Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    heh
    ok, let's get a few things sorted out, shall we?

oxidation of iron in planted tanks is a real issue
    which is exactly why we normally use gluconic/edta chelates to stabilise them in the +2 oxidation state
    thus the oxygen factor is not going to be a reason for iron dosing in the morning

as for phosphates
    you're not considering nutrient balance
    there are any number of tanks out there which are limited by either N, P, K, iron, or trace elements
    that's why we cannot say that any one of them will cause algae
    as for those 'gurus'
    yeah, ok, whatever works for them
    but fact is, if you NEED to add phosphate because your tank is deficient in it, you should
    some plants will show signs of phosphate deficiency
    toshi should know more about this
    and as for someone advocating phosphate addition
    ever heard of tom barr?
    ymmv, of course, but just to let you know, allen's not wrong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm sorry you disagree so strongly zerocool, but there are people who dose phosphates... Just the other day I was clarifying with toshi on why he dosed phosphates...

Having phosphates in your tank is generally accepted to lead up to a algae bloom. However it is not always the case. Never generalize. Phosphorus IS a macro nutrient and is considered necessary for plant growth. However most aquarist advise dosing phosphates because we can get that from the fish food. However in the cases of light fish loads, and heavy planting, you may very well have to dose phosphates to ensure healthy plant growth.

So lets clarify something...

1. I NEVER said to dose phosphates
    2. I SAID that care should be taken when dosing phosphates
    3. You are wrong to say dosing phosphate will definitely cause an algae bloom
    4. Phosphate dosing under certain circumstances is necessary.
    5. Many aquarist regularly add phosphates in the form of jobes sticks and horti tabs. Given, the reason they add this is not for the phosphates. However, they ARE adding phosphates, and I don't see people screaming of algae blooms.

As for dosing iron before the lights come on, well it may help prevent the level of iron oxidation, but I seriously wonder about the level of Fe2 absorbtion when photosynthesis is not in full swing.

All in all zerocool, you have taken a general rule of thumb (albeit a good one) and made it a law.... doing a planted tank is part science part art... don't be too rigid.

Finally, now that I've cooled down a bit... please also be aware of your tone. Your previous message was very condescending... and to be honest I took great offense at it. However, I take it in a spirit of learning and accept that I don't know everything. I hope that you take my reply in a similar spirit and learn as well.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey, relax lah, got read my last sentence?

I too use fert sticks, but "we" dun have the intention to dose phosphrus, but its just there in the stick.

Maybe i too harsh liao, so sorry.

But after reading yr post,it was really like asking them to dose phosphrus.

phosphate and phosphrus is just diff composition of the same element. something like Fe2 and Fe3. or nitrate and nitrite

I agree feeding has some phosphros in it, and tt should be enough less yr planting is realy realy heavy in a big tank.

IMO, most tanks less then 3 feet will have sufficient phosphros through feeding and their fert sticks. so additional is not a good idea.

And

Anyway, I never say Allen_1971 was wrong, just off the scale. If you think i said he was wrong, i'm sorry. Becos there are are of newbies [or so may i call them], you didn't really state amt or dosing criteria/directions to follow. Then they come back asking y they have algae bloom....

Sorry to have cause any conflict, just found yr posting kinda misleading.
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    zerocool, I did see your last sentence. But its kinda like hitting someone in the face and then saying "sorry". anyway, lets just forget it.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it's just a simple misunderstanding, zerocool
    u overreacted to what u perceived as a misleading post by allen, is all
    all's well that ends well though

you might want to check up on the APD archives and look for tom barr's posts on phosphate addition
    there are plenty of people out there who do add it, but that is when they know what they're doing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Zerocool,

Is there a reason you are called "Zero Cool"?

Anyway, I don't think anybody here intentionally misleads anyone. If you think somebody's post is erroraneous or misleading, please give the benefit of doubt that the person is misinformed or that perhaps they know something you don't. Ask, clarify, explain. No need to be harsh. Yes, we saw the last sentence... but if you know you were harsh, go back and edit your message.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes i do dose phosphorus to my tank
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i seriously think that no one in their right mind will dose phosphorus to their tanks
    try phosphate

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    muhahaha... dun worry benetay we all know what you mean... DEA trying to be naughty
    Allen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12