Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shy Catfish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    OK I did the usual reaing up before I bought and introduce the glass catfish to my tank, and true enough, they are suitable for a community tank... my problem now is this... These guys are so shy!

They constantly hide behind the thickest of plants or below my driftwood, and it sure does help that their body is transparent... 10 catfish and usually can only spot 3-4.... I just discoverd that they are shy of my lights... when my lights go off they are all swimming about happily in the open.

My problem is more worrying than that though... They don't seem to be eating... While in Q'teen, they ate well enough, though I find they did not take flake well... so I gave blood worms. In my community tank now, they don't get any food cuz they hide and all the worms get eaten by my cardinals...

So does anyone have any brilliant ideas as to how to get them to come out and eat while the lights are still on?
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen, u might want 2 try signalling ur fish during 'makan' time. 4 me, I would knock a few time at a certain part of the tank. The fish would swim 2 the part of the tank that I usually feed them. This is good as you would be able 2 see who is present n who is missing. Even the two glass shrimp that I have will come out swimming below the water surface 2 grab anything it could catch. Corydoras too will follow! Try it!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think your light is too bright, thus it's shy of the lights rather than anything else.... Give them some cover to hide under, like for example, plant some duckweed or use some hydrillas, caboombas to grow taller and block out some of the light, this way, they glass catfishes may be tempted to come out more into the shaded open.....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can only find them swimming early in the morning, say about 6 to 7 am. I kept some before. Very sian, man. You need to put the food near them otherwise they blur like sotong.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well I've sort of decided to try and feed the food closer to them... though I'm not sure how much that will help... as for knocking on the glass first, I'll give it a shot, though most of my fish already come zooming to the front once I walk near... (its kinda hard to miss me)

If that doesn't work, I'm sorry to say the glass cats will get down graded to my 2.5ft tank which has less plants, but is considerably less bright... It may also be better for them cuz the flow in that tank is higher as well.
    Allen