Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Discus, what is compatible with it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Discus, what is compatible with it?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm thinking of starting a 4ft tank with discus as the main theme fish. Others I'm considering to include are:
    cardinal tetras
    rummynose tetras
    corys
    cherry/malayan/yamato shrimps.

Plants:
    riccia
    christmas/java moss
    other plants

I'm kinda worried about the compatibility. To grow moss well, temp is preferable to be around 26-27 degrees as the max. Will this pose problems for the discus as I understand it needs fairly warm temp? Also, will the discus attack the shrimps (especially) and other fish?

Cheers
    Boon Yong[]
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For shrimp, maybe big yamato will be ok, my discus wipe out 100 malayan within 3 days after i introduce the malayan to control some alage. Rummynose and cadinal is ok i have about 100 cadinal with my discus.
    Danny Chng

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Riccia is light loving, but the discus do not quite like bright lights. Unless you're gonna allow the riccia to float around and cover the top part and filter out the lights....

As for the mix, if you start keeping the discus when they are small and they have gotten used to a feed of dry food/tubifex/etc, they should not attempt to feed on the shrimps.

The rest are ok....I've been keeping my 5in discus for about a year, bought it when it was about 2 1/2in. And it has left my corys, rummynose, cardinals, glowlights, yamato and malayan shrimps alone......

So it's a matter of training and getting it used to other foods...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    if i put discus into a bichir tank will anything happen ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2002 12:12:11 PM

Riccia is light loving, but the discus do not quite like bright lights. Unless you're gonna allow the riccia to float around and cover the top part and filter out the lights....
    ----------------
    Can I ask what is the level of lights you're using now? I was recommended to use at least 3W per US Gallon for riccia. Is this considered as too strong for discus? Also, is this applicable to all discus, regardless of their strains?
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,

Can Discus be kept alone ? Saw some juvenile and pretty nice discus at Tiogn Bahru and really tempted to buy but I only have a 2 ft x 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft planted tank with about 7 cardinals, 4 rummy, 1 sae and 2 flying foxes.

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Discus should be kept in a group. Also to keep discus, tall plants should be available for them to hide when they get scared.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hybrid will be more adaptive to strong lights.. but avoid having high maintenance plant which requires regularly trimming, but once they get used to u.. u should be able to grow those without frightening them. remember when do any trimming, make sure yr discus knows where u are and slowly place yr hands into the water. when they get used to seeing yr hands, they will sometimes they would be curious to see what you are doing

discus are gentle giants and is usually peaceful with other community fishes, unless they are breeding.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2002 12:59:05 PM

if i put discus into a bichir tank will anything happen ?
    ----------------

It is fine i have mine with an ornate and senegal
    Fauna: 14 Rummy Nose, 6 Black Tetra, 3 Otos, 1 Bronze Corys, 1 Cigar Fish, 3 Neon Tetra, 5 Black Widow Tetra, 1 mini puffer