Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to plant those crawling foreground plants?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How to plant those crawling foreground plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I've recently buy some small crawling plant (dunno its name) for the foreground of my tank but have been facing difficulty to stick them into the gravel so that it is lying down with root into the gravel. May I seek some experts' advice here of how to plant these type of plants (eg. glosso)?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    [quote]
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2002 1:07:18 PM

Hi,

I've recently buy some small crawling plant (dunno its name) for the foreground of my tank but have been facing difficulty to stick them into the gravel so that it is lying down with root into the gravel. May I seek some experts' advice here of how to plant these type of plants (eg. glosso)?

Thanks.
    ----------------

This one I have seen done by the expert himself ( on tape ! ).

Layout all the plants on a tray with say all the root ends pointing towards you in small bunches or individually - depending on the plant. E.Tellenus will be single plants, Lileopsis will be small bunch of about 10 plants ( leaves?). Glossostigma will be individual plants etc.,
    Now you need a pair of tweezers. Pick up the plant with the tweezer and push into the substrate. For best results there should not be any water in the aquarium while you are planting. Amano Plants in a dry substrate while often wetting the plants with a hand held sprayer. In case you have water in the aquarium however less the planting becomes very difficult.
    Do not add water until all your planting is complete.

Madan Subramanian
    Bangalore, India.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But you see, when you put water in, the plants would be washed away
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no lyon, u can laid a piece of magazine/plastic at the place u pouring in the water

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Madan, thanks for the instructions.

ehmmm... this means there isn't easy way to plant it with the water in the tank. [] For me, most of the time is adding new plants and removing some of the unwanted plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    ----------------
    On 11/28/2002 2:41:39 PM

Madan, thanks for the instructions.

ehmmm... this means there isn't easy way to plant it with the water in the tank. [] For me, most of the time is adding new plants and removing some of the unwanted plants.
    ----------------
    You can still do it if you remove your fish before attempting to plant .
    Empty the water use a sprayer to keep the leaves wet and plant your plants where you want them. Just joking .
    You'll be suprised at how well you can position your plants in a empty tank looking from above without the refraction through the water.

Madan Subramanian
    Banaglore, India.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To plant plants like glosso, a good pair of tweezers would ease your job tremendously. Take stems with roots and plunge them into the gravel. Tedious job but it will be quite rewading if they take off.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Planting carpet plants is, unfortunately, a rather tedious process...

Use a tweezer, grab the plant by the roots, stick the tweezer into the substrate, release the roots, pull out tweezer. It is perfectly fine to plant them so deep that only the top few leave show.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks a lot bro. I've gotten myself a pair of tweezer and will try it out soon.

I manage to take photos of my little tank and the small plant (I called it unknown) that i want to grow at the foreground. Anyone knows what's the name of this plant and prefer to grow at what temperatures? Is it a light demanding plant?

My tank

I hope the link works[:] Comments for improvement are welcome.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's Elatine tiandra. They are light and co2 hungry plant.... for more info, you can refer to the Gallery located at the top of the page.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no problem planting in tank with water, just need to be patient. Are you Singaporean? You know how to fall in on parade square? Well, same concept. You start planting from one corner (right marker!) than plant the next one 2 cm away in a grid fashion. After completing the area you wanted covered you can fill in the middle (i.e. the centre point between 4 plants) until you use of your plants. I find that 2 cm separation is quite ideal as the tweezer movement will not disturb the other newly planted plants. The denser you plant, which means more patience required and a strong back, the faster you get a carpet, especially with glosso and hairgrass.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2002 12:47:47 AM

It's Elatine tiandra. They are light and co2 hungry plant.... for more info, you can refer to the Gallery located at the top of the page.
    ----------------
    ET is also N hungry, in a N limited tank (i.e. NO3 = 0) they will slowly die back. Cut the bunch you have into roughly 1 inch lengths, and plant them about half inch into the substrate using a tweezer. Spread them out over the area you want to cover, they grow fairly fast in good conditions.

As it grows thick, you'll find the bottom layers dying. You need to trim off the top layers every week or 2.

Have also seen this plant tied to driftwood. Been meaning to try that but have not found a niceplace to place them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys, thanks for the information. It is really helpful to understand the plant more in order to grow well. Initially, I was worry about the temp as my tank is 28-30C but at least it is not as bad as glosso (it died off).

My ET doesn't look heathy. some leaves turning yellowish. I think CO2 and light shd be ok in my tank. I'm worry about lacking of N as I see a sign of BGA growing on my ricia and other plants.

Vincent, r u refering N to NO3, etc? I am thinking to get test kits for NO3 and PO4 this coming weekend. Any recommendation of the brand? Heard that some test kit for NO3 can not detect low level of NO3.

If lacking of N, where can I get KNO3? I read many articles using this. My LFS don't have this.

hwchoy, I'm malaysian staying in Singapore but I think I understand what you have written. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 11/29/2002 12:40:13 PM
    hwchoy, I'm malaysian staying in Singapore but I think I understand what you have written. Thanks.
    ----------------
    sorry, but you get the drift have fun and good luck (with the rotting and algae )
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    elatine triandra is quite an easy plant to grow. it is the maintenance that is tougher. grows well at 28deg and 0.5bps of co2 in a 29gallon tank. grow into a thick mat quickly and needs pruning weekly to keep it thin.

another way of planting. if they are in patches, just put them on the gravel and sprinkle just enough gravel on top to prevent them from floating. in 2-3weeks they would have anchored firmly on the gravel.

as for no3 test kits, maybe you would like to try sera. some fellow forumers have good feedback. see this thread you can obtain kno3 from dr mallick. check the lfs list for infomation.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    By N, i mean nitrogen. But we dose N into the tank as NO3.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the help. I had done the replanting. Hope it will grow soon... see some rotting leaves already

Just got Sera NO3 and PO4 test kit yesterday and NO3 is 5mg/l. Anyone know how much is consider good NO3? I read some articles written 10mg/l is preferred.

Tawauboy,
    Is the KNO3 at Dr Mallick shop a aquarium commercial product or I have to mix the stock solution to the correct ppm?

I visited Seachem web and they have new solution for nitrogen. Anyone try it yet? Is it available in Sgp?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    NO3: 5 to 10 ppm is ok.

KNO3: Comes in powder form. You need to mix into a solution to use. Use Chuck Gadd's Dosage Calculator to calculate.

SeaChem N: Have not seen in Sg yet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks vincent. If Seachem N is in Sgp, it will be easy to get at lfs. Seems like there are not many places can get KNO3. Hope Seachem supplier will bring it in soon.