Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help! My Neon Tetras are slowly dying off...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Help! My Neon Tetras are slowly dying off...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, as above, don't know what went wrong... Came back today & found another deceased... Yesterday saw & quarantined 1 that has protruding scales (but not fallen off from its body yet...), bulging eyes & somehow looked like swollen forehead to me... [Sorry, but unable to take any pics...]

Today, saw another sickly one swimming around also... Any possible reasons?

Tank: 23cm X 15cm X 18cm (Oceanfree tank)
    Filter: Hang-on filter
    Lighting: 7W PL light
    Flora: Nana on driftwood, newly added hairgrass & some duckweeds (I think so), Java moss, Wisteria (leaves browning & melting...)
    Fauna: Originally 10 Cherries (all by now...), 20 neon tetras (now left 14 pcs), 2 otos, 1 unknown snail...
    CO2: Seachem Flourish Excel (recently started only...)

Hope to get some suggestions so as to stop these losses fast... Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Protruding scales??

may be internal parasite..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    sounds like your tetra has "dropsy". A condition leaving the tetra bloated. There are available medication to treat dropsy.. available at most LFS.

How is your water change schedule like ?

Apart from the carbon source from Excel, you do need macro and micro nutrients for your plants to grow well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    My advice is to remove all fishes from the tank and re-locate them to a hospital tank, add salts with strong air aeration to cure them...
    Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Is this the same tank you setup in mid apr? the one where we had to ID the plant for you?

Guess no one who posted pointed out to you that a 3 weeks cycled tank with about 9L in volume will have difficulty keeping =
    10 Cherries
    20 neon tetras
    2 otos
    1snail

Sorry bro, take it as tution fees. My tank 20x20x20, cycled for 3 months only have 3 boraras and 2 snail.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Is this the same tank you setup in mid apr? the one where we had to ID the plant for you?

Guess no one who posted pointed out to you that a 3 weeks cycled tank with about 9L in volume will have difficulty keeping =
    10 Cherries
    20 neon tetras
    2 otos
    1snail

Sorry bro, take it as tution fees. My tank 20x20x20, cycled for 3 months only have 3 boraras and 2 snail.
    Thanks torque6 & yup, it's one of the NANO tank that I'd set up with the plant ID & sad to admit & realise that after a good chat with one super friendly & helpful forumer (Bybloz ) in here just now... Think the problem was due mainly to 'Ammonia Spike' (actually this term is another BIG term to me again...)

Actually don't mind the 'tuition fees' paid... but very 'heartpain' for the loss of lives for my 10 Cherries (few with eggs already spotted) & the 5 Neon Tetras that I'd lost in this terrible & painful lesson...

Now will have to 'diversify' my remaining livestocks (about 15 Neon Tetras, 2 Otos & 1 hardworking unknown snail...) in the NANO tank into the new tanks that I'll be getting from Bybloz ASAP...

{Killing with intention is MURDER; Killing without intention & knowledge is MANSLAUGHTER!!} To me, it is still very 'Zhek Arh'... May the 10 Cherries & 5 Neon Tetras go to Heaven in their afterlives...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Salphur View Post
    Hi,
    sounds like your tetra has "dropsy". A condition leaving the tetra bloated. There are available medication to treat dropsy.. available at most LFS.

How is your water change schedule like ?

Apart from the carbon source from Excel, you do need macro and micro nutrients for your plants to grow well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
    Thanks Salphur,

WC schedule is about 30% every week with left overnight water treated with Anti-chlorine but neglecting the aspects of Chloramines in the water... Hence will be investing in a bottle of Seachem PRIME (Thanks to Bro Bybloz!!!) soon...

Will read up on the use of Macro & Micro for plant growth & development later on the web... [The only time I had seen these 2 terms was when I did Economics during my days of studies... ]

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi beetlejuice,

you're most welcome! I learnt all these macro, micro from the forummers here as well. Hope everything turns out well for your tank, i guess most of us learn things the hard way... Most importantly enjoy the learning process.

I think your WC seems alright, maybe need to be more frequent if you have high bioload.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The bioload is rather on the high side. For a tank that size, I would suggest no more than 10 fish maximum.

The neon tetras actually need plenty of space to swim, so holding them in limited space will only serve to stress them, and this will subject them to vulnerability of illness.

And with overstocking, you have to keep up with ensuring good water conditions, otherwise you will potentially get all this type of outbreaks once water conditions deteriorate.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Out of a batch of 50 neon tetras, i only have one left after half a year. They all grew and looked pretty OK. I never saw a single body although once i had seen one sickly individual. They just became fewer and fewer in numbers over time. Couldn't even tell initially but as the numbers diminishes, i can count them. The other inhabitants include a pair of tiger lobster,a pleco, apair of red eye tetra, some ghost shrimps and another species of small tetra. i think it is either some kind of slow acting diesase or the lobsters having night snacks. Any one has similar experiences?

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Ok for a tank that size tha tis wayyyyy to many fish is it not? 23cm long by 15 wide and 18 deep? With 20 tetras, plus others.

Wayyyy over stocked mate, seriously cut down on the number you have no wonder there dieing off, due to stress, and not enough oxygen i would have thought.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrafreak View Post
    Out of a batch of 50 neon tetras, i only have one left after half a year. They all grew and looked pretty OK. I never saw a single body although once i had seen one sickly individual. They just became fewer and fewer in numbers over time. Couldn't even tell initially but as the numbers diminishes, i can count them. The other inhabitants include a pair of tiger lobster,a pleco, apair of red eye tetra, some ghost shrimps and another species of small tetra. i think it is either some kind of slow acting diesase or the lobsters having night snacks. Any one has similar experiences?
    my best bet is on your lobster having late night snacks...lol...its an expensive one too...
    I love my fishes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice403 View Post
    Thanks torque6 & yup, it's one of the NANO tank that I'd set up with the plant ID & sad to admit & realise that after a good chat with one super friendly & helpful forumer (Bybloz ) in here just now... Think the problem was due mainly to 'Ammonia Spike' (actually this term is another BIG term to me again...)

Actually don't mind the 'tuition fees' paid... but very 'heartpain' for the loss of lives for my 10 Cherries (few with eggs already spotted) & the 5 Neon Tetras that I'd lost in this terrible & painful lesson...

Now will have to 'diversify' my remaining livestocks (about 15 Neon Tetras, 2 Otos & 1 hardworking unknown snail...) in the NANO tank into the new tanks that I'll be getting from Bybloz ASAP...

{Killing with intention is MURDER; Killing without intention & knowledge is MANSLAUGHTER!!} To me, it is still very 'Zhek Arh'... May the 10 Cherries & 5 Neon Tetras go to Heaven in their afterlives...
    agree, hard pain, eventhough it cost little to replace them. im having similar problems now too, as my boraras are dying as well. Lost 1 last night, maybe the other 2 tomorrow. Maybe the truth is small tank just dont have the stablity of keep fishes for more than 1 month. I cant seem to get pass the 4-6 weeks timeframe except for snails. Im waiting for some helpful insights from the rest of the guys now. If its agreeable that my critical error is my small tank, then i will stop keeping fish/shrimps all together.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Another 2 victims (Neon Tetras) found today... 1 in my currently cramped Nano tank, the other in my quarantined tank (saved too late...)

Any bro here can tell me how to rescue the remaining 10+ Neon Tetras, 2 otos & 1 unknown snail in my tank? Have empty tanks, but don't know if I should seperate the fishes as I'd yet to cycle the tank water & does not have a suitable filter yet...

Thinking of letting them put up in my 2-feet tank (5 Blood Parrots & 1 albino pleco) 1st, but afraid that their "8-characters" may clash - then to find even more deceased Neon Tetras...

[Pulling hair out!!! ] How?! Thanks for all advises!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe u can take half of the current tank water, plus another half new water, and put into a new tank. Then take some of the media from the current filter and put inside the new filter. Can also use those ready Beneficial bacteria to help improve BB count. Hope that helps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Since you already have an existing pleco tank, use some of those media and set up a 2FT bare tank but some plants. Remember to re aclimate to avoid shocking them, for this type of case i will pour existing water into bag, put fish into bag. place bag in new setup tank, use syringe and add about 20-50ml of new setup tank water into bag in intervals of 30mins. Let bag soak for at least 3-4 hours before releasing fish. No need to pour bag water into tank, just net the fishes into the tank.

Here you have to monitor water parameters, some plants dies immediately and leech nitrite into the waters so have to take note. Make sure new water is highly oxgenated.