breeding trap works for you, no point going to look for the actual thing right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    c328 had some breeding traps for sale. it's a hanging clear container in the tank with a V-type centerpiece to let the baby mollies slide down to safety. there's another one with a grid. but i think the v-type one is the best. costs around $7 i think.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

this C328 sure got a lot of lobang, I will go there one day grab all the goodies there

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ahaha, yea c328 has alot of equipment and stuff, but not everything that is. its the nearest fully-stocked lfs to me so i usually go there anyway. but apart from that i'm sad to say that their tropical fishes are getting lesser and lesser.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.