Images
    Country
    Singapore

change water while cycling

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm currently doing the fishless cycling thing for my 1ft cube tank. It's been cycling now for around 1 week, I'm wondering if it's alright to change the water in the tank or should I leave it ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but, BB accumulates in the filter and not the water right? So I was thinking of changing the water...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can change the water. 50% would be good.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The bacteria can colonise on any surface, be it the tank surface, on the gravel, on plants, and so on but the majority is in your filter media where the surface area is the highest. Highest surface area = more area for bacteria to colonise.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...4&postcount=36

Water change is not necessary in fishless cycling. The idea of water changes while cycling is to ensure that when using fish to cycle the tank, ammonia/nitrite doesn't get to a level where you endanger the fish. Since there is no fish, hence no need for water changes.

However, if it is a planted tank where you are dosing fertilisers etc, then water changes may be needed to "reset" the water parameters (preventing the nutrients from building up).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    The bacteria can colonise on any surface, be it the tank surface, on the gravel, on plants, and so on but the majority is in your filter media where the surface area is the highest. Highest surface area = more area for bacteria to colonise.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...4&postcount=36

Water change is not necessary in fishless cycling. The idea of water changes while cycling is to ensure that when using fish to cycle the tank, ammonia/nitrite doesn't get to a level where you endanger the fish. Since there is no fish, hence no need for water changes.

However, if it is a planted tank where you are dosing fertilisers etc, then water changes may be needed to "reset" the water parameters (preventing the nutrients from building up).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    Peter did pointed out that if you have a planted tank with either gex or ada, it would be best to perform regular water changes; twice per week during your initial cycling stages.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I only have what I think is java fern tied to a log and a piece of driftwood with fisssiden tied on it. Would that still be counted as planted? The soil I'm using is a fine white sand...so does that difference cause any impact?

As for the food that I placed inside to encourage the growth of bacteria...should some of it be removed sometimes so as it does not accumulate?

The only thing that I've added to the tank is just anti-chlorine...
    Last edited by benkho; 21st May 2008 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    benk,
    If you have a sparingly planted tank, might want to hold on to food and decay food -> NH4 -> algae since theres little BB to following breakdown the ammonia into nitrite->nitrates.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Alright then, thanks very much for the help...