Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Securing 'sandwich' of moss between plastic mesh

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi, have seen a wall moss in the back of someone's tank (?) which's actually moss sandwiched between 2 pcs of plastic mesh.

can someone teach me what's been used to secure the plastic mesh together so that the moss in between doesn't move around? and finally, the whole setup is fixed to the back of the tank.

ta!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For me, I used suction cups, pushed into the holes of the mesh then stuck the mesh onto the back of the tank.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you can also use cable tie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks to both of you!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can visit timebomb's homepage. think there's a page which tells you step by step with pictures.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Coryfav,

To hold the 2 pieces of mesh together, you can also simply use fishing line to tie them along the edges. My wife uses a needle and "sews" the moss wall together for me. As for the suction cups, place them only along the top of the wall. In other words, hang the moss wall. Use Eheim suction cups as they are the best. If you stick the wall on all sides to the back of the tank, eventually some of the cups will come loose and the wall becomes a death trap for fishes. I know my website teaches people to stick the suction cups all over the wall but that was in the old days when I didn't know better.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the direction, lorba.

timebomb, that's exactly what i was just thinking awhile ago - fish trap! so, if we just 'hang' the moss wall onto the back of the tank, fishes can come and go as they please? bingo!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys as for the mesh.. must there be a certain kind of size of the holes on the mesh??? or any size will do? cause i have seen meshes with different hole sizes and not sure which size to get so that it grows perfectly..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys as for the mesh.. must there be a certain kind of size of the holes on the mesh???
    ----------------
    I've used meshes with different size holes and they all worked just as well. Some holes, however, are too small to push the suction cups through but that isn't a big problem. I make small cuts on the mesh to widen the holes where I push the cups through.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    where can i get ehiem suction cups?? maybe i get them first then find a mesh that enables the suction cups to fit in..
    most importantly.. how much does it cost lol.. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    where can i get ehiem suction cups?? maybe i get them first then find a mesh that enables the suction cups to fit in..
    ----------------
    Alamak, the suction cups are available in almost every fish shop. The Eheim ones are a dollar each, expensive but good. As for the mesh, there's a shop along Bencoolen Street somewhere opposite Veerasamy Road that sells all sorts of fences. They have plastic mesh in different sizes.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wah mr lorba lorba u Commando sia! must be a black panther rite. when u ROD?

me a Makando, scorpion force on top of the hill. pink panther is Oscar Charlie. one shot one kill vocation.

For Honour n Glory!!!!!!!!! Cheers.......
    Koh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    got a question! if u put the suction cups.. would it protude and be visible on the other side???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i do think so, especially if the moss isn't growing well.

Timebomb, why didn't YOU think of that?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Timebomb, why didn't YOU think of that?
    ----------------
    Aiyoh, what I never thought of is the kind of questions that people ask []

The Eheim suction cups won't be seen from the other side even if the moss wall isn't growing well because the hooks will be removed. You only use the rubber.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    timebomb, i used cable ties to tie the mesh together. i got the smallest black ones on my black mesh, so they're not obvious.

thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haizz i just went to a nearby hardware shop they have plastic meshes but he dont sell pieces of it.. they sell the whole roll.. anyone bought meshes before? care to tell me its address pls...

oh yes, the other time i saw GenX uses undergravel filter plates for the msos wall.. anyone tried it yet?? wish to know if the effect is the same as plastic meshes
    thanks all

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought mine from IMM...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have tried using the undergravel to tie moss before, i must say it is really very very troublesome to tie for a full 3ft tank .... almost died from hand cramps! hehehe

one bad thing is that the fishing lines behind the filter can be a potential fish trap
    -Paw here-

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    AirStern, if u set the UGF properly into the gravel and ensure that it is lying flat on the glass, u can use a large rock or driftwood to hold up the UGF so that it doesn't drop. as long as u set it correctly, it won't become a fish trap.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast